Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2008, 22:42   #1
BHPian

when it started raining lathis and slaps!!!

Hi,
This is what i did on the last Sunday.
It started when got up late in the afternoon was sitting & thinking what I am going to doing today.

Suddenly the phone rings and it was my brother.
Me: was sup, where are you.
Bro: I am at kulleygaal (sorry if I miss spelled it.)
Me: okay so what plans?
bro: I am here with a few friends of mine, had some work if your free why don’t you join us at the maddur coffee day and we can have dinner later at Sahara hotel(I know its a restaurant but that’s what every one calls it) at channapattna.
Me: sure I leave in another 20 mins.

I disconnect the phone and take shower and gets ready go. Fill my car with rs500 petrol and headed for maddur coffee day.

well most of the people who have used the maysor road will know that at 5 to 6 pm the roads are mostly jammed, so it took me till 7:30pm to reach the place and when i went there to my surprise these people are no where to be seen, tried calling them up no-go, phones not reachable.

well after tiring for some time i got a through,they told me since they thought I was going to be late they,on the way went to some bird sanctuary and lost the way and it took them 2hrs to find there way back to the road.

Finally at 9:30pm I see my brothers cars xenon’s flashing and when it came near i was sure it was him cause of all the bass from the trunk.

Then we had to wait at the ccd for 20more mins cause it seem one of our friend was waiting to unload since morning and it took him 20 mins to do that at the ccd.
Once he was done we set out to the Sahara hotel (read restaurant) and had our dinner till 11:00pm and after all of us were done eating then we finally decided to head back home.

Till now it was the fun part now starts the real deal

While coming back in 2 cars (mine and my brothers)
I was following him since his xenon’s have very good visibility which can be utilized by the vehicle behind , suddenly he braked and slowed down and all the guys in the car lowered there windows and started waving to slow down.
I thought that it was one of there pranks and I tried overtaking and then I saw a huge lorry with a lot of load driving in front in a zigzag manner, i was stunned and behind us there where like 6-7 other vehicles honking and we had to wave them to tell them to slow done.
A guy in a Scorpio (black I guess) took the initiative and tried over taking the lorry and almost got rammed but some how dodged the lorry and passed by but now there was no way for any one to pass him so we decided to slow down and let him pass however even after waiting for 5 mins stopped when we started we ended up at the same spot but in the 7th and 8th position this time ,however we managed to get our spot back but there was a off-white color verna in front that was trying or doing all it could to get passed the lorry,
But in vain,we went like this for at least 3-4 kms and then the Verna, my bro's swift and i blocked it and made him stop.As soon as the truck came to halt all of us (excluding me because I was just watching from where I had stopped the car) started hitting him, my bro climbed the truck since the driver was not getting off and literally kicked him out of the truck and the poor chap could not even react.
To our bad luck the hoysla truck was parked right behind where the lorry stopped & came out with full force.
People were expecting them to charge the lorry driver but they started hitting us (us and the guys from the Verna and others who had stopped to watch the show).
It was like raining slaps and latthis.
And they kept saying one thing “who gave you people the right to hit him!!”
Well actually they were right and it was every ones fault most of the people took off after seeing the cops and the 3 cars which didn’t (mine, my bro’s and the off white Verna)
Got all the beatings,they didnt even spare the cars they were even hitting the cars.

Later it turns out that the driver was so drunk that he didn’t even know where he was.
The story ends as after half an hour of harsment by the cops of charging us with karnataka rules or some thing, the cops let us go not with out the bribe of rs500 for each car don’t know about the verna but they were not letting us go till we paid them.
Though he(my bro) could have called up dad & turned the tables with the cops but we did realise that it was our fault and just took off after paying.
Lesson learned: even if some one tries killing you never hit back or you’ll get kicked by the cops.

Last edited by alias : 15th September 2008 at 22:56.
Old 15th September 2008, 22:52   #2
BANNED

Did cops make the truck guy pay at least 50 Rs.?
Old 15th September 2008, 23:00   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Did cops make the truck guy pay at least 50 Rs.?

till we where there NO! he was treated with all due respect even though he was druck
Old 15th September 2008, 23:04   #4
BHPian

You shud have called DAD. and turned the whole story upside down got the truck driver in for drunk driving and got the mob in for mobbing and damage to public property. I think our tolerance levels are fueling such incidents use power at every opportunity for the right cause.
Old 15th September 2008, 23:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Very sad incident. But if you lose temper and start beating down others on streets, then you are just winning the battle and not war. I have myself done this many, many times. But eventually realized that it is not beneficial to me and in fact not good for myself. There are hundreds of drivers like these and its impossible for us to improve them. Let time teach them what is correct and what it not. If you guys managed to get ahead, enjoy the road ahead. I know that you were sitting in the car,but IMHO, you should have stopped your brother beating the driver.

He also has a right to road. And we are not given the right to decide what is wrong and right. There are so many laws in India that if one starts following each and every of them, then we just cannot live.

As regarding calling your father and getting the problem solved, it worked the other way round for a guy in our college. He just out of College gate met with an accident ( I saw it wasnt his fault ). I was behind him. The college security came up and got physical with him. He managed to call his father ( some senior lever government emplyoee ) and said a few names. The security men started beating his father and said " till you contact comes here " you are going no where ".

At the most, these cops will get suspended for 15 days or so. They have an excellent unity within themselves and these end level cops are tough to handle for even seniors.

My opinion is to stay cool and calm, let time teach them.

P.S.:
1) I appreciate you for accepting your mistake in beating someone down despite having power to turn tables. We need citizens like you.

2) The above post is just personal opinion and no offense on anyone is meant.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 15th September 2008 at 23:29.
Old 16th September 2008, 01:37   #6
BHPian

Dude,

Drunk or not, no one gave you or anyone else the right to hammer someone drunk. Believe me after a lot years listening and observing these kind of incidents, one thing is for sure.

You hit a drunk, he dies, which is very likely, you go to jail for attempted murder. Please read the Indian Penal Code properly and then do these antics.

Its understandable to be in the prime of youth, and to ride the frenzy your enthusiasm gets you to. However realise and think through your actions and their reactions.

He might have been drunk to avoid his miseries. Why do you need to pile them onto yourself ?

I hope its been some learning which is the take away from this, please do not react to this post, I am sure at the age you are at I have been through it , I would not react in a positive manner to my post to you, it's not my intention nor my reaction.

However do not do what you did. The cops were correct in this situation.

Never take the law in your own hands until you know it like the back of your hand.

Bhai I am happy you are safe and sound to post this.

Cheers

M M
Old 16th September 2008, 02:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Dude,

Drunk or not, no one gave you or anyone else the right to hammer someone drunk. Believe me after a lot years listening and observing these kind of incidents, one thing is for sure.

You hit a drunk, he dies, which is very likely, you go to jail for attempted murder. Please read the Indian Penal Code properly and then do these antics.

Its understandable to be in the prime of youth, and to ride the frenzy your enthusiasm gets you to. However realise and think through your actions and their reactions.

He might have been drunk to avoid his miseries. Why do you need to pile them onto yourself ?

I hope its been some learning which is the take away from this, please do not react to this post, I am sure at the age you are at I have been through it , I would not react in a positive manner to my post to you, it's not my intention nor my reaction.

However do not do what you did. The cops were correct in this situation.

Never take the law in your own hands until you know it like the back of your hand.

Bhai I am happy you are safe and sound to post this.

Cheers

M M

sir i am taking your post in a very positive way
i understand that hitting him was not the right way but what i m tring to say is he was drunk on a national higway, good we ended it or it could have been worse dont you think.

well age here does not matter( casue even though i was the youngest of all in the group i kept away from it).
some did it for fun and others did it to take their frustration off.

any ways all i am tring to say is instead of taking the drunk lorry drivers side they should have stopped the roit and taken him away instead they belted all even if some were just spectators.(like me)

i agree no body is above the law but people who are given the privlidge to handle the law if they misuse it then there is no point in having such the law it self.

just 2 things kept me away from hitting him.
i thought i can be his shoes too and this can happen to any one its all about luck
i have my baby(daughter) back home waiting for me,
And to get into such things is not my way either.

Last edited by alias : 16th September 2008 at 02:30.
Old 16th September 2008, 07:58   #8
BANNED

Alias, I think you people did the right thing by thrashing him then and there but you might have over done it. You should have stopped when you saw the cops and went directly to them. There is nothing wrong in giving a sample of street justice for those rascals who put others and themselves at risk on the road with complete disregard for safety and law.
I see people justifying this drunk driving by saying that he had problems, heck every stinking soul here in this word has problems. I am sorry but that doesn't translate to making drunk driving ok anytime.
You people have actually saved somebody's life by stopping him and bringing him to senses
Old 16th September 2008, 12:25   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_dg View Post
You shud have called DAD. and turned the whole story upside down got the truck driver in for drunk driving and got the mob in for mobbing and damage to public property. I think our tolerance levels are fueling such incidents use power at every opportunity for the right cause.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Alias, I think you people did the right thing by thrashing him then and there but you might have over done it. You should have stopped when you saw the cops and went directly to them. There is nothing wrong in giving a sample of street justice for those rascals who put others and themselves at risk on the road with complete disregard for safety and law.
I see people justifying this drunk driving by saying that he had problems, heck every stinking soul here in this word has problems. I am sorry but that doesn't translate to making drunk driving ok anytime.
You people have actually saved somebody's life by stopping him and bringing him to senses
These responses are shocking to say the least! Nothing gives any person the right to take law into their own hands and more so to inflict physical violence on another man. There is no question of the "right amount of thrashing" or "turning the tables" on him. That he was drunk and in violation of many road safety laws as well does not give you the right dispense your form of street justice. If you feel there is something wrong, inform the cops, let them deal with the situation. If he had stopped, detain him (by that I do not mean use your hands to beat him) till the cops arrive, but under no circumstance can you decide to play god. What is the point of having a police force, rules and regulations if everyone was allowed to settle scores on their own terms. It is the perfect recipe for anarchy and this is the precise reason we as Indians show such contempt for the rule of law.

Alias, I sincerely appreciate you realizing that you were in the wrong for taking matters into your own hands and not trying to use influence to get out of a sticky situation. Your last line about "lesson learnt" summarized it rather well and I do hope the realization will remain. Thank you. I request you to share that knowledge and help other people also realize that we can't take law into our hands, whatever be the circumstances.
Old 16th September 2008, 12:26   #10
Team-BHP Support

you took law in your hands which is wrong. But the way that guy was driving he could have killed someone if you guys hadn't stopped him. So what you did was morally right.
No good deed goes unpunished, so you got slaps, but rather than feeling low about it, you should feel good that you probably saved somebody's life that day.
Old 16th September 2008, 12:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Man its scary. But surely this is one way of looking things.

Quote:
No good deed goes unpunished, so you got slaps, but rather than feeling low about it, you should feel good that you probably saved somebody's life that day.
I like this. Good lesson.
Old 16th September 2008, 14:14   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikkumar View Post
These responses are shocking to say the least! Nothing gives any person the right to take law into their own hands and more so to inflict physical violence on another man.
If he had stopped, detain him (by that I do not mean use your hands to beat him) till the cops arrive, but under no circumstance can you decide to play god.
Where do you live Kartikkumar, I hope in India. I know we all have been educated in the law abiding ways of the western world but don't get carried away. We still have a long way to go and our street justice is not a too inhuman way of dispensing justice. It came about precisely because the law doesn't do much to the guilty.
Street justice doesn't replace the due course of the law but supplements it in a way. Don't worry this will go away by itself once people see that law enforced is effective.
Old 16th September 2008, 18:27   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
We still have a long way to go and our street justice is not a too inhuman way of dispensing justice. It came about precisely because the law doesn't do much to the guilty.
Street justice doesn't replace the due course of the law but supplements it in a way. Don't worry this will go away by itself once people see that law enforced is effective.
You can justify it, rationalize it, intellectualize it for yourself in as many ways as you want. That does not make it right! Your angst at ineffective enforcement of the law does not give you the right to take it upon yourself to dish out your brand of justice. It cannot supplement due process and rule of law because you are not empowered to enforce the law. Channel your anger/angst/frustrations/helplessness in a direction that will see long term tangible change. You want people to respect the law, try following the law yourself. Not only the parts that you find convenient.

Let me put it another way. If I am at the receiving end of "street justice" tomorrow, I can and will file a police complaint against every person that lays a hand on me on the grounds of assault. Believe you me, I have a case and believe you me, the courts will find in my favour. 2 wrongs do not a right make.

And for the record, I live in Bangalore. Since it has been asked.
Old 16th September 2008, 18:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

is citizens arrest not allowed in india?
Old 16th September 2008, 19:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
is citizens arrest not allowed in india?
Before I pass my judgment, let me answer this question.

This is what the Karnataka Police website says
Any citizen may also arrest any person under the circumstances listed in section 43 of the code of Criminal Procedure. According this section;

(a) Any private person may arrest or cause to be arrested any person who in his presence commits a non-bailable and cognizable offence, or any proclaimed offender, and, without unnecessary delay, shall make over or cause to be made over any person so arrested to a police officer, or, in the absence of a police officer take such person or cause him to be taken in custody to the nearest police station.

(b) If there is reason to believe that such person comes under the provisions of Section 41, a police officer shall re-arrest him.

(c) If there is reason to believe that he has committed a non-cognizable offence, and he refuses on the demand of a police officer to give his name and residence, or gives a name or residence which such officer has reason to believe to be false, he shall be dealt with under the provisions of Section 42; but if there is no sufficient reason to believe that he has committed any offence, he shall be at once released;

Coming back to main story...
You did a good thing. You should actually give a piece of your mind to him.
But possibly you could have been a bit less aggressive, by first trying to inform the hoysala van about the vehicle.

Again about dealing with Police, you should have definitely called you dad as you mentioned. But otherwise, if you try to talk legal points like the ones mentioned above, they normally would be taken aback, and would have started talking rather than the hands/lathis doing the talking part.

Just my two paise... Of course I understand that when you are so angry, after that maverick action of truck driver, you would have obviously been irritated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks