Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2020, 15:33   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Self Defense Materials

Tasers and stun guns are thought to have caused some heart attacks in the past. Some citizens have even sued the cops that used them.
Old 6th March 2020, 15:35   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Some Shampoo is all you need:
Screw Trump, Biden, and Bernie. I want Wille Murphy as President!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I have been keeping an aluminum baseball bat on the floor ... not exactly appearing to be a weapon.
Do you live in the Bombay that is in India? Why do you think a baseball bat would be considered "sporting equipment" in Bombay/Mumbai?

Aluminum baseball bats are so dangerous (high ball exit speeds) that California is proposing a ban on them for use in the sport.

The best weapon I know is the word "Sorry". I have survived 57 years across 3 continents (including about 3 years in Hell's Kitchen), despite having a chip on my shoulder and a glib mouth, using "Sorry".

Last edited by navin : 6th March 2020 at 15:46.
navin is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 16:44   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Do you live in the Bombay that is in India? Why do you think a baseball bat would be considered "sporting equipment" in Bombay/Mumbai.
Well let’s say it stays well hidden in the car and does not attract attention as much as say a taser etc.

It is extremely dangerous, that’s exactly why I keep it in the car. It’s for the times when perhaps “sorry” will not work. I too have spent 55 years on God’s earth to know our roads/highways and more importantly people have changed for the worse. It’s always better to be prepared than leave things to chance.

On a lighter note, as Robert De Niro says in Untouchables “a man can get a lot further with a kind word and a gun, than with just a kind word”.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 11:44   #109
BHPian

It is a little concerning to see some posts advocating keeping/using metal bats and the likes for self defense. There is not "good-outcome" scenario with them, let me explain:
1) Unless you are actually trained to use them, it is not difficult to have them snatched from you and used against you. That can end really badly for you.
2) If you are trained to use them - and use them - it will be a criminal offense under several sections of the IPC. It will be a serious escalation of a road fight to bring out a weapon like that and use it.
It's a different matter that most people just keep it in the car since it gives them a false sense of security.

As some have said above, a calm but firm mind, tone and appropriate language deescalates most road situations. The recent road rage example in Bangalore, on a TBhpian, is an excellent example of how to handle a situation like that. Sure he had an injury or two but that could have been much worse if he had fought back - and he would have a much weaker case to put those guys behind bars.

If all else fails and you are in a bad soup with:
1) 1-3 people: Learn basic self defense martial arts. Disable and run. The only time I got into a road encounter with a man hell bent on punching me because I honked at him, I had him in a rear naked choke and on the ground in <2 mins. His demeanour was completely changed after that. And because I had not punched him or shouted or lost my temper, I could just calmly walk away.
2)>3 people: Don't get out of the car and if possible don't stop the car. And shout for "Help" as loudly as you can. No weapon/training etc work here unless you have people to help you. A pepper spray may buy you time to run away so that might be worthwhile having in the car. Again, no blunt weapons!
niranjanrvce is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 11:13   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
It is a little concerning to see some posts advocating keeping/using metal bats and the likes for self defense. There is not "good-outcome" scenario with them
Yeah, this is my feeling too. I'm not a physically strong guy and the last physical fight I had was about 23 years ago, in college. So even if I did carry a weapon, I'm pretty sure the other party would be able to take it away from me and use it on me!

I'd really like to ask all those advocating carrying iron rods, bats, nun-chucks, etc. if they have actually been in a situation where they had to use/brandish them and how it all turned out. Real encounters please.

Edit: read through the thread and found one. Any more?

Last edited by am1m : 13th March 2020 at 11:22.
Old 13th March 2020, 12:11   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

Edit: read through the thread and found one. Any more?
just start sneezing and coughing at whoever you are encountering. Problem solved.
Red Liner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 12:22   #112
BANNED

I think that pepper spray is one of the best defense items to carry while travelling as:-

1.Pepper spray is portable and can easily be carried on your person or in a woman’s handbag. It is also easy to conceal.
2.Pepper spray is generally non-lethal and does not have any long-lasting effects. It can end an attack without the use of physical force or violent action.
3.Pepper spray is relatively easy to use and does not take years of training to effectively deploy it.
Old 4th January 2021, 15:28   #113
BHPian

I wanted to share a self defence device that was gifted to me by my dad. This was a beautiful chain modded by my grandfather for self defence and was passed on to my dad.

This is the most compact, light weight, discrete and quite lethal device I have seen. This can be easily slid into the pocket when roaming around dark alleys in an unknown city/village. Could be a life-saver during travel and exploring with family. It can also be rolled around the knuckles to throw some damaging punches.

Attached Thumbnails
Self Defense Materials-whatsapp-image-20210104-3.23.52-pm.jpeg  

Self Defense Materials-whatsapp-image-20210104-3.23.53-pm.jpeg  

Self Defense Materials-whatsapp-image-20210104-3.23.54-pm-1.jpeg  

Self Defense Materials-whatsapp-image-20210104-3.23.54-pm.jpeg  

Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:48   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
I wanted to share a self defence device that was gifted to me by my dad. This was a beautiful chain modded by my grandfather for self defence and was passed on to my dad.
Isn't this what you see goondas in film (or otherwise) use? Walking around in the city with one in a pocket is a sure shot recipe to get arrested IMO.
Jaguar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 20:01   #115
BHPian

I just saw a Dashcam video where a car was smashed by the local goons. Absolutely no fault of the driver and it looked pre-planned. This got me thinking of getting a pepper spray can. Naturally I searched team BHP and found this thread. Now the question I have in my mind is that, can pepper spray can be safely stored in the car dashboard compartment. Has there been any episode of pepper spray leaks or explosions? We obviously don't such a scenario of pepper spray exploding especially when the car is occupied. Request fellow members to provide their insights please.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks