Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2008, 20:51   #16
BHPian

This is scary Man!!!

I'm glad that nothing serious happened and you all are safe. Thinking about it again, i cant even imagine how harrowing it could have been.
Old 4th June 2008, 21:12   #17
BHPian

Scary experience..

I am surprised that the service centre owned up.. Generally, their tone is "The tyre came off!! What did you do to the tyre? Did you do all this to fleece off our poor service centre?"
Old 4th June 2008, 21:58   #18
BHPian

Holy Mother. That was close. Drive safe man. Great that the service guys refunded the complete costs..
Old 4th June 2008, 22:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
The designers didn't cover for the inefficiency of the service center

on a serious note, mahindra should really improve its quality of service. no point in giving good tech laden cars if the guy servicing it is not trained to handle even the basics like changing tyres!
Old 4th June 2008, 23:33   #20
Team-BHP Support

That really was an experience which i sure wouldnt like to have, glad to know all came out unharmed and good that service center took the tab, or else you should have sued the hell out of em.
Old 4th June 2008, 23:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was still trying to figure out what they were trying to say, when I saw the unmistakable shape of a Scorpio tyre merrily bouncing away ahead of me.
Apart from lines like this which made me almost fall off my chair, it seems quite scary. esp lucky that you werent on the expressway already.

Hope they get it back to shape as good as new. keep us posted with pics.
Old 5th June 2008, 10:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thats the key learning for everyone here, good that you were not driving ont he expressway then and were able to handle the situation properly.

But doesnt M&M have a 24x7 On-road service, you should've called them directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivtho View Post

The most important lesson I've learnt is that if your car is giving you signals that all is not well - DON'T IGNORE IT! I realize now that we should have stopped until we could get the souce of the sound from the rear assertained by a competent mechanic. I also realize that we were very lucky that day. If the wheel had come off 1/2 an hour later, it would have done so while we were on the expressway at 120+ km/h where the results could have been disasterous.

I hope those who read this post will have learnt something from it. I certainly did.
Old 5th June 2008, 11:18   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quite scary to even imagine. But didnt the vehicle go down on the rear left when the tyre ran off? Or did it manage to balance tself on 3 wheels?

On a lighter note, that would have been one technology-laden 3 wheeler.
Old 5th June 2008, 11:38   #24
BHPian

Glad all is well, Vivtho.

Extremely un-nerving experience indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivtho View Post
The most important lesson I've learnt is that if your car is giving you signals that all is not well - DON'T IGNORE IT! .
Did you manage to figure out the exact cause or can we just assume that a loose nut caused it all.
Old 5th June 2008, 11:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Gosh, that was a close shave indeed! Thank God all is well now.
So as a lesson learnt, do you think we should inspect our wheel nuts before going on a long journey, especially if vehicle has been recently serviced with wheel rotation/ balancing?
Old 5th June 2008, 12:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

I had seen this once happen to an Amby. I was walking along the road (in Hospet, on the Hospet - Bellary road). I heard the sound of a vehicle coming from behind and then suddenly I heard a screeching sound. Before I could turn back, I saw a tyre going really fast towards Bellary and the Amby dragging itself after the tyre with sparks coming off from the road. It was driven by mechanics, most probably on a test ride - they must have forgotten to tighten to wheel nuts. But imagine if the tyre had come and hit me.
Old 5th June 2008, 12:31   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
That must have been fairly harrowing. I almost had a similar incident with 2 lug nuts flying off my front right wheel during the last T-BHP Nandi Hills drive - but caught the problem in time.
I too had a similar incident during one of our tbhp drives in Hyderabad. Thankfully, Rider60 saw that my rear right tyre nuts were all loose and the tyre was wobbling and frantically waved me to stop and then tightened the nuts.

It threw a scare into me and kept a respectful speeds the whole drive. Next day, went to the tyre alignment store and screw** his happiness
Old 5th June 2008, 13:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

That was a scary experience! Thank heavens, it happenend at a lower speed!

I think we need to ensure that everytime a tyre is removed & put back, during a punture repair/rotation etc, the SC/tyre guy tightens the nuts!
Maybe, just ask him if it is tightened & check it yourself as well.
Old 5th June 2008, 13:22   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
That was a scary experience! Thank heavens, it happenend at a lower speed!

I think we need to ensure that everytime a tyre is removed & put back, during a punture repair/rotation etc, the SC/tyre guy tightens the nuts!
Maybe, just ask him if it is tightened & check it yourself as well.

Thanks. That's a doable solution and i will sure remember this after my servicing/tyre change happens.
Old 9th June 2008, 11:47   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Isn't this the top of the line m- Hawk? Doesnt it have sensors in the wheel to detect any problems? Or it is just for sensing air pressure?

I am surprised that the service center waived off Rs. 35000.
Yes this is the m-Hawk. The sensors on the wheel only detect the type pressure and temperature.

My father is someone who will not take no for an answer. This was clearly the service center's fault as it was a brand new car and was serviced just 1-2 weeks before this incident. He documented everything and was prepared to go to court. The service center initially was trying to pass the blame, but eventually came around.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks