Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2008, 19:15   #16
BHPian

@sriturl, the section reproduced is limited in its application to non-bailable conginizable offences, which can be found under the Indian Penal Code.

Driving under the influence of alcohol is an offence under the motor vehicles act, unless you run over people sleeping on a pavement for example. Then in addition to an offence under the MVA, a person can also be prosecuted under the IPC. This we have seen in the BMW case.

So a citizens arrest is only permissible under limited controlled circumstance.
Old 16th September 2008, 19:16   #17
BHPian

You did over react, Violence is not the answer. What would you have got by beating up drunk truck driver?

Let me tell you that a Friendly* hand gesture is more than enough and thats what I usually end up showing to any rude driver or biker.

*Reffers to raising the big finger that sits between the Index and ring finger and showing it around
Old 16th September 2008, 19:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Was the truck being driven sideways on the road that you chaps couldn't overtake him ? Obviously goes on to prove you chaps were real bad drivers and need to get your driving lessons from square one on overtaking.
Sheesh 3 cars and none could pass a loaded truck !!

Ooh and btw the place is Mysore and not Maysor. Same with kulleygaal, its spelt Kollegal .
Old 16th September 2008, 19:48   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
You did over react, Violence is not the answer. What would you have got by beating up drunk truck driver?
Let me tell you that a Friendly* hand gesture is more than enough and thats what I usually end up showing to any rude driver or biker.
*Reffers to raising the big finger that sits between the Index and ring finger and showing it around
Yeah, I wasn't exactly saying you have the right to beat him black and blue but a little force doesn't hurt where applicable.
BTW, Do you know that the people fear the public more than the LAW. So don't take my comment as a sanction for physical abuse. Still I don't ever think we can go about strutting the US methodology of prosecution as it is simply impossible in practice. We will get there one day, hopefully. Until then our street justice will be kept going.
Old 16th September 2008, 20:01   #20
BHPian

[quote=rjstyles69;979866]Was the truck being driven sideways on the road that you chaps couldn't overtake him ? Obviously goes on to prove you chaps were real bad drivers and need to get your driving lessons from square one on overtaking.
Sheesh 3 cars and none could pass a loaded truck !!

sir it was not 3 vehicles but atleast 10-15 vehicles behind the truck and its was like if u try over taking from left he'll come on to the left and if you try from the right he comes to the right its was like not side ways but zig zag..
Old 16th September 2008, 22:19   #21
BHPian

kartikkumar
I agree with your views

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Yeah, I wasn't exactly saying you have the right to beat him black and blue but a little force doesn't hurt where applicable.
BTW, Do you know that the people fear the public more than the LAW. So don't take my comment as a sanction for physical abuse. Still I don't ever think we can go about strutting the US methodology of prosecution as it is simply impossible in practice. We will get there one day, hopefully. Until then our street justice will be kept going.
Zaks, the public shouldnt be allowed to beat up people for reasons like this. In plain, simple terms its wrong!
Who decides how much force is a little force? sometimes a little force from several people can cause severe damage or even kill.

Sometime back I saw the driver of an Innova getting beaten up for knocking down a biker who was coming into a one way. It was totally the fault of the biker. It was a one way and hero bikes gets into it, Innova guy doesnt see the biker and knocks him down. I could see the so called public beating up the Innova guy. I posted about his on T-bhp with a picture.
there was nothing I could do, I even tried to report this to a cop on the next signal but hah! like he even cared.
I felt so bad for the Innova driver
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/926069-post979.html

This is what the public did!
Old 16th September 2008, 22:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

What goes around, comes around. It's as simple as that.
Old 16th September 2008, 22:45   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikkumar View Post
These responses are shocking to say the least! Nothing gives any person the right to take law into their own hands and more so to inflict physical violence on another man. There is no question of the "right amount of thrashing" or "turning the tables" on him. That he was drunk and in violation of many road safety laws as well does not give you the right dispense your form of street justice. If you feel there is something wrong, inform the cops, let them deal with the situation. If he had stopped, detain him (by that I do not mean use your hands to beat him) till the cops arrive, but under no circumstance can you decide to play god. What is the point of having a police force, rules and regulations if everyone was allowed to settle scores on their own terms. It is the perfect recipe for anarchy and this is the precise reason we as Indians show such contempt for the rule of law.

Alias, I sincerely appreciate you realizing that you were in the wrong for taking matters into your own hands and not trying to use influence to get out of a sticky situation. Your last line about "lesson learnt" summarized it rather well and I do hope the realization will remain. Thank you. I request you to share that knowledge and help other people also realize that we can't take law into our hands, whatever be the circumstances.

I would love to see people stop and beat up a guy running away with a gun after shooting someone. Because the truckie was drunk and defenseless these guys decided to take it out on him. Heck I would have loved to see public reaction when the truckie pulled over, if he had jumped out the truck armed with a 32" wheel wrench or a piece of GI pipe.

I remember a poem known as tirukural which was taught to us in school:

"Restrain yourself where your anger has an impact;
where it doesn't it does not matter any way"

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 16th September 2008, 23:07   #24
BHPian

[quote=PatchyBoy;980118]

I would love to see people stop and beat up a guy running away with a gun after shooting someone. Because the truckie was drunk and defenseless these guys decided to take it out on him. Heck I would have loved to see public reaction when the truckie pulled over, if he had jumped out the truck armed with a 32" wheel wrench or a piece of GI pipe.

sir i asure you we have faced situations like thoes and handled them quite nicely too .
Actually he(my bro) got in to get him out casue we were afraid in that state(drunk) him might have tried to drive the truck away crushing our cars.
hitting him was not we wanted but stopping him
at the end after reaching home we all laughed at what had happened and we were satisfied
even though we got red rashes across our bums and faces we had saved a copule of lives for sure by stopping him.

my issue here was not about hitting the truck driver but the reaction of the cops
i m very sure they must have let him go scott free and took bribe from us forgetting the fact that we were tring to save ours and other road users lives.

Last edited by alias : 16th September 2008 at 23:13.
Old 16th September 2008, 23:33   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post

I remember a poem known as tirukural which was taught to us in school:

"Restrain yourself where your anger has an impact;
where it doesn't it does not matter any way"

Cheers,

Rajan
LOL!

3 armed men chased down and killed some real estate person in full view of the public in broad day light. (read about this in the local newspaper some days back.) These men used Knifes and not guns but not a single wana-be hero came to the rescue? Why cause the public knows thats there are the real goons and not the average working joe or tom that they are used to beating up. Once they know that you are a normal average guy they would love to beat and sometimes even extort money out of you.

Real sad the way things are.
Old 17th September 2008, 07:42   #26
BHPian

Holding the truck driver is also unlawfull. imagine the ordeal he would have done on a NH. Boss I have seen these kind of things it is scary. I am saying do drink and drive but do not cause a life hazard to others be in your limits.
Only thing is I feel they would have overdone with the trucky one tight slap and wait for the Cops and hand him over.
My earlier post to turn the situation around was because few good people got royally screwed because of some trucky guy. And they did not create ruckkess for fun some foolish guy started it.
Old 17th September 2008, 08:00   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
kartikkumar
Sometime back I saw the driver of an Innova getting beaten up for knocking down a biker who was coming into a one way. It was totally the fault of the biker. It was a one way and hero bikes gets into it, Innova guy doesnt see the biker and knocks him down. I could see the so called public beating up the Innova guy. I posted about his on T-bhp with a picture.
I felt so bad for the Innova driver
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/926069-post979.html
This is what the public did!
Looks like some people are angry against the public for some reason . Public are not diligent enough to reason out the cause, they react instantly to a situation. Yes sometimes they beat up the innocent guy by mistake but by and large it is the guilty which gets the beating. Now don't go about telling me how can the public decide who is guilty , understand the ground realities.

I too feel bad for the Innova driver but if he was careful he could have prevented the accident. He gets the beating because he sits in a plush car and the (poor) biker is lying on the road in pain.
Old 17th September 2008, 09:13   #28
BHPian

Like Vikram_d said, what goes around, comes around. clearly reason doesn't appeal to you. I wonder if you will feel the same way if you were being beaten up, or you were at the receiving end of this form of "justice".
Old 18th September 2008, 11:28   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikkumar View Post
Like Vikram_d said, what goes around, comes around. clearly reason doesn't appeal to you. I wonder if you will feel the same way if you were being beaten up, or you were at the receiving end of this form of "justice".
If I was guilty I wouldn't mind a few blows but if not then I would fight back. No, no one would like it whether guilty or not cheers:
Old 18th September 2008, 11:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

No matter how much ever we discuss, taking law into the your hands is not acceptable especially Police and that too when a hoysala jeep was present.

On a lighter note, if you people take law into your hands, and start beating up, what job will police team have? They cannot be mere spectators. They are the authorised people to take law in their hands.

Most Viewed