Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2008, 11:06   #1
BHPian

Potentially Fatal Accident Averted

Hi,

Today morning (about 45 minutes ago), I was driving from Noida to Okhla. After the Jasola signal, I was driving in the right most lane at about 60 kmph; there was a tractor in front of me going at 20 kmph, and a truck about 20 meters behind me.

I turned-on the left indicator, and after checking thoroughly that truck had slowed down and nobody else was coming, I started overtaking the tractor from the wrong side. All of a sudden, I heard a loud and saw a biker colliding with the left-back fender of my car. I slowed my car and parked it on the left. When I got down I saw the bike and biker flat on the road, and the truck stopped hardly a meter away from them, I thanked my stars and went to the biker.

As expected, he held me responsible and asked for compensation, showing me the damage in his bike (broken clutch lever, bent leg-guard and a broken foot-rest). I politely told him that the dent in my car will cost almost 10 times, but he wasn't ready to listen and the assembled mob was also with him. So I told him that come to Sarita Vihar police station and we'll settle the issue there. He insisted on settling it right there and started calling people. I just didn't listen to him and started walking towards my car, and drove it away. Since I knew his clutch lever was broken and he won't be able to follow me, I decided against going to cops and instead drove to my office.

I shudder to think what would have happened, had the truck not stopped. The biker was a goner, and I would have in major trouble, apart from the psychological trauma of causing somebody's death.

Biker's attitude didn't really surprise me, I was expecting that from him; and I wonder whether I should have stopped there in the first place. What is your opinion?

\N
Old 14th October 2008, 11:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Woh, close shave what with the mob mentality that prevails in these parts.

I think you did the absolutely correct thing, you stopped & then moved on when the guy refused to see reason & acknowledge his mistake.

There was one of these idiots on MG Road this morning, tried to overtake a stationery bus & cut in sharply without even seeing that I was more than one thirds of the way through. I had to brake sharply & pray that the car behind me would manage to stop as well. Thought of getting off & slapping him after I overtook him but then decided not to spoil my mood & my day.

How bad is the damage on your car?
Old 14th October 2008, 11:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

overtaking from the LHS was wrong (well at times that is the only option left )

you should have stopped like you did - you are not bound to pay him anything for damage to his vehicle nor you are supposed to ask him to pay for damage to your car - if you/he have/has 3rd party insurance.

not all bikers are at fault / ill-mannered -> there are certain groups of bikers who donot have any respect for others on the road / they donot have any road manners / they donot follow traffic rules.
Old 14th October 2008, 11:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Hi,

I turned-on the left indicator, and after checking thoroughly that truck had slowed down and nobody else was coming, I started overtaking the tractor from the wrong side. All of a sudden, I heard a loud and saw a biker colliding with the left-back fender of my car.
Is he coming out from your blind spot?

When one fails to listen and try to create a scene, its better to move away from that place.

If thats the regular route you do, its preferable to take a different route or different car or even different type of transportation for next one week or so. What car and color do you drive?
Old 14th October 2008, 11:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
How bad is the damage on your car?
Pretty bad; he banged the junction of door and fender, damaging both. Fender is depressed and there is a deep scratch on the left-rear door.

As a precaution, I won't drive from that route for a few days. The guy looked like a local and and cause trouble.

\N

Last edited by ntomer : 14th October 2008 at 11:38.
Old 14th October 2008, 11:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
If thats the regular route you do, its preferable to take a different route or different car or even different type of transportation for next one week or so.
Quote:
As a precaution, I won't drive from that route for a few days. The guy looked like a local and and cause trouble.
Very wise decision. My Office is in Jasola (at the new Commercial center that's coming up), I've PMed you my number, just in case you need any help when you're next passing by.

Last edited by suman : 14th October 2008 at 11:30.
Old 14th October 2008, 11:31   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Is he coming out from your blind spot?
I don't think he was coming out of blind spot, I had checked in my LHS rear-view mirror and he wasn't there. I guess, once he saw the truck slowing down to let me overtake, he decided to make use of that and overtake both of us.

Quote:
If thats the regular route you do, its preferable to take a different route or different car or even different type of transportation for next one week or so. What car and color do you drive?
In my earlier mail, I've said the same thing. I drive a light-blue color Getz, a very rare car (I've hardly seen a couple in Delhi), so I'll take some other route to office for some days.

\N

Last edited by ntomer : 14th October 2008 at 11:38.
Old 14th October 2008, 15:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess, once he saw the truck slowing down to let me overtake, he decided to make use of that and overtake both of us.
that explains it and that the fact. Bikers are known to appear from no where. I think your decision saved you from a mob attack.
What if the guy noted down your number and wants to sue you? Looks weird. you could have forced him to the nearest policestation/traffic police etc. if you think he is a goon, he will avoid facing police and leave the place. fingers crossed now.
Old 14th October 2008, 15:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

You should've looked out for him since you were overtaking from the left and he should have for you and slowed down since your indicator was "ON". Too bad both of you couldnt anticipate each other.

If you have his bike number, you can still give a written complaint in the PS and keep one copy, just incase he later decides to claim your 3rd party (its rare unless there is physical injury)
Old 14th October 2008, 15:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
What if the guy noted down your number and wants to sue you? Looks weird. you could have forced him to the nearest policestation/traffic police etc. if you think he is a goon, he will avoid facing police and leave the place. fingers crossed now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
If you have his bike number, you can still give a written complaint in the PS and keep one copy, just incase he later decides to claim your 3rd party (its rare unless there is physical injury)
At that time, I wanted to get out of there asap, and didn't force him to go to cops, also I didn't note down his number.

Anyways I can't do much about that now, let's see whether he tries anything of that sort.

\N
Old 14th October 2008, 15:55   #11
BHPian

It is very easy for car owners to blame bikers and vice versa, unless you are both a biker and a driver and understand the dynamics of driving as well as riding.

ntomer accepts the fact that he was overtaking from the wrong side. He also accepts the fact that he ran away from the spot knowing that the biker was stranded. He is also planning to stay away from the route for a few days.

Sorry if I sound rude, but this clearly proves his fault. So what if his own damage is 10 times, he brought it upon himself. I am surprised that people on this forum are trying to 'help' him without even knowing the other side of the coin.

In most cases, the biker ends up paying from his pocket, since he does not want to claim insurance for a few hundreds. Contrastingly, the car owner will gladly get all his 'other' dents also covered in the claim.
Old 14th October 2008, 16:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
It is very easy for car owners to blame bikers and vice versa, unless you are both a biker and a driver and understand the dynamics of driving as well as riding.

ntomer accepts the fact that he was overtaking from the wrong side. He also accepts the fact that he ran away from the spot knowing that the biker was stranded. He is also planning to stay away from the route for a few days.

Sorry if I sound rude, but this clearly proves his fault. So what if his own damage is 10 times, he brought it upon himself. I am surprised that people on this forum are trying to 'help' him without even knowing the other side of the coin.
Wow, very strong words & quick judgement, I must say!

I hope you are also aware that Ntomer also rides a bike - a Bullet, IIRC.

The biker was not injured & was out to gather public sympathy & create a mob situation despite the fact that he came & hit the rear left side of the car which was in front of him & had its indicator on.

Would you have stood there & paid him off?

No offense but it sounds like you are generalizing - 8 times out of 10, "we" car-owners would not file the claim since we'd end up losing the No-claim bonus. And have a "loading" on our premium for the next year.

Last edited by suman : 14th October 2008 at 16:05.
Old 14th October 2008, 16:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post

In most cases, the biker ends up paying from his pocket, since he does not want to claim insurance for a few hundreds. Contrastingly, the car owner will gladly get all his 'other' dents also covered in the claim.
Dear AB,

I agree with whatever you've said. Now please suggest what I should have done in these circumstances.

\N
Old 14th October 2008, 16:14   #14
BHPian

with suman. What would one do when the Right most lane is hogged by a vehicle chugging along slowly @ 20kmph? Does one continue to trail that slow moving vehicle till one gets to his destination, Honk at the slow moving vehicle and get him all up and ready for a bout of road rage, or does one switch on his left indicator (as ntomer did), look to check for vehicles onto his left (as ntomer did) and move to the lane to the left.

It is the standard norm for vehicles moving behind other vehicles to look out for indications from the vehicles moving upfront and reduce speed.

A case to note is that this said motorcyclist was overtaking from the left, which is deemed right?
Old 14th October 2008, 16:40   #15
BHPian

Suman: Looks like I stirred up some emotions here! I am not trying to generalize the situation, just trying to look at it from both the perspectives.

Suren181: It is difficult to gauge in this case if the motorcyclist was overtaking or if he was simply in the blind spot. Just putting on the indicators does not absolve you of the responsibily of looking for other vehicles in the vicinity. Personally, I switch on indicators even when changing lanes, but never overtake from the wrong side. It comes quite easily with practice.

ntomer: Once again, I am sorry if it sounded rude. This is my personal opinion. You may agree or disagree with it. Hope you get your baby back to shape soon.

I own a car and a bike myself and the bumper sticker on my car reads (CAUTION: I follow all traffic rules.)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks