Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2008, 00:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Baleno Crash (relatively Small)

I have been talking about our Baleno crash.
Well here are the pictures of the relaively minor crash.
This happen while onroute to Junagadh, Gujarat.
The Swaminarayan Supremo's Accent's rear tail ( stop lights ) lights were not working, so as this accident took place. My father braked very hard and as a result the speed was very much reduced before the crash. my maternal uncle who was sitting in co-passenger front seat was not wearing seat belt and when this occured, he was putting his mobile in the glove box, and so when he was rasising his head, he banged into front windscreen and got 8 stiches in head.

the images are taken by a journalist who happened to be just travelling to other place.

I have to cut the images where a preson's identity was reaveled.
But you will have the images of the damage.
The chorome grill with three bars was damaged and then the old ( the original grille with whih baleno hit india ) grille was given to us.
You can see the Swaminarayan Supremo walking upto the sight.
ABOUT THE BUILD QUALITY OF BALENO:
WE WERE ABLE TO RUN THE ENGINE AND AC EVEN AFTER THE CRASH, BUT DECIDED NOT TO DO SO TO PREVENT SOME OTHER DAMAGE. RIGHT HEADLAMP WAS ALSO WORKING. THE OIL MARKS YOU ARE ABLE TO SEE IN THE IMAGE IS SURPRISINGLY NOT FROM OUR CAR.

Everytime I see this images, I shed tears:
here are the images:

Moral of the story:
1) Always wear seat belts. I urge all TEAM_BHP ians to wear and make other passengers in car to wear seat belts.
2) In the present and in future, I urge all TEAM-BHP ians to have cars with ABS. Dont compromise on this. We really missed ABS in this case. ABS could have reduced the amount of damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Baleno Crash (relatively Small)-bcarsh1.jpg  

Baleno Crash (relatively Small)-bcrash.jpg  

Baleno Crash (relatively Small)-bcrash2.jpg  

Last edited by aaggoswami : 28th May 2008 at 00:26.
Old 28th May 2008, 00:18   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

You're looking at a 10-15 K repair bill. But, she'll be good as new. Dont worry.
Old 28th May 2008, 00:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
You're looking at a 10-15 K repair bill. But, she'll be good as new. Dont worry.
Thanks for the positive reply.

Its my mistake for not providing the time when it happend. It actually happend some time before. Now the car is OK.

The repair bill was Rs 1.17 lakh, and the front grille was the biggest disappointment.
I have also observed that the AC efffectiveness has reduced after the crash.

I was able to find only these images and not the images taken after the reapirs were done. I will be searching for these.

This crash is the reason that why I, in another thread, said that spare parts availablity and cost are an issue.
Old 28th May 2008, 00:38   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Rs. 1.17 lakhs to fix a dented hood and put in a new bumper with painting? Were some internal mechanicals/electricals also damaged then?

EDIT: I overlooked the damaged headlight unit - so that cost would have had to be added to my earlier estimate

Last edited by theMAG : 28th May 2008 at 00:40.
Old 28th May 2008, 01:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

1.17 lacs for a relatively small crash !! this is alarming
Old 28th May 2008, 01:15   #6
BHPian

The repair bill was Rs 1.17 lakh, and the front grille was the biggest disappointment.

man whoa!!!

you paid 1.17 lakhs of rupees for that

there must be a really bad spares issue where you live i had a similar accident and i paid around 32k alomst coverd by insurance and i had to shed 4k from my pocket

not the present car though it was a 2000 model
Old 28th May 2008, 01:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think the high bill is due to the A/C Condensor, Radiator, Fans etc. getting damaged in the impact. Common occurrence in these kind of crashes & on cars like the Baleno (SGP parts I believe) it can be expensive to fix.
Old 28th May 2008, 02:25   #8
Team-BHP Support

1.17L seems ok. Looks like radiator and all front components need replacement. You can see coolant leaked all over.
Old 28th May 2008, 08:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Couple of koshuns:

a. Don't you think the baleno was too close to the accent in the first place, else the crash wouldn't have happened. Sometimes with friends/relatives, we tend to reduce distance over a loong trip.
B. Are the costs same for any car? Same SGP would've applied in Swift D? Or Palio D? Which car in 4-6L range is cheapest in accidental costs?
C. Is there installation of anything which can help? The bull bars (?) would definitely lead to more impact on chassis and non-functional crumple zones. What else?
Old 28th May 2008, 09:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Rs. 1.17 lakhs to fix a dented hood and put in a new bumper with painting? Were some internal mechanicals/electricals also damaged then?

EDIT: I overlooked the damaged headlight unit - so that cost would have had to be added to my earlier estimate
A pair of headlamp unit costed around 12K. We were keen on chanigng only one i.e left side headlamp, but the argument from dealer was : They come in pairs.

There was very minor coolant leak and the liquid you see from under the car is not from our side. At this site just before our accident, there were two more crashes and the one just before us had occurred around 10mins earlier. The people just had moved that 800 and Mahindra Jeep, and then our crash happened.

Considering the minor coolant leak, we thought that we will now change the Radiator, fans and this cost was included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
1.17 lacs for a relatively small crash !! this is alarming
Quote:
Originally Posted by alias View Post

man whoa!!!

you paid 1.17 lakhs of rupees for that

there must be a really bad spares issue where you live i had a similar accident and i paid around 32k alomst coverd by insurance and i had to shed 4k from my pocket

not the present car though it was a 2000 model
The car was in the repairs for one month. Parts were not avaliable. Insurace was just to cumbersome to be asked for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I think the high bill is due to the A/C Condensor, Radiator, Fans etc. getting damaged in the impact. Common occurrence in these kind of crashes & on cars like the Baleno (SGP parts I believe) it can be expensive to fix.
The A/C condersor, was not damaged. It was a very minor puncture in radiator. We decided to change radiator, ac condensor, fans, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
1.17L seems ok. Looks like radiator and all front components need replacement. You can see coolant leaked all over.
yes almost all front components needed replacement. Radiator had a very small puncture. We decided to go for a proper job and no shortcuts because the car is used for very long distance trips. Recently yesterday it came back after doing 955kms ( 790 kms in one day ) in two days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Couple of koshuns:

a. Don't you think the baleno was too close to the accent in the first place, else the crash wouldn't have happened. Sometimes with friends/relatives, we tend to reduce distance over a loong trip.
B. Are the costs same for any car? Same SGP would've applied in Swift D? Or Palio D? Which car in 4-6L range is cheapest in accidental costs?
C. Is there installation of anything which can help? The bull bars (?) would definitely lead to more impact on chassis and non-functional crumple zones. What else?
a) You can read in this post that this site had seen more accidents before us. There is actually a graident coming down from which my father saw that the distance is growing low and he braked. The accent people were not doing high speeds and stopped to look at the accident that had just occured before us.

b) I will have to look for these.

c) NO. No installation can help. Actually the bullbars we add will not allow the crumple zones to be activated properly. So there is no point in having any such accessories.
As pointed out earlier, ABS can help. Thats prevention is better than cure.

One more thing I have observed is that the panel gaps are now somewhat uneven than before.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 28th May 2008 at 09:12.
Old 28th May 2008, 09:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Always wear seat belts. I urge all TEAM_BHP ians to wear and make other passengers in car to wear seat belts.
Front/Back seat : Ensure that everyone wears seat belts.
Old 28th May 2008, 09:30   #12
Team-BHP Support

1.17 is not too much. I had a similar intensity accident in the indica couple of years back, and it cost 96K, with 16K out of my pocket. AC was not damaged then
Things like radiator, headlights, bumper, grill, fenders and host of other minor parts add to the whole bill.
Moreover since insurance is paying everything, the dealers try and get everything replaced.
Old 28th May 2008, 09:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

aaggoswami, Can you give a cost breakup of the repairs if you have the list handy.

1.17lakhs sounds suspiciously high. I guess 12k is the price for the levelling version of headlights.
Old 28th May 2008, 11:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
1.17 is not too much. I had a similar intensity accident in the indica couple of years back, and it cost 96K, with 16K out of my pocket. AC was not damaged then
Things like radiator, headlights, bumper, grill, fenders and host of other minor parts add to the whole bill.
Moreover since insurance is paying everything, the dealers try and get everything replaced.
Yes, you are perfectly right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
aaggoswami, Can you give a cost breakup of the repairs if you have the list handy.

1.17lakhs sounds suspiciously high. I guess 12k is the price for the levelling version of headlights.

@ spadival:
I would really put up the break up of each and every part along with the images of the car after it was repaired. I have lost those scan copies and the original documents are with Reliance as this is company car. I am searching for the photocopies. I am sorry for this as I am unable to provide this.

yes our headlights are with levelling version of headlights.
Old 28th May 2008, 11:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Break Up of 1.17 lakh

Got repair Bill:

After browsing thourgh a huge number of files, of course Himalayan task, I was able to get this bill.

The break up of cost of each and every part is avaliable.

I have tried to hide the identity of persons.
The dealer is Kiran Motors Vadodara.
Here is the scanned Bill:
Attached Thumbnails
Baleno Crash (relatively Small)-baleno-repair-1.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks