Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2009, 09:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

4 killed in Bangalore hit-and-run case

TIMESNOW.tv - Latest Breaking News, Big News Stories, News Videos -

The news item says a Doctor died in this incident.
The link has a pic of the Accord.
Any updates from anyone in Bangalore?

Quote:
In a Bangalore hit-and-run case, the driver of the Honda Accord flees after knocking down pedestrains, killing 4 people and injuring 1. The accident took place at 6:20 AM, in the wee hours of the morning. The injured has been taken to Manipal hospital. The victims include Dr Pathanur, Kempe Gowda, Siddaiah.

The accident took place on the 80 ft road in Indira Nagar. This is supposed to be one of the posh areas in Bangalore.

The driver of the Honda Accord spun out of control and killed the clueless morning joggers.
Old 24th January 2009, 10:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

The picture in the link is not from Banglore, India. This is also mentioned under the picture that the image is just for illustration purpose.

As we all know, if the driver of Honda Accord is having good contacts and influence, he will always be innocent and others came in way of his accord to die. I am sure this is going to happen. These cases are also there in developed countries, but often justice is not denied as in our country.

A very sad incident. The solution is not to jog on the road, but on dedicated tracks ( which I doubt if they are available in proper quantity and quality all over India ) or go to gym. On normal days, be very much aware of these irresponsible drivers.
Old 24th January 2009, 10:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

they have not reported what color the accord was. This is just hopeless, lets see if cops can crack this one.
Old 24th January 2009, 10:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its a black Honda Accord. TV9 is showing the visuals. The car is owned by Mitsun Steel Company.
Old 24th January 2009, 13:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

TimesNow too was showing images from what seemed tha actual Honda car. They did show the license plates, but I can't remember it -as Ashutoash has posted it was a black Accord.
The link I posted has just a random Accord in an accident (sorry about it)
Old 24th January 2009, 13:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Cops can track it. But nothing will be done for sure. the corruptino is rampant in Karnata Police (barring a few). this steel company will throw some money on police and will get away. It will be settled out of court and w/o an FIR.

Going for a morning jog also has become a concern now with these kind of morons behind the wheels. May the souls rest n peace.

I do sincerely hope that these guys are booked under IPC code 302 and tried in courts for murder. Its not harsh...
Old 24th January 2009, 13:26   #7
BHPian

You cant make a seperate track for joggers. What will you tell when the Biker jump to the FootPath and drive ? Is footpath is not for only pedestrian ?
Its the problem with the system and the arrogant car driver. I think his driving license should be banned for life long. 80FT road is a residential road not a race track or high way.
Old 24th January 2009, 13:47   #8

Folks, indeed another sad incident. Let us not lose focus of the parts of the problem we may be able to do something by focusing on the corruption in the police or re-locating the joggers. As motorists we can do something about this. We can all agree to keep ourselves awake to bad driving, and make it a point to note down numbers of vehicles being driven rashly, and report them. For now, to the police, as undependable as they are. If we are a little more conscientious we could actually follow it up with an RTI petition, to find out what action was taken against our complaint about a rashly driven vehicle. You can be sure the cops will act, once the RTI application reaches them.

Since my idea may not find favor with many who are apprehensive of the complications involved, and possible back-lash from the police, maybe it is a good idea to kick start a "forum against rash and dangerous driving", right here on team-BHP, give a proper legal status to the forum, and route the complaints through such a forum. What do you all think ? Are there some lawyers out there who can shed some light on the legal angles ?
Old 24th January 2009, 14:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
You cant make a seperate track for joggers.
I beg to differ with this point. Most developed countries have separate tracks for joggers and bicyclists. Neither is allowed on the others' track, ensuring everyone's safety. Which is why you would never hear of an accident of this sort in say, Singapore.
Old 24th January 2009, 14:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sad and shocking, guess a similar kind of incident had taken place in Airport or Inr some years back...The car driver needs to be punished for SURE! but as snaronikar mentioned i wont be surprised if no action is taken...

Bluu lets be practical here, thanks to the planning most of the cities in Indian dont have the roads properly designed, i mean they are narrow, and in many places the footpaths have been removed to extend the road. so talking about joggers tracks is something we indians cant dream about.

I think the motorists and the other people using the road should be careful/sensitive/ sensible to avoid any such incidents....this is the only way we have!
Old 24th January 2009, 16:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

The accident occured on 100 Ft Rd, not 80 Ft Rd. 100 Ft Rd is a busy thoroughfare, becoming a mini MG Road of sorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
You cant make a seperate track for joggers. What will you tell when the Biker jump to the FootPath and drive ? Is footpath is not for only pedestrian ?
Its the problem with the system and the arrogant car driver. I think his driving license should be banned for life long. 80FT road is a residential road not a race track or high way.
Sure you can. It's called the pavement, or sidewalk, or footpath. It's for people on foot, like joggers and pedestrians. Unfortunately in India most people walk on the road.
Old 24th January 2009, 17:12   #12
BHPian

Don't know, why these big sedans are after people. In DELHI, it is quite common for BMWs to hit pedestrians/ bikers!
Old 24th January 2009, 17:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post

Sure you can. It's called the pavement, or sidewalk, or footpath. It's for people on foot, like joggers and pedestrians. Unfortunately in India most people walk on the road.
As per the visuals shown in news channels, this car has climbed the footpath & hit these people.
Old 24th January 2009, 18:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
I beg to differ with this point. Most developed countries have separate tracks for joggers and bicyclists. Neither is allowed on the others' track, ensuring everyone's safety. Which is why you would never hear of an accident of this sort in say, Singapore.
Huh??? The car definitely was not 'allowed' on the footpath. But it did manage to have a peek into the footpath and snub out 4 lives, didnt it?

In India its too late to have joggers tracks and cycling tracks in the developed townships. Instead they should
1) raise the height of the footpaths to at least 1 foot so that vehicles dont take to them
2) Clear hawkers, encroaching shops, and garbage dumps from the footpaths so that people can use the footpaths instead of walking on the road
3) drive incidents like these into the heads of people so that they understand the importance of footpaths
4) Have zebra crossings at all intersections and give pedestrians the right of way.
5) speeds have to be controlled within city limits(automatic monitoring thru cameras and electronic challans). To rip, take to the highway or the ring road.
Old 24th January 2009, 18:52   #15
BHPian

Just seen in NDTV, the owner has just surrendered. After 12 hours, he is still under the influence of Alcohol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks