Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2008, 12:03   #16
Team-BHP Support

the problem with noida is that stopping anywhere at night can get you shot or mugged. There have been so many cases of late night looting in Noida. Only those where somebody is shot at have made it to the papers.
So do not expect anybody to stop at night.
Moreover in NCR area there have been cases where the victim who was rescued has said that the car guy has hit him
Once on radio(Kiran Bedi's show), a guy called up and said that he always used to help accident victims.
One fine day he saw a biker fallen down. He called the police and took the biker to hospital. He spoke to the ACP also etc.,
The guy died in hospital, and police registered a case against him, since by doing that they don't have to try and find the actual culprit.
After hearing that story, I doubt anybody will help any accident victim!

I once took an accident victim to hospital, and probably that saved his life too, but after the experience where I was accused , I don't think I will do that again. I was lucky that day because the truck driver came forward and confessed, otherwise I would have been looking for bail instead of him.
Old 21st August 2008, 12:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hats off to you B2BW and I salute your humanity. Many many years ago when I used to ride a Bullet I too was a very good smaritan and used to help accident victims or people stranded on roads due to vehicle breakdown etc.

But one bad experience paid put to all my goodness. It was sometime in 1987 or 88 when I was returning from Karol Bagh where I was visitng a friend to JNU where I lived around 8 pm via the wireless station road, ridge road, Buddha jayanti park. I saw a man lying on that desolate road face down bleeding from the head. Looked around and didn't find any vehicle etc., around. Mobiles were unheard of.. In those days that road used to be desolate after 6 pm because of the Billa/Ranga episode. I think I detected his breathing and immediately raced towards the main ridge road hoping to find a PCR and I found one slowly patrolling. I told them about the man and took them there. They put the person in the jeep and took him to some hospital and before that took down my name, address and number.

I reached home around 10:30 pm feeling good having tried to save a man's life. I get a shock of life when at 4 am a police jeep landed at my place to take me to hospital (willingdon) to identify the man as he died in the night. Well, I went along and identified that this was the same man whom I found and then all hell broke loose. I was taken to parliament street PS and detained there, interrogated, accused that it was I who caused that accident and what not. I was fortunate that my father had a student whose uncle was Mr. Nikhil Kumar the then Addl. CP of Delhi Police due to which I was released at 11 pm in the night having spent close to 18 hrs in the PS without water or toilet access. I was dejected, demoralised and angry for having suffered this for doing a good turn. I vowed that I'll never ever help anyone in distress, more so if that person happened to be an absolute stranger.

Now, I don't offer any help and rather close my eyes and shut my ears and drive away. The guilt pangs do gnaw heavily but I'm helpless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
All you guys with cars pls stop and offer assistance if you ever come accros such a thing its the Humane thing to do.
Old 21st August 2008, 12:29   #18
BANNED

The best thing to do would be to find a PCO and call the police / ambulance from there and let the authorities handle it.

OT: I can believe the stories about the NCR police. My sister lost her handbag with all her stuff inside it. As she was narrating her complaint at the police station, she saw a person typing the "Not Found" report, which was handed over to her after her complaint was registered!
Old 21st August 2008, 12:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

B2BW, fantastic job. But like so many here have related their experiences & their trauma after helping some one in need, now you will know the reason why most people do not stop to help. Getting your car cleaned is one thing, accused of a crime is still another. With inefficient low paid cops in our system, it is difficult to change attitudes.
Old 21st August 2008, 13:45   #20
BHPian

This is a real sad state in India. Good done by the OP.
Also in my opinion those who ride the bike without a helmet does not have any sort of respect for their life.
Old 21st August 2008, 13:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

very sad
but with corruption so rampant in the system, it would be the reaction of most people to just push off and not get involved.
Unfortunately in our great country, life is not treated with the respect it should get. Maybe because there is so much disparity between well off and not-so-well-off and of course the population problem. The situation today with competition and the urge to get ahead being so deep, has a sort of fallout, by way of callousness, un caring attitude and the desire "not-to-get-involved".
Even our hospitals hesitate to admit such emergency and hit/run cases - fearing that if the patient dies on them, they will be victims of adverse publicity/ public wrath. And because of such delay, the poor patient/ victim cannot survive!
I think what is needed is a fundamental attitude shift, right from the grassroots and this can only be achieved through education.
But will we see this improvement in our lifetime? Maybe, but only to an extent, considering the situation.
Old 21st August 2008, 14:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Kudos for helping the guys. Its not just the fear of the system. Having encountered such a situation, its about the cleanliness of their vehicle, their time etc., also.

I have found the auto guys stopping to take such victims to hospital provided there is someone else who is asking them to do this and accompanying them. OT: There was a training program for all auto drivers to provide first aid since you can always a find a auto anywhere. Don't know what happened to that.

Last edited by srishiva : 21st August 2008 at 14:04.
Old 21st August 2008, 14:13   #23
BHPian

Guys ,After Going through all your posts i sort off understand that there can be repurcussions which are not even imaginable, and now after reading some of the incidents narrated in the posts Like the one WIth GD Sir i would definately think twice before helping people.

I just did what instictively came to me on the spur of the moment and i agree with Tsk that Noida is definately a shady place at night but the reason i helped out is because i thought that this could happen to me someday also god forbid though,but if i was in there place (Not Drunk though) I would want someone to help me out.
Old 21st August 2008, 20:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

I don't want humanity to die and people in distress should be helped if possible. But that basic element of trust amongst humans has vanished; as the saying goes - A single fish dirties the pond.

In this context I'm reminded of a short story in Hindi that I read as a school student in class 6th or so. I reproduce here to illustrate, how important is trust amongst humans:

This is the story of Baba Bharti and dacoit Khadag Singh by Sudarshan. Many of you might have read the story.

Baba Bharti had a horse, which he was very fond of. Khadag Singh wanted to buy that horse, but Baba Bharti refused. Once Baba Bharti was going somewhere on that horse.

A lame and ill man he met on the way asked him to drop him to some village on his way. Baba Bharti got down and helped the person mount the horse. It turned out that the person was Khadag Singh in disguise. He captured the horse.

On realizing this, Baba Bharti asked Khadag Singh for just one thing and that was not to mention this incident to anyone else. Khadag Singh was surprised; he expected him to beg for the horse, at least ask for a price or something like that. He enquired Baba Bharti for the reason of his strange request.

Baba Bharti replied saying that if people knew of this incidence, they would stop trusting anyone in need and would stop helping them. This was his only worry after losing the horse, which was so dear to him that he had refused to sell it earlier!! In the story Khadag Singh is so impressed that later he returns the horse to Baba Bharti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Guys ,After Going through all your posts i sort off understand that there can be repurcussions which are not even imaginable, and now after reading some of the incidents narrated in the posts Like the one WIth GD Sir i would definitely think twice before helping people.

I just did what instictively came to me on the spur of the moment and i agree with Tsk that Noida is definately a shady place at night but the reason i helped out is because i thought that this could happen to me someday also god forbid though,but if i was in there place (Not Drunk though) I would want someone to help me out.
Old 21st August 2008, 23:31   #25
BHPian

I always stop - always have , mostly will do ..but everytime I stop, there is always the thought that someday , I might get into a load of unnecessary trouble.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks