Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2008, 21:50   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I am 5'10" 90kg and still I can handle 2 people ( done that in the past ), however, others can also be powerful and we must remember that. Here the other two were both more than 6' and well built.
This is complete over-simplification. There are too many variables in street fights. My Silambam instructor is 5'4" 50kgs, he can disable me (5'8" 80kgs) in few seconds using pressure-points techniques. If you ask me how many can I handle, I have no idea. It all depends on circumstances, opponents and luck. Best policy is to avoid getting physical even at the risk of being called a coward. Everybody is a loser in a street fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
yes for steet fighting you need to be very quick and the last thing to do is " What If i hit him. "? "What will be consequences"? Just hit the best you can. I am writing this from personal experience of having breaking one hand of a car driver.
And I am writing from the experience of never getting physical outside the Dojo in many violent situations. You don't have to be quick, just act harmless, give no provocation, back off, and drive away.
Old 28th May 2008, 22:07   #17
BHPian

Look like Shaquille O'Neal.
Otherwise run the heck away.
Old 28th May 2008, 22:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is complete over-simplification. There are too many variables in street fights. My Silambam instructor is 5'4" 50kgs, he can disable me (5'8" 80kgs) in few seconds using pressure-points techniques. If you ask me how many can I handle, I have no idea. It all depends on circumstances, opponents and luck. Best policy is to avoid getting physical even at the risk of being called a coward. Everybody is a loser in a street fight.
I think that your Silambam instructor wont stop and fight with anyone one the road. Not all street fighters are intelligent. I was referring to two around 5'6" guys who thought they can ride Dio without liscence and anywhere anytime they want.

You stand correct here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
And I am writing from the experience of never getting physical outside the Dojo in many violent situations. You don't have to be quick, just act harmless, give no provocation, back off, and drive away.
Yes, nobody eventually wins. After breaking one in one specific incidence, I hit someone hard and damaged his car somewhat. I still repent so much so that now I avoid using that road.

OT: The above incidence I am talking about damaging is like this.
At a busy juncition no cops were there. everybody rode/drove in. Chaos. A man from corsa Sail gets out and screams at others. Pushses cycle rikshaw and cycle rikshaw ends up in the truck ahead. He pushes my Spirit hard. I instantly apply rear barkes. Headlight cracked. My temper lost. He get heavy beating from me. His wife comes out. I screamed and asked her to move out. The man was now bleeding. I went to his car and climbed onto bonnet. Then kicked his front windsheild. Cracked it. 3 daughters and his wife were terrified. he was from delhi staying at hotel and was here to join friend's marriage function. Was struck up in traffic jam.

At home I felt glorified and told others. My parents gave me high pitched 3 hour lecture. The next day after nights sleep, i repented. I still do. and I avoid using that road.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2008, 23:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Tirthankar,

I am feeling almost sick reading your message, especially #6. You do NOT own the road.

I am not a moralist so all I will say is that your karma will catch up will you someday, or your number plates noted. And you have people in your family too, no?

That said, appreciate your bravado and honesty in posting. God be with you.
Old 29th May 2008, 08:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
  1. Yr 1997 KOL: I drove zip-zap skidded at turnings and galf an hour later I saw from the balcony a swarm of riskshaw pullers combing my colony. Driving away fast : saved me.
  2. Yr. 1999 KOL: soon I saw a number of people chasing me like mad dogs (There was a slum there) I zipped across the narrow lane like crazy and saved myself.
  3. Yr. 2002 KOL: Once I almost hit a biker (becos of his fault) and he blocked my way at the next intersection and got two other bikers into his gang asking me to get out of my car. I was with my parents. I revved my engine hard and let go of the clutch and banged his front wheel off and drove. They followed me for a while and when the time came right, I rolled up my window, gave him my heartfelt abuses and sped off through thick traffic. Again my driving skills helped. And of course the car was M800 so puny overtaker it was.
  4. Yr 2000 Again once a Taxi dented my M800 and I got out and furiously held the taxi drivers collar. other Taxis stopped by and pulled me away. Then I somehow grabbed the taxis key ( I knew to press that button under the steering column fast) I demanded money. This was in posh Sarat Bose Area and to my surprise now some educated local youths came and pushed me away (They were jealous of a young fella having a personal car then) and I had to give the keys back. Now the errant taxi drove off and the other taxis which had stopped by blocked my way for a moment so that I could not follow that taxi!
  5. This one happened just after I got married. and I had a big car now. A drunkard suddenly banged my bonnet when I was driving through a street. He asked for money and shouted to the public that I had hit him or something. I veered my car like crazy through a single lane road and suddenly he was in front of my car. I just sped off to the main road. Luckily he gave way.
  6. Again once I was driving down a flyover and a hefty young man was trying to cross the road stubbornly. The traffic behind me was such (full of amby taxis) that If I slowed, I would have been rear ended. I honked and honked. He the stubborn didnt budge. I drove on and he landed on my bonnet first and then on the road. Next thing, my reflexes made me change gear so fast that my clutch cable snapped. I could see a crowd gathering in the RVM and I managed to drive the car clutchless (old experience) into a colony and left then right and left into the interiors and phew!
Maybe the person who blocked your way in # 5 is the same one from incident # 1, #2 or #3 & after you hit him, he hooked on to dharu

If ever I want to pull a Italian job kind of stunt, I know whom to contact.
cheers:

Last edited by eclectix 1st : 29th May 2008 at 08:02.
Old 29th May 2008, 08:54   #21
BHPian

Morality Resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Tirthankar,

I am feeling almost sick reading your message, especially #6. You do NOT own the road.

I am not a moralist so all I will say is that your karma will catch up will you someday, or your number plates noted. And you have people in your family too, no?

That said, appreciate your bravado and honesty in posting. God be with you.

The person deliberately cut my path and remember I was coming down a flyover. He was so stubborn he did not even jog, he just walked slowly and challenging me to screech to a halt. As I have mentioned he was an able bodied hefty youth and not an old person or a handicap.

Who would have paid the damages to my car if I were rear ended? There are many public like this in our country like this who cause serious mishaps.

I am not using my car to make the car garages rich isnt it? I have the right to save my vehicle from damage.
Old 29th May 2008, 09:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

You do not have the right to take someone else's life. If you went to a court, you would be facing 14 years.

Please wake up and smell the roses. And like I said, we all have family. Let us not be reminded ourselves of our frailty when someone else decides that he has the "right to save his vehicle from damage."

And flyover or not, city speed limits are 50 mostly and the occasional 60. Had you been within limits, that would've not happened. So you can be booked under that as well.

And since you are giving useless and sick argument, let me ask you a counter point. What if a big boulder of 80 kg weight and size had come in front. Would you have just blown the horn?

Don't bother answering my friend - I have already read the disregard for other's life in previous posts.

Quote:
I am not using my car to make the car garages rich isnt it? I have the right to save my vehicle from damage.
Wonderful comment. If only someone had reported your car to the police, and you been in jail for murder right now, then I would've seen what you would've written.

/Despite being a biker, have multiple times went off the road, and recently hit the divider in an attempt to avoid hitting a pedestrian.
PS: If anyone ever did something like that in front of my eyes, BHPian or not, I would take a pic of that car if posible, and ensure my level best to get him/her prosecuted.

Last edited by phamilyman : 29th May 2008 at 09:10.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2008, 09:15   #23
BHPian

Angel Cops

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
Maybe the person who blocked your way in # 5 is the same one from incident # 1, #2 or #3 & after you hit him, he hooked on to dharu

If ever I want to pull a Italian job kind of stunt, I know whom to contact.
cheers:
In Kolkata, if u ever get into a mess, God help u. You will be surrounded by slumites and localites soon and they will haggle you and rain abuses. They will never support u. Not even the police.

Some decade back, once my drunk friend was driving and honked a procession in Kolkata. He was a kind of psycho anyways.

Moments later I found him out of the car and fighting with the crowd all alone. Now the crowd overpowered him and beat him badly. Now the crowd came to me and tried to attack me. I told I was not driving and handled them calmly. Fortunately I was not harmed but they were all shouting at me.

Then the cops came and put us all into the police van. (the kind we used to see Sanjay Dutt in). They took us to the police station and released us after the commissioner's relative came and intervened. My drunk friend was still holding on to his beer bottle and continued drinking inside the police station. I have never spoken to that messed up guy since that day and severed all connections with him.

I told the cops why they brought me to the police station?

The cops said, if they did not bring us from there, we would have been really messed up by public. And there was a point.
Old 29th May 2008, 09:43   #24
R.G
BHPian

I think the thread has gone bit off topic. The thread starter intended a self defence strategy .
From my personal experience , shouting/fighting with taxi walas , auto wala or any of the public transport drivers is of no use. They wont manhandle you unless they are provoked. Always remember , if there happens a fight , you too are a possible victim of that.Keeping cool and thinking for a good way out is what you can do.

To handle , guys who deliberately wants to pick up a fight . If you are alone and dont think you can over power them , try to speed away and get to a safe place. Else , if you are confident enough or in a company , give them the taste of their own medicine.

Keeping a weapon without knowing how to use is as good as keeping a weapon for an enemy to attack you with.

As with karate , Street fighting is entirely different from a martial art. If you know the best way to knock the other guy down in one shot , that is what matters.

I would suggest , pepper spray is the best defence for anyone.
Old 29th May 2008, 09:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
You do not have the right to take someone else's life. If you went to a court, you would be facing 14 years.

Please wake up and smell the roses. And like I said, we all have family. Let us not be reminded ourselves of our frailty when someone else decides that he has the "right to save his vehicle from damage."

And flyover or not, city speed limits are 50 mostly and the occasional 60. Had you been within limits, that would've not happened. So you can be booked under that as well.

And since you are giving useless and sick argument, let me ask you a counter point. What if a big boulder of 80 kg weight and size had come in front. Would you have just blown the horn?

Don't bother answering my friend - I have already read the disregard for other's life in previous posts.

Wonderful comment. If only someone had reported your car to the police, and you been in jail for murder right now, then I would've seen what you would've written.

/Despite being a biker, have multiple times went off the road, and recently hit the divider in an attempt to avoid hitting a pedestrian.
PS: If anyone ever did something like that in front of my eyes, BHPian or not, I would take a pic of that car if posible, and ensure my level best to get him/her prosecuted.
All I can say is that since I only knew the complexity of that situation, I had to do what I did. I was driving at 35 something and did slow down to some 20. I was not driving a Tata 407 either so that he would have come under my wheels.

If I had disregard for human life then I would not have a driving record of appx. 2 lakh kms in 18 years behind me. In many situations, I have swerved to save cows, dogs, cats, farmers and idiots on the road. That situation was split second and had to happen. It was not that I was deliberately charging the person or something. I have a family too!
Old 29th May 2008, 09:47   #26
BHPian

I guess we are going off topic. Handling a mob is different from dissuading a few unruly guys, though it is best to try to avoid both in the first place. Also, fisticuffs may not be particularly suited if the victim happens to be a lady.

I see from the posts here that some of us prone to road rages. I would be interested in knowing my options if I ever fall prey to such incidences. I for one would be really interested in knowing how to dissuade a person if he decides to attack me and jumps onto my bonnet!
Old 29th May 2008, 09:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

Boss,

Having read your triplogs and having deep admiration for them, I very well know that there must've been some compulsions. But me, I cannot imagine hitting another human ever - unless its something that happened so quick that despite my best maneuvers I could not save them.

Maybe your post was misleading, but I don't get that feeling reading it that you did your level best.
Old 29th May 2008, 10:16   #28
BHPian

Quote:
something that happened so quick that despite my best maneuvers I could not save them.
That was exactly the case.
Old 29th May 2008, 10:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The person deliberately cut my path and remember I was coming down a flyover. He was so stubborn he did not even jog, he just walked slowly and challenging me to screech to a halt.
Quote:
All I can say is that since I only knew the complexity of that situation, I had to do what I did. I was driving at 35 something and did slow down to some 20. I was not driving a Tata 407 either so that he would have come under my wheels.
Quote:
Maybe your post was misleading, but I don't get that feeling reading it that you did your level best.
I am also not quite 'convinced' here. Thirty-five kmph is hardly speed from which one would need to screech to a halt. This seems more like a mild case 'road rage' to me.
In Delhi it is common to find such 'pedestrians' who saunter across a road, even after having seen your car approaching. Their only (perverted) pleasure seems to be to make you come to a virtual stop.
Old 29th May 2008, 10:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I have 4 pepper Sprey ordered from their website online, my office building owner who owns city taxy and drives as well took one from me. Other 3 I have kept in my home I guess my family members might take it soon.
Ravi, Can you please give me the website for buying Pepper spray.
cheers:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks