Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2008, 10:49   #16
BHPian

I had a similar hit on my dad's Wagon R This was at little above 70kmph. It damaged the radiator and the bumper in a similar way. It cost us a whooping 44K(bumper + grill + radiator + fan damaged + AC refrigent refill + change of one radiator support beam) and Insurance company paid us 11K.

We got stranded there(were heading to Kemmangundi) and it was new year day. So most of the dealers were not there we had to wait about 5 hours in the middle of no where to get a service. The car was getting heated, even at 60-70 kmph.
Old 11th May 2008, 11:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

That was hard luck for you and for the doggie too, but again its uncalled for and these incidents remind us that it could have been anyone on a very bad day with unncessary expenditure incurred on you.
Old 11th May 2008, 13:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Bad luck my friend. 23k for a dog hit! Man!!!

But, it is better that you did not try too much to go and try saving the dog's who are hell bend on getting under the car. But I have felt that dogs are smarter than most other animals on the road and most of the time they go under is due to the fact that they were caught off-guard!
Old 11th May 2008, 15:16   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Sad to hear - both for the dog and your Swift. That bumper will have to be replaced.
Old 12th May 2008, 14:24   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

How can the radiator crack? It is far away from the corner damage.

Also, i would put the same bumper bank in place and live with it for some time.

I cant see how this is a major damage!
Old 12th May 2008, 15:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear about the damage to the car and to the dog if any.

Happened to me when i was driving to Chennai from blore last year. I was clipping on the GQ at approx. 140kmph when I saw a dog running from the opposite lane towards the divider. Quickly checked the RVM's, ascertained that no vehicles were following me closely, stepped on the brakes and changes lanes from extreme right to center lane to extreme left.

Meanwhile the dog bolts across the median, sees my car hurtling towards it with tires squealing slightly and voila !!!

Ever seen a dog pull a handbrake turn? The dog locked the rear legs and went sideways under the car right between the front and rear wheels. I guess the dog crouched very low as I didnt hear and sound from under the car and saw the shocked animal tottering away to the side. Was scary for me but in a few moments I was laughing to myself the way the doggie pulled that stunt.
Old 12th May 2008, 15:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Good Fiesta comes with a dog bar.
Really, I am not aware of this. So I can be more aggressive with kamikaze dogs, in that case .

I too had the misfortune of hitting a dog on NH5 with my Maruti 800 on a long drive to Orissa way back in 1997. Luckily, the dog survived, and I had to replace a headlight--the sealed Jap beams on the older model, that cost me around 500 bucks,apart from a great deal of embarassment of driving the car for 200 Kms with a broken headlight.
Old 12th May 2008, 15:50   #23
BHPian

By seeing the pics i presume that your car's left bumper has hit directly towards the dog's head. just saw a dead dog with its head missing on sunday morning at 6am near tata showroom, i think you were the murderer, you are under arrest...
Old 12th May 2008, 15:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Ever seen a dog pull a handbrake turn? The dog locked the rear legs and went sideways under the car right between the front and rear wheels. I guess the dog crouched very low as I didnt hear and sound from under the car and saw the shocked animal tottering away to the side. Was scary for me but in a few moments I was laughing to myself the way the doggie pulled that stunt.
I guess the dog must have seen BlackPearl's 180 degree turn, and was trying to impress a PYB (a pretty young bitch).
Old 12th May 2008, 16:18   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkraju View Post
The approx estimate for the repairs is 23K. Its high because of the radiator, which has to be replaced. Anyhow, waiting till Monday to hear from the insurance guys on the amount that will be approved for repair.
When my old swift LXI touched a bus in 10-20km speed, Maruti people Estimated 6k for it....later i got a bill of 21k.......that was shocked to me. But insurance helped me and paid 2k from my pocket.

So your estimate is 23k, I'm dam sure that final bill will go above 30k .
Old 12th May 2008, 16:48   #26
BHPian

This is when our good old Amby and Fiats come handy. Nothing would happen to the vehicle. But poor good old dogs have to RIP for sure.
Old 12th May 2008, 18:48   #27
BHPian

some Maruti members here will argue the car bumpers took crash and saved the occupants thus Swift is 5 star in safety ratings.

anyways may the soul of that dog rest in peace.
Old 12th May 2008, 18:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

I am a dog lover so this made my heart skip a beat, But thankfully you are OK and that is what is important. Can't understand why Dogs love fast cars so much.

That's not too bad, I have seen worst damages to stronger cars who have met some dogs.

That's awesome - n_Aditya

Last edited by vkochar : 12th May 2008 at 18:55.
Old 12th May 2008, 19:28   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post
some Maruti members here will argue the car bumpers took crash and saved the occupants thus Swift is 5 star in safety ratings.

anyways may the soul of that dog rest in peace.
Well, for what else are the bumpers, impact beams, crumple zones, etc., installed on the car??
Old 12th May 2008, 20:16   #30
BHPian

hi dude
may the dog's SOUL REST IN PEACE (an avid dog lover)
TAKE CARE

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks