Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 10:41   #1
BHPian

Wheels & Tyres being STOLEN!

Bangalore Mirror - Tyres under threat, News - City,Bangalore Mirror=

A Tata Indica car attached to an MNC was parked in front of the driver’s house in Bhuvaneshwari Nagar, T Dasarahalli on Sunday. When the driver woke up the next morning, he was startled to find his car wheel-less on the right side! The vehicle’s anti-theft system had obviously failed miserably.
In another incident, M T Vijay Kumar, a resident of NGEF Layout, Nagarbhavi had parked his car on the road outside his house. Before going to sleep around midnight, Vijay had checked his vehicle and found everything okay, but the next morning brought a similar shock for him — this time, the two left wheels were missing! The telltale sign of the theft: a stone placed under the chassis.
Piece of cake
Welcome to the latest brainwave of car thieves. Of the five lakh-plus cars in Bangalore, a large majority are parked on the roads outside the owners’ residences. Most cars have anti-theft systems and an attempt to open the car doors or windows sets off an alarm. But wheels have no such protection — all that is needed is a box spanner to unscrew and remove them. And even car jacks are not required — in some cases the miscreants have placed stones under the chassis to remove the wheels. From then on, it’s smooth sailing as the tyres are removed from the assembly and resold for anything from Rs 750 to Rs 1,000. Besides, the police are hardly likely to scour the resale market for stolen tyres!
Brand attraction
An inspector of the Central Crime Branch said the thieves repaint stolen tyres to give them a new look and sell them for a lot less than the actual price. Naturally, new and branded tyres are preferred, not bald, worn-out ones! The stolen tyres are sold at places like J C Road, Kalasipalyam, Siddaiah Road and Shivajinagar areas, he said.
Hire a guard
The officer suggested that in every locality, owners who park their cars on the roads can join hands and hire a security guard to keep an eye on their vehicles.
Prevention is better
For those who didn’t know, there are two safety gadgets to prevent tyre thefts — wheel locks and anti-theft lug nuts. Of the two, wheel locks are a more effective deterrent. They work like regular lug nuts (the nut that holds the wheel to the axle) except that wheel locks can only be removed with a wheel-lock key, a specially shaped socket. There is one wheel lock per wheel (although if you want, you can place a second one on each wheel). Wheel locks are also available for spare tyres.
Anti-theft lug nuts make it difficult for thieves because of the unconventional shape of the nut. For example, it could be a seven-sided lug nut which can be opened only with the correct seven-sided spanner. If you lose your wheel-lock key, your car or tyre dealer can usually replace it or, at worst, break the lock and put on a new one.
Other objects of desire
1. Music system
2. Speakers
3. Fancy steering wheels
4. Seat covers
5. DVD players
WHY THIEVES LOVE TYRES
Easy to steal, don’t need jacks, even stones will do; thieves sell them for Rs 750 to 1,000; at places like J C Road, Kalasipalyam, Siddaiah Road and Shivajinagar
HOW TO PREVENT TYRE THEFTS WHEEL LOCKS
Wheel locks can only be removed with a wheel-lock key. There is one wheel lock per wheel (although if you want, you can place a second one on each wheel). Wheel locks are also available for spare tyres.
LUG NUTS
A seven-sided lug nut can be opened only with the correct seven-sided spanner. If you lose your wheel-lock key, your car or tyre dealer can usually replace it or, at worst, break the lock and put on a new one.

Did anyone try these options on the wheels ? Can you let us know where we can find it in BLR ?

PS: Mods, kindly merge with any existing thread on relevant topic. Thanks for the help
lambuhere1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2009, 10:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Oops thats bad! where can i find the wheel locks? and how much they cost?
Old 20th January 2009, 10:51   #3
BHPian

More info at Buying New Wheels - Wheel Locks vs. Anti-theft Lug Nuts
Looks like info was picked from this website. Other relevant info on how to maintain the tyres is also there

Last edited by aka_iitd : 20th January 2009 at 10:54.
Old 20th January 2009, 10:57   #4
Team-BHP Support

A colleague of mine who owned a Ford ikon 1.6 had the shock of his life when he got up one morning to find one wheel stolen, and the car standing on a stone.

Since he originally had only 4 alloys, it always looked odd even after he bought a new wheel. He didnt replace the missing alloy.
Old 20th January 2009, 11:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

thats sad.. thank god my cars are parked inside
although vehicles parked outside are subject to fuel theft..
the best part is that guy who steals the fuel is a kid because he can easily fit under the car unlike larger adults the kid reports the fuel to the adult he was assigned to..
recently in my area the kid was caught he led to the adult no 1 took action but warned them all now they wont steal fuel cos if any fuel is missing everyone's finger points in one direction
Old 20th January 2009, 11:59   #6
BHPian

Sheesh, that's bad.

Never heard of such things happening in Mumbai though. Only seen it in Bollywood movies.

And although my car is parked inside the building compound, this wheel lock thing seems like a good option.

Another question. Since they do the whole lift while keeping a stone underneath the car, doesn't it damage the underside in any way? Because, one has to almost stand on the spanner while loosening the wheel nuts...
This could have serious repurcussions, more than just missing tyres
Old 20th January 2009, 12:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Will encouraging of street dogs help here, I guess they would be coiming in the dead of the night and street dogs are a deterrent and an alarm.
Old 20th January 2009, 13:04   #8
rkg
Senior - BHPian

this happened long back in HSR layout( may be a year or two)
my colleague parked maruti van as usual inside the parking lot of the his home at night. by morning entire engine, tyres and every thing is stolen. only the the body was resting on stones. the thief's bolted the door from outside and removed everything.
my colleague has shifted to an apartment
Old 20th January 2009, 13:10   #9
Team-BHP Support

Its happened to a friend of mine in the Palika Bazaar Parking, CP, New Delhi
Old 20th January 2009, 22:01   #10
BHPian

It happened to my one of friend ‘s Matiz , he given his Matiz in a work shop.( in Guntur , AP). Lost all 4 new tyres.The put stone at all the 4 places after removing the tyres
Old 22nd March 2009, 14:04   #11
adc
Senior - BHPian

Anyone knowing where wheel locks or anti-theft lug nuts are available out here?
Old 22nd March 2009, 14:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hmm .. hope i find something nice for trackday

On more serious note,there are security systems whose alarms go off if the car is jacked up.
Old 23rd March 2009, 10:12   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Related thread : Wheel locking nuts
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Great! I have a steering lock, a gear lock and Autocop. And I thought that would do it! Damn! I need to put wheel locks now?! This keeps getting better and better each day. Does anyone have any info on where to get them in Bangalore?
Old 19th September 2009, 04:45   #15
BHPian

Indica V2 Turbo Tyre Stolen in Bangalore

Hi Friends,

My friend has a 2007 Model Indica V2 Turbo DLG, last week when his car was parked in front of his house during a night, Front right wheel was removed and replace with a 13' Flat tyre set.
He suspects this done by a Cab driver
Now he is currently using the Spare wheel

Please let me know anywhere in Bangalore we can get a used 14' Rim with Tyre to use it as a spare wheel, The rest of the tyres are good for 10-15k kms more and hence currently no plan to replace all tyres.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks