Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2009, 22:58   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

While the car is airborne, there is nothing you can do except hope it continues in the same direction when it hits the ground --- which it should, as long as nothing breaks, and the surface is good.

If I recall correctly, the advice for skidding, aquaplaning and the like is feet off --- everything.

Quote:
Experts, need your input on how to bring back the airborne car back to ground.
Hmm... It would be remarkable only if it didn't return to the ground!

Did you fly for long enough to think about it? Serious question, because I'd doubt that you would, and if you did, I'd seriously offer the advice to pray that the car is still in one piece after hitting the ground.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 10th February 2009 at 23:06.
Old 11th February 2009, 09:30   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Well, this is my understanding. If you are airborne and you press the brakes there is a chance that the wheels will lock up as you touch down. In ABS cars the behavior is uncertain, and depends on the ABS firmware. Infact rally drivers make it a point to disable ABS.

The other reason is that most Indian cars are front heavy. So usually the front lands before the rear. Braking in this situation is the same as braking at potholes and speed breakers - the weight of the car transfers to the front and it puts lot of stress on the front suspensions and axle, besides giving a hard jerk.
Old 11th February 2009, 10:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

i remember the bridge quite vividly myself as I went airborne in an indica at about 130. sadly, i was strapped in, whereas a OHC who also hit the same spot was not. He veered to the left and stopped as i think there was a kid in the car.

It is one really CRAZY bridge, i dont know why they have not repaired it. The funny thing is that EVERY one slows down towards the top- you will always see the L boards clipping up the bridge only to either bottom out (if they are fully loaded) or lift off!
Old 11th February 2009, 11:57   #34
BHPian

Surprise, thank goodness you and your family made it out all ok.

There's a lesson to be learnt here bud. It pays to be patient!

Let me illustrate with two examples of my own.

Was driving along the NH17, following an ST bus. Had tried a move a couple of times, but the bugger just wasn't ready to budge. Was at my wits end!
Saw a turn coming up. It was pretty wide, and there wasn't any oncoming vehicle. So swung out for the overtake.
The ST bus, too, swung wide for some reason . And before I knew it we were within kissing distance. Some last minute maneuvering saved the day!
The ST bus stopped soon afterwards. And i moved ahead easy.

Was following a truck down a narrow ghat. Wanted to pull a move so swung out, only to realise that the truck being empty was going at a fair clip. This would have made it extremely risky to overtake. So tucked back in.
Five minutes later we hit a straight stretch and the truck was a mere speck in the rearview.

Bout the airborne bit. Nothing much you can do in the air ya. No contact, no control! Maybe brake lightly after landing to rein in your speed.
Old 11th February 2009, 12:04   #35
BANNED

How much time will one save by overtaking a slow moving vehicle taking so many risks?

Next time you are about to try something crazy like this, think about it.

If you are ready to wait an oppurtunity will come up quite soon.

Its really not worth risking so much for gaining 5-10 mins over total travel time.
Old 11th February 2009, 13:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys,
As this bridge in question is a potential hazard point, can someone please take the pain to locate it on Google Maps, mark it and post it here? It'll be really helpful for the forum members who plans for a trip on that road and a first timer.
Regards,
Old 11th February 2009, 14:46   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
As this bridge in question is a potential hazard point, can someone please take the pain to locate it on Google Maps, mark it and post it here?
Hey, that's a really cool idea.

In fact, I suggest each of us take the responsibility to mark out the routes we regularly take. We could have codes, e.g. RED/BLACK FLAG for dangerous areas like this bridge.

What say Mods?

Last edited by Blur : 11th February 2009 at 15:04. Reason: typos
Old 11th February 2009, 15:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Experts, need your input on how to bring back the airborne car back to ground. No, Iam not going to repeat what I have done, just wanted to educate myself on this. As Wat, as pointed out that we need to accelerate and not to brake at those situations
This question is best put to pilots, IMO .

BTW, thanks for sharing your experience, and thank your stars you came out unscathed.
Old 11th February 2009, 15:11   #39
Team-BHP Support

If you hit the ground with your tires locked up then you will burn them out.
Like how we use erasers on paper.

Our vehicles have either FWD or RWD. So if you are accelerating then either the front or the rear will be spinning faster than the other.

I think the best thing to do is do nothing.
Keep the car in whatever gear it was or maybe one up.
keep the steering straight and brace for impact.

as soon as you land speed up.
Once control is attained stop and inspect the vehicle.
Old 11th February 2009, 15:14   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sorry but cant resist anymore You dont need to do anything to bring an airborne car back to ground. Gravity will do the trick for you. Unless your car has wings aerodynamically designed to take off!

Best thing to do is brace for impact!! And pray.

Btw, best time to overtake a vehicle from inside when its on a curve is when it has crossed the apex. Before apex, the gap between the vehicle and edge of the road will keep on decreasing.
Old 11th February 2009, 17:18   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm glad somebody else shares my faith in gravity

I'll say again (It might have got lost in the moved linguistic posts) --- if you have time to even think about it, best to pray. Otherwise, hands off everything. Except keep the wheel straight.
Old 11th February 2009, 17:55   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

@Surprise, without meaning any offense and simply on a light note, allow me say that your question of how to bring back an airborne car back on ground should be entered into one of those popular IQ quiz on tv and i am sure a lot of genius kids/adults would wrack their brains to answer this one
Old 11th February 2009, 18:11   #43
BANNED

You wouldn't have been airborne for more than a few feet / seconds. It is scary no doubt but nothing to worry about. Now that you know where this hot spot is, you WILL slow down the next time you see this bridge, believe me.

Real airborne is on the NICE corridor between Bannerughatta Road and Kanakapura Road in Bangalore, if you don't slow down in time before the steep downhill stretch.
Old 11th February 2009, 18:33   #44
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for letting me know that car will land back due to gravity

Thad E Ginathom, you are absolutely right that even before you realize you are grounded back. Just wanted to find out whether even applying slight brake after landing would be of any consequences. Though I have did that safely, wanted to check out.
Old 11th February 2009, 18:53   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Real airborne is on the NICE corridor between Bannerughatta Road and Kanakapura Road in Bangalore, if you don't slow down in time before the steep downhill stretch.
Don't they have a warning board for the steep downhill? They have them on the road to my village. And that's only a SH, I guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks