Team-BHP - 24 hour always-on road traffic signals on Chennai roads
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   24 hour always-on road traffic signals on Chennai roads (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/40028-24-hour-always-road-traffic-signals-chennai-roads.html)

Chennai has introduced 24 hour, always-on, road traffic signals at select road junctions. In a city where jumping signals (even during the day time with cops and surveillance cameras around) is the favourite hobby of many, this move is a sure recipe for disaster. I find that at night many people are just whizzing through red signals totally oblivious to the dangers involved and a vehicle facing a green signal "to go" may come into the junction confidently and end up colliding with the traffic signal jumper. The previous system of blinking amber light where atleast the sensible among us slowed down to look around before proceeding is any day (or is it "any night"?!) better. I am aware that 24 hour traffic signals are routine in several countries but there are several 'routine things' in other countries (good or bad) which may not be the best for our country. What is the scenario in other cities in India?

With lights on or off, junctions in India in the night are very dangerous.

Esp Yellow boards drivers who are sick of driving just dont care about checking the other roads while taking on a junction.

I just hope people are aware of this,and make it a point to atleast use caution when they approach a signal. Else,disaster!

The best way would be to employ spike strips which come up on red. Jump a light? All four tires are shredded.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 839775)
The best way would be to employ spike strips which come up on red. Jump a light? All four tires are shredded.

This is a good idea and will teach all the careless drivers a lesson. But, I'm not sure whether it's legal to use spike strips on public roads. I've seen them so far only on private premises, that too in the US.

Regards
Rex

Quote:

Same for a emergency vehicle ?
With red light cameras and a hefty fine, it would generate revenue for good.

Emergency vehicles can be equipped with transmitters which turn their light green.
As for red light camera's many cars jumping red lights have such illegible number plates, that enforcing will be an issue.
Moreover there is no interstate cooperation. So of state vehicles will always go scot free.

Agreed on all points. But who bell the cat? There are far too many babus, top cops, politicians, VIP's all of whom will anyways jump signals !!

I always wonder when government's say they don't have enough money to provide better facilities. One of the greatest revenue earners in India would be fines. Fine people for everything. Nothing hurts people more than parting with money !!! :-)

Quote:

fantastic idea tsk. Hope someone implements this seriously, with a few warnings before the signals, this could be the best way to curb signal jumping.

Why not extend the idea of spike strips for people jumping into the wrong lane trying to turn right. Like the ones (used by rental car companies in US airports) which are harmless when going over it, but harmful when approached in the other direction.

Initially it would certainly cause plenty of traffic jams, people stuck with shredded tyres...but it'd eventually teach lane discipline to our educated and uneducated masses.

Post edited by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT use external picture hosts such as photobucket, imageshack etc. Your pictures have been reloaded via the Team-BHP Attachment system. We advise you to read our board rules carefully, before proceeding any further.

Quote:

Originally Posted by csentil (Post 840037)
One of the greatest revenue earners in India would be fines. Fine people for everything. Nothing hurts people more than parting with money !!! :-)

So let us make India like Singapore. As one can see in several T-shirts sold in Singapore, "Singapore is a FINE city!" lol: I am all for it agree:. Lack of law enforcement is the prime reason for law-breaking.

There's a clever saying that says that the world can be changed, in one generation --- with education.

I can't see how Chennai's drivers can be changed tomorrow, or next week, or next year even, but starting now with proper driving lessons compulsory, and a proper, failable, driving test, would be a great investment for the future.

At the same time, move to get the people who don't even have licences off the road.

As to the night-time signals; yes, it would be a good idea, but no, people ignoring them just increases the danger.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 840910)
As to the night-time signals; yes, it would be a good idea, but no, people ignoring them just increases the danger.

Of late many (not all) signals in Chennai have shifted back to blinking amber (as before) during late night/ very early morning hours. Wonder if this is due to some feedback.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murugan (Post 1507547)
Wonder if this is due to some feedback.

Most likely, negetive feedback. They must have done some data analysis to find out the number of accidents are the same, irrespective. So why waste server time and money.

Dear Commuters of Chennai Roads!
Beware every where one way from to day.Regular commuters, please start early to reach your destination. From Nandanam to Anna Fly over or Gemini is one way.Again from Thousand light to Santhi is one way. EVR road and Gandhi Irwin road is one way. One way near Parrys. Perambur High Road one way.North Boag Road is one way and GN Chetty road is one way. Please check before you start and follow to reac safely and timely to your destination.