Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2009, 17:05   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
By the look in her eyes,and the expression on her face,I understood she really was nervous.I obliged thinking - 1.need to get out of this mess on the road.I have no time to reach my office.
2.there is no other way out - unless the i10 moves out my MJD cant.So no options.
This applies whether the driver is male or female. All new drivers have a stalling problem on engaging clutch in first gear and some have it more than others. When you have this problem, people honking from behind usually just makes the driver flub again. But of course the people behind the driver with the problem are all going to be concerned about getting out of the jam and we Indians don't need much of an excuse to honk.

Slightly but after getting stuck behind a bus that broke down at a signal, I have lately got into the habit of keeping enough distance from the car in front of me at a signal so that i can see its back tyres - that usually means you will have enough space to go around it.

Alton, you were lucky you were at LV Prasad. At Khairatabad junction you would have missed three cyles of the signal by the end of all this.
Old 21st January 2009, 17:50   #32
BHPian

Wow! What can I say Sameel! You seem like a personification of many comments here!
Old 21st January 2009, 19:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

@Sameel - You echoed my views mate. However not all female drivers are like that. Just a few are quiet skilled which i got to know when i raced with a friend of mine and was amazed at her skills.
Also i do hate those idiots who harrasses female drivers just cos they overtook them and there so called male ego is bruised.
Old 21st January 2009, 20:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

^this sort of racing in the aforementioned highway area is very dangerous.street racing kind of;
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

It's not that ladies are stupid or what but it's something that only 1% of the lady drivers are proper drivers aka who understand road sense, knows how to drive and she aren't driving alone on the road

Two examples from my side...

Today morning only, while coming to office via Liberty Cinema Road I saw a young lady driving her scooty just in-middle of First and Second lane i.e Lanes near to center and next to center that too @ 30-40 km speed. It was just in between of both lanes in this way that one cannot neither overtake from first lane or second lane. Now to give a fair idea of the road it is a road which is always filled up with traffic chaos. I was one of the strucked up one within the traffic piled up behind her, somehow car in-front of, 3 of them were not able to remove her out-of-the-way with their OEM horns. Somehow managed to reach just behind the girl and honked hard (Thanks to Roots ). She got dead feared and moved to left lane immediately. While by passing her i asked "Are you out of your mind or what". What she did, Poked out her iPod/Mobile headphone from her ear and asked "What did you said ??" I was , said nothing and moved on.

Another instance, I was traveling on Saharanpur-Delhi route via Panipat near to sonipat a Swift dipped headlight to get side, i pulled to left and let her go. Later on i signaled to get side and swift moved toward left gracefully. Swift was driven very nicely and on a straight line. Later a Truck somehow jumped in-between from service lane to 2nd-3rd lane, reacting to which Swift decreased speed rather then cutting to right most lane on which i was moving at pace. It was nice see a decent highway driver. I was actually amused to see that the Swift was driven by a lady along a male co-passenger.

Second instance is a clear example of ladies who are actually exceptional 1% one who actually understand that they aren't driving alone on the road.

Last edited by ashthedivx : 22nd January 2009 at 11:11. Reason: Spell Check
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:29   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Same here. Most of the time slower than normal traffic flow and jittery about giving side. I am not saying every lady driver do that; but if you see some car showing this behaviour, 90% probability it is driven by the fairer sex.
Absolutely, I agree with you whole heartedly. Public menace is redefined by some of these women drivers. It is an absolute irritant to share the road with these kind of drivers.
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

i say some of them are exceptional drivers(some =4%) they unlike men do not have an ego problem and are relatively safer drivers as they dont tend to over speed or race with people
Old 22nd January 2009, 23:15   #38
Team-BHP Support

Note from mods: Any comments sexist in tone or intent like "Lady drivers are idiots" etc., invite a "sexual/racial abuse" infraction which leads to direct ban. Please watch your tone, there will be no warnings
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2009, 23:22   #39
Team-BHP Support

I have absolutely no idea why such attitude towards women drivers exists. I know I can speculate it about being due to culture, upbringing, type of family setup where most women are second fiddle(esp around where I live), but thats just speculation, frankly speaking I don't have a slightest idea.
In noida the problem is very bad. Every time my wife takes the safari there are these morons you overtake her and then slow down to a crawl in front of her, or bikers who keep on staring, or pass making a rude gesture or something.
And its not the the young bikers or car drivers. Even middle aged idiots are abound.
In indica it is sometimes worse, because if she overtakes anyone, they want to race. Once a guy almost hit the car trying to cut her.
I tell her, the car is very very old with scratches on both sides, so you don't really have to avoid them, so if they want to rub their shiny new cars with the indica, let them be your guest.
As for this thread. I see a lot of comments blaming lady drivers for this. Well what can I say. People online are the same people offline, and being online does give more confidence.
That said, its not due to being good or bad drivers that ladies are harrassed. I have never seen cab or call center cab drivers get harrassed. So people if you are giving this argument, please go ahead and first take panga with a blueline, they are worse
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2009, 23:56   #40
BHPian

And to add :

Females drivers are still much much lesser than male drivers. So its easy to criticize them when they make a mistake because we are more observant of female drivers. How many male drivers who drive like their posterior(s) are on fire ?.

I'd rather be stuck behind a slow moving female that to do a emergency maneuver to avoid a brash and fast male cutting across my lane.

Quote:
In noida the problem is very bad. Every time my wife takes the safari there are these morons you overtake her and then slow down to a crawl in front of her, or bikers who keep on staring, or pass making a rude gesture or something.
And its not the the young bikers or car drivers. Even middle aged idiots are abound.
In indica it is sometimes worse, because if she overtakes anyone, they want to race. Once a guy almost hit the car trying to cut her.
Sirjee,
I say one can register a case against these dorks right ? Why not have a "car-cam" installed (like ones in cop cars) and video record every idiot who tries to harrass ? and broadcast the videos on youtube (showing the accused's reg plate) , I think it can be effective.

just a thought !
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
And to add :

Females drivers are still much much lesser than male drivers. So its easy to criticize them when they make a mistake because we are more observant of female drivers. How many male drivers who drive like their posterior(s) are on fire ?.

I'd rather be stuck behind a slow moving female that to do a emergency maneuver to avoid a brash and fast male cutting across my lane.

Sirjee,
I say one can register a case against these dorks right ? Why not have a "car-cam" installed (like ones in cop cars) and video record every idiot who tries to harrass ? and broadcast the videos on Youtube (showing the accused's reg plate) , I think it can be effective.

just a thought !
case against howmany?
almost every third person behaves in same way as mentioned by tanveer.
so I dont find this to be practical.
Old 23rd January 2009, 06:07   #42
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

from some of the posts here all I can say is that some of the attitudes expressed are positively ante diluvian as regards women drivers

i venture that there are an equally large number of bad men drivers as well

therefore in these matters instead of making sweeping statements, lets learn to be objective
Old 23rd January 2009, 09:36   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
from some of the posts here all I can say is that some of the attitudes expressed are positively ante diluvian as regards women drivers

i venture that there are an equally large number of bad men drivers as well
Exactly. There are so many men who drive rash and without any respect for rules or regulations. The lady driver gets noticed cause she is less in number on the road. In city traffic, where agression is a norm, if a lady driver cuts you, then its all hell raised, as if masculinity is questioned. Is it possibly cause we know that being a man, we can fight them (the whole men being stronger than women thing) if it comes to a showdown?

All that was OT. Its going to take a long long time before we get out of this mess of teasing.
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:10   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have absolutely no idea why such attitude towards women drivers exists. That said, its not due to being good or bad drivers that ladies are harrassed. I have never seen cab or call center cab drivers get harrassed. So people if you are giving this argument, please go ahead and first take panga with a blueline, they are worse
Its nice to hear the voice of reason once in a while amidst this cacophony of male chauvinism.
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:45   #45
BHPian

Wow this is just pathetic!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks