Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2005, 23:37   #61
cnu
BHPian

Rahul,

That was a very awful incident to hear..

Never know whats up ahead.. Its always better to be precautionary.

cnu
Old 14th July 2005, 22:37   #62
BHPian

Finally got some pics .............

Hey guys , i was just searching the photos of my OHC 1.5 , though i did find the album but guess what , i saw few photos of my long gone octavia as well . So here are few of them ..........

p.s Better late than never ..........

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th July 2005 at 13:46.
Old 19th July 2005, 19:47   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
You can still transfer your insurance policy - As RJkulkarni said, go with Tata-AIG which is by far the best insurance company I have dealt with.

GTO
Just booked a vehicle for complete loss & got the cheque within a week's time. Excellent service.

The surveyor talks and acts in a professional manner, which I had not seen with any other surveyors of other insurance companies. We have policies in almost all the insurance companies ( all the vehicles are company owned)
Old 20th August 2005, 10:30   #64
BHPian

a copy of my post on another thread
thought i would put it up here as well

Braking distance DECREASES with ABS

How??- Ok lets go thru the normal argument of apllying and re-applint the brakjes etc etc

Now what actually happens when you press the pedal that there is Braking force on the wheels.
This force is non linear - >ie. it does not increase in a completely linear manner as you press the pedal more and more on a graph.
The point just before the wheels lock & overcome friction and slide is the actually the point of Maximum braking effect- lets call it mu.
Now when you brake conventially, and you go beyond mu, your brakes lock and lose their effect. OTOH, if you dont brake hard enough, you do not reach the point of Max braking efficiency Mu.

However when you slam the brakes when having ABS, what happens is the brakes operate till point Mu, and as theyjsut slip the brakes are released and reapplied all the way to point Mu and what happens is that you pass thru point Mu, many times, thus in effect appllying max braking pressure almost throughout, something which is not possible manually

This repeated passing thru Mu, ensures a shorter stopping distance.

cheerio
Old 13th October 2005, 21:57   #65

Safety 2 Safety

Hello people this is visual .. i really heartedly agree on the safety of passengers sitting behind. cauz u c when i had an 800 & my bro used 2 drive , it had no seat belts behind.

I requested him 2 put seatbelts cauz i belive in safety first .. but he didn`t listen ... i know the way he drives ... but !

There had been an accident no a very major as no 1 used u get any injury ... but i remeber 1 trip 2 sum pandit who actually stayed sumwhere in a remote location. As my mom was found of it, we had 2 visit , searching the place.

u wudn`t belive ther was a guy on the road who was waiving his hand .. but my bro didn`t stop .. he actually speeded up on the plain road hitingaround 60 - 90 Km/hr. & then suddenly braking on my dad`s command. My mom was sitting on the rear seat behind the co-driver seat .. she just flew in front .. Lucky nothing happend 2 her.

Today also i feel pity tat the guy my bro sayin seatbelt saved his life .. but wudn`t belive it 4 others as well !
Old 8th December 2008, 22:18   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Seen (or been part of) at least 8-10 accidents involving dogs and buffalows.
Once i was driving from Kasargod to Calicut (Mallu land). It was a narrow road, i was driving in 90kmph in my opel corsa, a bull was about to cross my road, a lorry was in the right side of my so i cant drive pass it, i went right into it, the buffalows face hit my side view mirror and it broke
Old 9th December 2008, 02:06   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by visual-insanity View Post
Hello people this is visual .. i really heartedly agree on the safety of passengers sitting behind. cauz u c when i had an 800 & my bro used 2 drive , it had no seat belts behind.

I requested him 2 put seatbelts cauz i belive in safety first .. but he didn`t listen ... i know the way he drives ... but !

There had been an accident no a very major as no 1 used u get any injury ... but i remeber 1 trip 2 sum pandit who actually stayed sumwhere in a remote location. As my mom was found of it, we had 2 visit , searching the place.

u wudn`t belive ther was a guy on the road who was waiving his hand .. but my bro didn`t stop .. he actually speeded up on the plain road hitingaround 60 - 90 Km/hr. & then suddenly braking on my dad`s command. My mom was sitting on the rear seat behind the co-driver seat .. she just flew in front .. Lucky nothing happend 2 her.

Today also i feel pity tat the guy my bro sayin seatbelt saved his life .. but wudn`t belive it 4 others as well !
What are you trying to say and what is the relevance to this thread? You need to attend Yeti's English classes as well - FYI, sms lingo is not acceptable on t-BHP. Wonder how your post escaped the mods eagle eyes.
Old 9th December 2008, 05:33   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
What are you trying to say and what is the relevance to this thread? You need to attend Yeti's English classes as well - FYI, sms lingo is not acceptable on t-BHP. Wonder how your post escaped the mods eagle eyes.
The post you are referring to was posted on 13th Oct 2005!!! Still, it is a wonder that it got through
Old 9th July 2010, 16:37   #69
Senior - BHPian

I am complete noob to driving and now have an ABS/EBD equipped car. Assuming that this is the right thread to post query.

I have heard from many that the best way to apply break is to pump them. My question here is does this apply to ABS as well? From what I understand pumping is done to decrease the load on breaks and hence increasing the efficiency by delaying the heat up, however I am not sure if the same could be applied to ABS.

So kindly advice, what is best way to apply breaks on an ABS vehicle pumping or the normal depressing it to abysmal!

Note to mods: I did go through most of the thread and did not find any relavant information, sorry if I have missed them and delete the post if found redundant!
Old 9th July 2010, 16:40   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I am complete noob to driving and now have an ABS/EBD equipped car.

I have heard from many that the best way to apply break is to pump them. My question here is does this apply to ABS as well?
You do not need to pump brakes in ABS equipped cars. The cars computer will take care of pulsing the brakes so that it does not get locked.

Many people who has stood on their brakes during emergency braking say that they feel the pulse ( I have never felt it thou ).
Old 9th July 2010, 21:00   #71
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure what 'pulse' is being referred to. I don't recollect feeling any kind of 'push-back' when you slam the breaks in a car that has ABS. It does feel rather smooth, IMO, when you need to literally stand on the brakes to come to a stop in an emergency.
Old 9th July 2010, 21:07   #72
Senior - BHPian

ABS comes into play ONLY when the wheels start skidding. If you are a sane driver with access to good roads and traffic sense, you will never feel the ABS kicking.

I have felt it in snow, when it starts skidding the ABS releases and reapplies the brake (I am told upto 200 times per second) causing the "pulsating".

ABS or not, you don't have to stand on the brakes for a quick stop unless there is something really wrong with your vehicle.
Old 28th November 2016, 18:53   #73
BHPian

Re: Think Safety , Think Abs !!!

Hi,

I use a Ford Classic 1.4 TDci, Diesel variant 2014 August Model. My Car has done 40000 km till date. Nowadays while applying brakes I feel the vehicle is vibrating a lot compared to earlier days and I know ABS is responsible for the same, but is there any difference in nature as the the car age more? Is it something to do with the brakepads, I can even feel the vibration to my steering as well and will get a bit nervous when I'm applying brakes from high speeds (110s to 140s). Could some one throw some light on how to maintain / service the ABS part in my car. Where I can get it checked for precision in Bangalore. please help.
Old 28th November 2016, 19:00   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Think Safety , Think Abs !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
Hi,

I use a Ford Classic 1.4 TDci, Diesel variant 2014 August Model. My Car has done 40000 km till date. Nowadays while applying brakes I feel the vehicle is vibrating a lot compared to earlier days and I know ABS is responsible for the same, but is there any difference in nature as the the car age more? Is it something to do with the brakepads, I can even feel the vibration to my steering as well and will get a bit nervous when I'm applying brakes from high speeds (110s to 140s). Could some one throw some light on how to maintain / service the ABS part in my car. Where I can get it checked for precision in Bangalore. please help.
It's not the ABS. Get your brake rotors/discs checked for unusual and uneven wear. The most likely cause for vibrations passed to steering wheel while braking is due to the discs.

If your discs have lived their life (based on usage), you need to get them either skimmed through a professional lathe or replaced completely.

Read this post and the subsequent responses that should help you:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4100339

Last edited by paragsachania : 28th November 2016 at 19:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks