Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2008, 20:19   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

CAI will suck only cold air: even if sucking in air just next from the engine :-)

I was in GreenTracks today to get the horn of my Palio S10 looked at. There I saw a Black Pailo Stile 1.6 Sports that was undergoing an oil change. I liked the car and struck up a conversation with the owner -- a young chap with oodles of attitude.

The stile 1.6 had a K&N that was placed in a manner similar tothis (picture just for illustration purposes -- not of the stile 1.6. It is of a cedia and taken from a fellow t-bhpians post)
CAI will suck only cold air: even if sucking in air just next from the engine :-)-23474d1214234338tincreaselowendpickupdsc01848copy.jpg

I asked the owner as to why he had the K&N that way and that it would be sucking in hot air and he may not be getting the best out of his K&N. The chap mentioned that it is a CAI so it will suck cold air only and it doesn't matter where it is. I was puzzled and questioned him again and mentioned that at least he should get a heat shield and he again said that it is a CAI so will suck in cold air ONLY. I did mention that whoever sold him did did not advise him properly and then he mentioned that his brother is a rally driver and CAI will suck cold air only -- irrespective of where it is placed. At this point I realized that the conversation was not going anywhere so I closed the conversation and moved on.

Question to the gurus here:
  • Is there ANY merit to the points mentioned by that chap?
In my personal opinion -- that chap was talking rubbish.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th June 2008 at 03:03. Reason: tat = that
Old 28th June 2008, 20:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

You are right, he is talking absolute rubbish. And you will be surprised at how many people think that this is true.
Old 28th June 2008, 20:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
The chap mentioned that it is a CAI so it will suck cold air only and it doesn't matter where it is.

etc
etc
etc
At this point I realized that the conversation was not going anywhere so I closed the conversation and moved on.
The guy is so full of hot air, no wonder he needed a CAI.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2008, 20:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Maybe theres a water cooled thingy inside it which cools the air it has sucked in

You should have said that to him :P
Old 29th June 2008, 00:31   #5
Team-BHP Support

CAI is Cold Air Intake, so its anybodys guess where to find Cold Air for the intake, its never inside Hot engine bay or near the exhaust side, if you ask me. Biggest mistake which all makes while modding the intake with universal type filters.
Old 29th June 2008, 00:50   #6
BHPian

as in the case of the palio qwner,a liitle knowledge is dangerous
Old 29th June 2008, 00:52   #7
BHPian

Just a suggestion to protect the young dudes rallying bro. Is it possible that during the legs the car is travelling at higher speeeds to allow more of the fresher air underhood so as to negate the convectional air from the headers and engine itself being sucked in?
Old 29th June 2008, 01:45   #8
BHPian

Some People are ignorant, Some are just plain dumb. Ignore the Second Variety.
Old 29th June 2008, 02:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ignorance is bliss... no?
Old 29th June 2008, 06:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
Just a suggestion to protect the young dudes rallying bro. Is it possible that during the legs the car is travelling at higher speeeds to allow more of the fresher air underhood so as to negate the convectional air from the headers and engine itself being sucked in?

That would be partly true. But one would still get a LOT of warm air from the radiator. So HOT becomes WARM at higher speeds, but in no way COLD!!
Old 29th June 2008, 07:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Maybe you should ask him why he has an AC in his car , when his CAI can do the same job
Old 29th June 2008, 08:35   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Maybe you should ask him why he has an AC in his car , when his CAI can do the same job
greenhorn, that's wicked... ... as rightly said, little knowledge is very dangerous at times.
Old 29th June 2008, 09:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

This is wrong. CAI ( Cold Air Intake ) that too near the hot engine wont be able to make the air cold when it passes through the filter, IMO. The person definately is not properly informed about this. Clearly he wont be getting the best of the modification he did.

BTW, does from the image provided, I felt that air intake inlet is also getting hot and in turn the color changed to blue. Is this true ?
Old 29th June 2008, 09:56   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
BTW, does from the image provided, I felt that air intake inlet is also getting hot and in turn the color changed to blue. Is this true ?

nope thats a pic from torquegurus cedia. its a k&n typhoon kit and the pipe is painted blue.
Old 29th June 2008, 10:08   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe this was an ICAI: Iintelligent Cold Air Intake!

Maybe it sucks up cold air when the engine is not running, and stores it.

Maybe...

(But I have a feeling I've seen this pic, or very similar, here before, within the past few weeks?)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks