Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2008, 21:20   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Learner's license is NOT for driving! It is for learning.

For that:

1) A person with a valid DL should accompany the learner in the vehicle.
2) Only allowed during daytime. (Upto 6 PM I guess)

^^ thats right and the person who is driving the vehicle having LL should also have a L board on front and back of the vehicle.
Old 27th August 2008, 21:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesh_bbr View Post
^^ thats right and the person who is driving the vehicle having LL should also have a L board on front and back of the vehicle.
Yes. But the truth is, most of the people don't know these rules and they think that they can start driving normally from the moment they get a learner's license. That's obvious in the first post in this thread itself.
Old 27th August 2008, 22:26   #18
BANNED

Clevermax, I am not sure of the "no driving after 6 PM rule" you mention. Any sources?

I agree with other things - presence of a person having a valid license on board (not required for two wheelers), and the "L" sign, and also the "take full license from same place" rules.
Old 28th August 2008, 08:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Clevermax, I am not sure of the "no driving after 6 PM rule" you mention. Any sources?

I agree with other things - presence of a person having a valid license on board (not required for two wheelers), and the "L" sign, and also the "take full license from same place" rules.
Yes, after 6 PM a person with Learner's license can't drive. At least I had been told like that in the do's and don'ts class taken at the driving school when I was a learner 12 years ago. I remember my father also mentioning this.
Old 28th August 2008, 09:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

What does one do to learn driving in the night, if that's the case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Quote:
Yes, after 6 PM a person with Learner's license can't drive. At least I had been told like that in the do's and don'ts class taken at the driving school when I was a learner 12 years ago. I remember my father also mentioning this.
Old 28th August 2008, 09:22   #21
BHPian

Wow, Never knew that a query on LL would throw up so many answers. He wants to try his hands on the roads, get a sense of the traffic, rules, road rage etc, before he lets his hands go on the vehicle. Thats the intention. Good part is that his buddy has agreed to accompany him whenever he wanst to take his bike for a ride.

6PM thing is new to be, will try to get more info

Quote:
they think that they can start driving normally from the moment they get a learner's license. That's obvious in the first post in this thread itself.
Old 28th August 2008, 11:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

That's why this group rocks.. You get so many persepectives...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Wow, Never knew that a query on LL would throw up so many answers.
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:29   #23

Help Pass 2 Wheeler Learner's License Test

Hi,

I have been urging my wife to get herself a 2 wheeler license. She's in her late 20s, and methinks she needs to be a little more independent. She claims to be interested in riding a 2 wheeler, so I have been helping her practice on our Honda Activa. She already owns a 4 wheeler license, but has never really clocked any kms behind the wheel (I know....).

I don't want her to take to the main roads without an LL. She attempted the written test twice at the Jayanagar RTO in Bangalore, and did not clear it. The test has 15 multiple choice questions, of which you need to get a minimum of 10 correct.

I don't understand why she is unable to clear the exam. She prepared for the test the second time by studying the 137 questions on the RTO website here: Transport Department. After her second attempt, she told me that not all questions were from the model question paper. She is unable to tell me the questions that she found difficult to answer, and without understanding the gap, I cannot help her.

Without turning this into a agony aunt post, I request someone to help me find an agent who can get an LL done. That's the route my wife wants to take now. I would expect the agent to help the student be prepared for the test. I am NOT looking for an agent who will grease palms and get the work done. But I don't even know how these agents operate. The only time I have approached one was when I had to get my car ownership transferred.

Thanks (and pls be kind to me - I am newly wed ).
Old 22nd May 2012, 13:23   #24
Team-BHP Support

Re: Learner's License Of Other State Valid permit to drive in BLR?

I am not sure, but if she already has a 4 wheel DL, does she have to take learning test again? I thought you just need to pay for the endorsement and submit forms for LL with a copy of the LMV licence??

Am not sure if the rules have changed now ^^ do check.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I am not sure, but if she already has a 4 wheel DL, does she have to take learning test again?

Am not sure if the rules have changed now ^^ do check.
You are right. If there is a 4 wheeler licence, the LL test is not usually required.

@ astrono me's if the current DL is issued by another state, then its better to get her address in the 4 W Licence changed to the current address.
Once she has a Bangalore DL with new address, ask her to apply for a LL for 2 wheeler. On the basis of the Bangalore DL, she will be exempt from the test.

Take the help of AASI -Automobiles Association of South India. Their office is at St. Marks road in Bangalore. You can take a lifetime membership costing some 4400 Rs. They will do this work for you without any additional charges (Other than the legal fees paid to RTO).
Alternatively, approach the closest driving school. They will get the licence work done at a cost.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 12:15   #26
BHPian

Yepp, you can attach a copy of the existing valid DL and get the LL for new class of vehicle added. For out of state cases however, I think you cannot add new class in Karnataka.
Old 20th February 2014, 13:14   #27
BHPian

I remember coming across this question while applying for a 4W DL and had my own doubts back then.

Per RTO, the correct answer is option (a). Is that genuinely correct?

5. You are driving on a two-lane street, the vehicle in front of you is moving very slowly, and the road ahead is clear for overtaking, You should:-

a. pass the vehicle from the left hand side.

b. pass the vehicle from the convenient side.

c. pass the vehicle from the right hand side.

Source : http://rto.kar.nic.in/QACSS1.html
Old 26th April 2018, 17:33   #28
BHPian

This is an old thread. My question was generally about the rules of Learner's License. I did some research and came across these documents:

http://mvd.kerala.gov.in/images/docs/Cmvr1989.pdf

http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/Cmvr1989.pdf

Both of them refer to CMVR 1989.

CHAPTER II
LICENSING OF DRIVERS OF MOTOR VEHICLES
General
3. General.—The provisions of sub-section (1) of section 3 sh
all not apply to a person
while receiving instructions or gaining experience in driving with the object of presenting himself for a test of competence to drive, so long as—
(a)
such person is the holder of an effective learner's licence issued to him in Form 3 to drive the vehicle;
(b)
such person is accompanied by an instructor holding an effective driving License to drive the vehicle and such instructor is sitting in such a position to control or stop the vehicle; and
(c) there is painted, in the front and the rear or the vehicle or on a plate or card affixed to the front and the rear, the letter
"L"
in red on a white background as under:—
Note.
—The painting on the vehicle or on the plate or card shall not be less than 18 centimeters square and the letter "L" shall not be less
than 10 centimeters high, 2 centimeters thick and 9 centimeters wide at the bottom:

Provided that a person, while receiving instructions or gaining experience in driving a motor cycle (with or without a side-car attached), shall not carry any other person on the motor cycle except for the purpose and in the manner referred to in clause
(b)

What I understand is that for a two wheeler rider with LL, if you are carrying a pillion rider, he/she should be having a valid DL for the same category of two wheeler.
Old 26th April 2018, 18:53   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
What I understand is that for a two wheeler rider with LL, if you are carrying a pillion rider, he/she should be having a valid DL for the same category of two wheeler.
I am not sure what the question is here, but yes, your understanding is correct. The pillion should be carrying a valid DL for the same category. And this is true for any class of vehicle, even for 4 wheelers.
Old 26th April 2018, 19:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by get2bid View Post
I am not sure what the question is here
Can a rider with LL ride alone?

Last edited by Romins : 26th April 2018 at 19:18. Reason: grammar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks