Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2008, 11:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

An irresponsible act by the student.

Why in the first place he jumped an Army HQ wall? Anybody trespassing in army compound will have to pay the price either with his life or otherwise. Moreover, as per the newspaper reports, he did not heed to army person's yelling to surrender. Instead he was making phone calls. I'am not supporting what army did is right. But afte 26/11, nobody wahts to take any kind of chances. In the dark, the army jawans might have tought he might be placing a bomb on the terrace of Brigder's house and might have shot him.

Now look at the irony of police, they have booked the case against the student for trespassing and have ordered an inquiry...whatz the use of this now. A life is already lost and they are planning to bring a dead man to justice OR they just want to show off that they are conducting an inquiry to know the actual cause. They could have very well closed the case as the accused is already dead...
Old 29th December 2008, 11:16   #17
BHPian

I am in full support of what the Army did. I understand that the death was tragic but I deny that the action taken by Army personnel is wrong. They did their job.

Scenario: Middle of the night a man jumps into the army complex roaming around talking on the phone. He is spotted and asked to surrender, even after several warnings he refuses to give in. Result he was shot at, the reports say that he was shot in the abdomen. It is obvious if the army wanted to kill him for sure then they would have gone for the head. It was night time and dark its hard to know what a person is hiding under his shirt may be a gun or even a bomb.

Looking at the past the army learned a lesson and did their job, I support them and talking about media they would criticize the army when do do their job and even when they don't (TRP Game).

ok all of this was OT, the racing was the reason the boy was on a run and out of fear and panic he entered the army complex. I feel it all started with racing else he wouldn't have jumped a wall in an unknown territory.
Old 29th December 2008, 11:19   #18
BHPian

How I wish the government would come up with an official drag strip for guys to drag race. If not the government then some business guy. He can charge a premium with all the latest timing gear and safety equipment. Atleast it will be official.

Drag racing has been going on for years on Cubbon Road, Infantry road & MG> Road. I stay on cubbon road and its a nuisance for us as these guys drag from say 11pm till 3-4 am from Friday to sunday.

I hope atleast now some sense comes into these guys to stop drag racing on main roads. I have witnessed many accidents when these guys are racing, as we can hear everything from my bedroom window.

Its really sad that such a young guy lost his life.
Old 29th December 2008, 11:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

It was a unfortunate incident. I too hope that the army guys shouldn't have shot at him. But then how would you know if he was not armed ? You don't need to have a gun in your hand to be called armed.
The connection between street racing and getting shot was the unfortunate guy.
Old 29th December 2008, 11:33   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Frustrating is all i can say.

The guy was unarmed.

Army should have tried to catch him alive, its sad, he was not firing at them or throwing grenades at them, where was the need to fire at him.

The guys was just 20 and at that age when you know that you are being chased by Police for driving fast, the first thing you think of is, to drive faster and escape, the same thought would have come into some mature heads too with the rush things at that moment.

Racing is not to be blamed for this.

Its the system, Police should have faster moving vehicles then the most, Police is meant for catching the bad guys, not to just chase them. If they would have had a faster vehicle they could have caught the young 20year old boy enjoying his bike.

Any kind of chasing sets in panic in everybody who is being chased and it was this panic which resulted in boy jumping the wall of Army quaters.
"Caught the 20 yr old boy enjoying his bike?!!" and how in gods name do you expect them to have done that? they tried calling him down for around an hr. He was sitting on the roof of a top armymans house making calls from his mobile, what would a security man infer from all this? after the bombay scene? I fully back the actions of the security forces, if he had turned out to be another one of the psychos like the ones in bombay, a lot more defense ppl. would have lost their life. That guy was at the worng place at the wrong time and did the wrong things, and S**T happened.
I too agree a full blown 100% with shan2nu on this.
Old 29th December 2008, 11:41   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post

Army should have tried to catch him alive, its sad, he was not firing at them or throwing grenades at them, where was the need to fire at him.
I think the army did the right thing. He could have been a suicide bomber for all they knew.

Quote:
Its the system, Police should have faster moving vehicles then the most, Police is meant for catching the bad guys, not to just chase them. If they would have had a faster vehicle they could have caught the young 20year old boy enjoying his bike.
Rather they need lessons in aggressive driving like most cops across the world. Most of the cops don't know basic driving, how will they chase? if you observe our police vehicles, nearly all of them are dented and scratched!

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 29th December 2008 at 11:50.
Old 29th December 2008, 11:45   #22
BHPian

very sad

hello
I stress this is my view point to the whole situation
the army guards should have warned the guy and then at least shot on his legs so that life was not claimed.
only one say
Man thinks what - but happpens what

Last edited by Technocrat : 29th December 2008 at 12:10. Reason: Removed extra formatting, please do not post the entire text in bold
Old 29th December 2008, 11:46   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Now look at the irony of police, they have booked the case against the student for trespassing and have ordered an inquiry...whatz the use of this now. A life is already lost and they are planning to bring a dead man to justice OR they just want to show off that they are conducting an inquiry to know the actual cause. They could have very well closed the case as the accused is already dead...

It is required to ensuring that no wrong doing or liability. Object is to establish facts not to punish anyone.

i have not much sympathy for the parents - allowing the son to indulge in drags illegally. It is not that they did not know - modded bike et al! If parents take action, a lot of these drag racers would be curtailed. They think it is fine to defy the police (agreed, they are not the nicest or the best but if one stays on the right side of the law, one has few issues!). But to think that one can mess with the army is pure naivety.

Some posts report that the army should not use arms - think of the situ - heightened security alerts, pitch dark, stealth movements, clear discussion in Urdu, recent Mumbai modus operandi

There is only one response - call to surrender which was not heeded then affirmative action.

Treat law and authority with respect. Yes, we do have contempt for many of those in office but it needs to be handled in a cilivilised polite manner, not a hot headed scoff law attitude.
Old 29th December 2008, 11:55   #24
BHPian

@aagoswami & bubby - There is nothing fishy here, the boy did not heed the armies warnings, at a time like this NO ONE should be taking such chances. The terrorists that killed so many in Mumbai were also in their mid to early twenties and spoke punjabi and urdu. Yeah it appeared he did not have weapons, what if he had a hand grenade or a bomb strapped to himself for a suicide mission? What then? In such a case you would be saying "maybe the army should've done more". My point is no one should be playing around or joking about national security PERIOD.
Old 29th December 2008, 11:56   #25
BANNED

Some days back a similiar incident happened in another place in Bangalore (cant recollect the place). Here the Home guard fired at the shins of the sandalwood robbers who were throwing stones at him and did not heed his warnings. The same must have been done here, only that the guy tried running and the guard shooting might have missed the shins and hit his abdomen(unless you have a sophisticated gun you cannot aim that well that too in the night), he still ran, scaled the wall and got into a car with friends. Friends panicked as what to do and the poor fellow probably bleed to death.

Unfortunate but yes a lesson and a reminder that we are living in troubled times.
Old 29th December 2008, 12:07   #26
BHPian

Its an unfortunate incident, but before blaming the army put yourself in the armyman's shoes:
- its 1 AM, totally dark, he cant see whether the intruder is armed or not, - can't see enough to verify whether he hasn't planted a bomb on the house top, the house was a Brigadiers residence,
- the intruder isn't heeding his warnings to surrender
- these days all defence establishments are on high alert,
- he fires 3 times in the air to warn him, repetedly asking him to surrender,
- then when the intruder tries to scale the wall to run away, he is shot.

I dont think the sentry was being trigger happy. These are extra-ordinary times, and the forces aren't taking chances.

cheers
lazy.
Old 29th December 2008, 12:10   #27
BHPian

Couple of things. Its only my view.

Why were his friends waiting outside with a Car?
Why dint they speak to the security people & convince them?
Did his friends expect him to jump back & come to the road?
When the boy was asked to surrender, why he dint?

Regards
Deepak
Old 29th December 2008, 12:10   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dins View Post
hello
the army guards should have warned the guy and then at least shot on his legs so that life was not claimed.
only one say
Firstly, it is not at all easy to shoot a running target in the legs, specially at night with poor visibility. Secondly, international protocol says that if you suspect a suicide bomber, shoot to kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It is required to ensuring that no wrong doing or liability. Object is to establish facts not to punish anyone.

i have not much sympathy for the parents - allowing the son to indulge in drags illegally. It is not that they did not know - modded bike et al! If parents take action, a lot of these drag racers would be curtailed. They think it is fine to defy the police (agreed, they are not the nicest or the best but if one stays on the right side of the law, one has few issues!). But to think that one can mess with the army is pure naivety.

Some posts report that the army should not use arms - think of the situ - heightened security alerts, pitch dark, stealth movements, clear discussion in Urdu, recent Mumbai modus operandi

There is only one response - call to surrender which was not heeded then affirmative action.

Treat law and authority with respect. Yes, we do have contempt for many of those in office but it needs to be handled in a cilivilised polite manner, not a hot headed scoff law attitude.
+1 to that. I absolutely agree!
Old 29th December 2008, 12:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dins View Post
hello
only one say

Late at night with poor lighting. No way. Perfect example of what can happen when 20year olds are let loose. What was he thinking entering army premises in the middle of the night. Probably got what it (the intrusion) deserved. There is no way to know whether this guy had bombs or not.

On another note, according to media reports there was a car waiting for him. Perhaps the police should have arrested the people in the car as well.
Old 29th December 2008, 12:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

sometime back there was a rant by an elderly who tried to run away when police in delhi came after him with sirens on. he complained that he was stopped and beaten.

frankly, he should be happy he was not shot dead.

I don't know why we take law and order so casually. and in spite of sympathizing with the grieving family, I fully support the security personnel's action. When you are stopped and challenged to surrender, in a secure area, you should not be making mobile calls, definitely not in urdu. this case should be publicized and should be a lesson. listen to and obey the authorities.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks