Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2010, 19:38   #31
BHPian

Such "pre-owned" parts are easily available in Gurgaon as well.

What the spare parts dealer in Lajpat Nagar explained to me was, that these thieves only go for ORVMs (or other parts) which are available only with the dealers, and not outside in the open market. Because they know that one will need to break the bank to get the original parts from the dealer!

He said that till a few months ago (at that time), the ORVMs of the NHC (my other car) were available only with Honda, costing 3.5 to 4k odd per mirror. So there was a market for stolen NHC mirrors. But now these mirrors are available much cheaper in the open market, so no one will touch your NHC mirrors now.

As far as the law enforcement goes, you try going to the police to report a theft like this. They will not agree to file a report, and even if they do, they'll most likely write that you "lost" your mirrors somewhere! Losing something is your mistake, but a theft is a crime. Theft cases increase the crime rate in the SHO's area, so good luck getting a theft case registered for anything!

A bit off-topic: The mirror insert from my NHC did get stolen once from the same area in South Delhi. Honda wanted 850 plus taxes plus labour (??) for it. So I went to a spare parts shop in Gurgaon and got an el-cheapo local mirror insert for 200 bucks. The writing on the mirror said "OBJECTS IN MIRROR AS SAME AS THEY APPEAR". LOL!!

Last edited by vineetmanghani : 10th September 2010 at 19:42. Reason: To add the OT.
vineetmanghani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2010, 09:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetmanghani View Post
The writing on the mirror said "OBJECTS IN MIRROR AS SAME AS THEY APPEAR". LOL!!
That's because these el-cheapo local mirrors are not convex but 1:1. The original ones are convex which is why you have the warning "closer than they appear".
Old 11th September 2010, 10:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

But the makers of these cheap mirrors didn't leave the customer less informed. LOL.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2010, 15:09   #34
BHPian

Re: ANHC ORVM Organized Theft Racket - Owners beware

Our cops know about all these things going on.
But they claim that they are really busy and under staffed to catch all the criminals and their activities.
If something is done to a VIP's car these crooks will be tracked and busted in no time.

Basically there is nothing called a perfect crime, and that too when it involves so many people.

The cops definitely know about this whole deal.
They are too busy to crack them down and more over they must be getting their share of the income.
Old 2nd October 2012, 11:47   #35
BHPian

Same story with me tonight... my new honda city sunroof(2 months old) side view mirrors(entire wings) stolen at night.

Does anyone knows where we get anti theft border in Delhi ?

What is the insurance depreciation for 2 month old car (50%) ?
Old 1st August 2013, 13:39   #36
BHPian

Hi,

I have a different problem. I have a City ZX, and the mirror casing was broken by a biker, but the motor and everything was working. I fixed it with m-seal, but have not aligned it properly with the result that the mirror shows the more of the bottom part of the road.

Is there a way the m-seal can be broken / melted to re-align the mirror? I tried asking the hardware stores, but they had no clue.

Thanks,
Simran
Old 1st August 2013, 15:05   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simran View Post
I have a different problem. I have a City ZX, and the mirror casing was broken by a biker, but the motor and everything was working.
Is there a way the m-seal can be broken / melted to re-align the mirror? I tried asking the hardware stores, but they had no clue.
Try tapping the M-Seal gently with a small hammer.

City ZX mirrors are quite economical nowadays (~Rs.1500 each), so you'd be better off replacing the whole unit.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 13:51   #38
BHPian

It worked. I chipped away with a small hammer and the entire thing came out. I aligned it properly and had it reset. It's working ok now.

Thank you.
simran is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks