Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2009, 15:43   #46
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
@zaks honestly nobody has any business driving fast in that neck of the woods - narrow road, lots of intersecting roads, and in case there was fog, lowered visibility! Never drive faster than a speed at which you can stop within visible, clear road space is something we should follow blindly. True for curves, slopes on hills, city streets.
I agree, I agree, but think of the situation- Saturday early morning and relatively empty roads and little or no IT traffic and coming down a flyover would have induced a rush of speed, which was not the thing to do particularly if you have come after some late night sleep.

He was at fault, no doubt but to what extent? We cannot go by the media hype- all they want is sensationalism; An Expensive car, A brash young man, party previous night and had drinks, innocent elderly walkers- all makes for a dramatic story.
Old 27th January 2009, 15:57   #47
Senior - BHPian

I admit that the media does find sensational stories in "accidents" and thats probably at work here as well - amplifying the noise around the accident. Such accidents can happen anywhere (the would not happen in the US talk is rather misplaced - I've lost a friend whose Civic got hammered by a drunk idiot driving his mini-truck down the wrong side of a freeway!), and could happen even if the guy was sober and driving sanely - sometimes events do follow weird courses - but the fact that he was likely drunk and probably going too fast for his reactions to sudden surprises (that we must all expect on the roads) to be of any use makes his mistake that much larger. Sure he did not intend to cause death and injury, but idiocy/dumbness on the roads is equally culpable.
Old 28th January 2009, 09:42   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
@zaks honestly nobody has any business driving fast in that neck of the woods - narrow road, lots of intersecting roads, and in case there was fog, lowered visibility! Never drive faster than a speed at which you can stop within visible, clear road space is something we should follow blindly. True for curves, slopes on hills, city streets.
Very true. I used work in that road, right below the flyover. That place has no room for speeding. Yes, the car is powerful, but with that comes even greater responsibility. Given the pedestrian density is very high in that road, no one should go beyond 30-40 kmph in that road and be alert all the time. That is simple driving sense, drunk or not drunk.

Media did sensationalize the issue, because of the same reasons mentioned earlier. The guy deserves to be punished, but not for culpable homicide. It would have never been his intention to take lives. Believe me, such a guy spending 3-4 years in prison, would have wrecked his whole life, having lived a full life so far. That is more than death penalty for him.

Nainar
Old 28th January 2009, 11:24   #49
BHPian

In one of the pictures it can be seen that the airbag had deployed. What I think/wonder is that the Airbag had deployed on hitting the cycle blinding the driver with end result him being on the footpath.

Is it safe to have an airbag under such situations? Imagine you doing 120 odd on highway when you hit a dog (or something that size big enough to deploy airbag but not enough to slow the car down) and the airbag deploys ?

This is just my thinking correct me if I am wrong.
Old 30th January 2009, 11:35   #50
BHPian

Serial Killer

Read today in The Hindu that this guy had already killed one person in 1998 driving a bike on wrong side of Brigade Road (one way). He was aquitted then.

By the way the current accident didn't happen near flyover but at Doopanahalli bus stop on 100 ft road near New Horizon School.
Old 31st January 2009, 01:12   #51
Senior - BHPian

More Details on the previous incident

Apparently our man is a seasoned criminal

source: TOI
Read oN
Quote:
BANGALORE: Exactly 11 years ago, Karthik Somaiah, who mowed down four people in Indiranagar, was involved in an accident on Brigade Road, killing a pedestrian. However, he was then acquitted by court.

On January 26, 1998, Chandran, 45, was killed when a two-wheeler Karthik was riding hit him on Brigade Road. The case was registered at Ashoknagar traffic police station.

During investigations, the police stumbled on the case, which resulted in Chandran's killing. Barring the First Information Report (FIR) on the case, the other documents are not available. The police are searching for the case details in court.

As per FIR details, Karthik was riding his two-wheeler around 7.40 pm, defying the one-way rule on Brigade Road. Chandran, who was crossing the road, was hit by the two-wheeler. The case went on for two years and in December 2000, Karthik was acquitted, police sources said.
The police will be incorporating details of the old case, while filing a chargesheet against Karthik Somaiah.

Bail rejected

The bail of Karthik Somaiah came up for hearing before the II Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate on Thursday. After a prolonged argument, the judge rejected the bail application.
It may be recalled that on January 24, Karthik had knocked down five persons in a speeding car. Three elderly morning walkers and a cyclist were killed on Indiranagar 100 Ft road.

The deceased are Radhakrishna, 45, Dr Ramanath Pennathur, 73, Kempe Gowda, 72, and Siddappa Reddy, 69. The lone survivor in the mishap is Kodandarama Reddy, 70, who was admitted to a private hospital with multiple fractures in his leg.

Last edited by Mpower : 31st January 2009 at 01:14.
Old 31st January 2009, 17:10   #52
BHPian

Dont think he is going to be acquitted this time baby.
Old 31st January 2009, 17:38   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Dont think he is going to be acquitted this time baby.
Hey, he is progressing. First a bike and one person, now a car and 4 people, what next? A Truck and a larger crowd!??

Did you guys notice the statement that the police are not able to find any document relating to the previous case at the police station and are going to the court to find more details! So shows that the case details might have been taken care of at the police station itself!
Old 31st January 2009, 17:39   #54
Senior - BHPian

He killed 5 people...definitely a serial killer. If he's allowed to drive again god knows how many more would become his victims. You know what, such people should be banned from driving altogether.

Why wasn't he punished for the 98 crime? Driving/riding on a one way street against the flow definitely puts him at fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags View Post
you meet the nicest people on a honda.

honda's one liner for their ad campaigns.
Yes of course on a Honda.... not in it
Old 1st February 2009, 21:09   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Why wasn't he punished for the 98 crime? Driving/riding on a one way street against the flow definitely puts him at fault.
Because he is from a wealthy family and the guy he killed was from a poor family who dont have money to hire a top lawyer.
Old 28th February 2009, 12:31   #56
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Dr. Pathanurs daughter - Bhuvaneshwari - has written in with this note:

Quote:
i am the daughter of the doctor killed on the fatefull day, i want to express our[mine and my family's besides that of my father's friend's families-brought together in our joint loss] joint dispair at the immense loss and suddenly shattered lives we are left with after the thoughtless manner in which our dear ones were snatched away from us. we are gratefull towards the ACP, sri Srinivasa Murthy and his team for all the silent and sincere support and quick action they provided to us during the hour of need and still at it so to say towards getting us justice.

we only wish that the culprit never gets to drive on any road henceforth being a repeat offender and his errors growing more serious as the time passes by, his conscious will bear the brunt of his sins besides the verdict meted out to him[we have faith in the justice system of our dear land] . only the people who have gone through what we have, can understand the despration and helplessness that one undergoes, to see the basic laws of trust and responsibility that every member of a society ought to deligently follow towards each other, be so carelessly and irresponsibily broken . the trauma that the culprit goes through of the lengthy and slow legal process is not isolated only to him but also experienced by the innocent victims' families too, thereby the loss doublefolded and sufferings enhanced by wait, which is in a way, alike to being punished inspite of being innocent.!!! the power of the press and the weild of the pen are the only source of solace to such desprate people such as us in modern times.
Old 28th February 2009, 12:52   #57
Senior - BHPian

And he was granted bail today for a personal bond amount of 50K
Old 28th February 2009, 13:59   #58
BHPian

Yeah, I too read about his bail. Seems like the lawyers have blamed the airbags for mowing down the pedestrians,saying that after he'd hit the cyclist he was blinded by it. Doesn't the airbag deflate within seconds ?? How come this jerk drove for over 100 mts with it in his face as he claims ??
Old 28th February 2009, 21:15   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

100 metres at a speed of 120kmph is done in just a few seconds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks