Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2009, 17:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
I really can't understand how a bicycle broke it. Superb's ORVMs are a bit sturdy isn't it?

Lalvaz:
Some Merc's ORVM cost more than a lakh. No one can justify this price. but they set these price based on the price of the car.
A friends friend who owns a ferrari had a ORVM replacement flown in along with the person to do the fitting from Italy at a total cost of 4 lakhs or so. Scary thought, I could have a full list of 10 different cars to buy at that price.
Old 5th March 2009, 11:17   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Avoid driving with those ORVMs ( ears ) opened. They are the first one to take impact from pedestrain and/or two wheelers.
aaggoswami:
I dont think its a good idea. Atleast when you keep the ORVMs open, there is some spring mechanism that reduces the impact. But when you fold ORVM, in most of the cars, it will still protrude outside. And now if it hit by some object, it will break for sure.

vineethvazhayil:
A guy has to come from Italy to fit the ORVM? . Normally cars are called as pleasure car. And in these sort of cases, we have to forget the word 'pleasure'.
Old 5th March 2009, 11:48   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess i'm the only smartest one here. My OHC ORVMs were broken by miscreants one night and honda gave me a quote of 16K for the pair plus painting and labour. Smart me went to chor bazaar and got me two sets of mirrors assemblies plus a 2 extra convex mirrors for 1500bucks total.
You can get anything there from the scrap dealers!
And before people pounce on me, 99.9% of stuff sold at chor bazaar is from scrapped cars and not stolen.

Scooby, i seriously recommend you to take a trip to CB.
Old 5th March 2009, 11:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
You are talking about OVRM for Superb being costly. My b-i-l got his left mirror of WagonR Vxi thrashed and was lighter by 7k after that. Even WagonR? Agreed that it was an electically adjustable OVRM, but still it is pretty steep for that car, and that too from MUL.
Stiff indeed!! I inquired about the Fiesta's ORVM kit,and I was told it is Rs 3000 per side. I thought that was steep, but now I have realized how other manufacturer's are ripping off customers!!

What is more surprising is that even MUL has joined the bandwagon,with WagonR's ORVM costing 7K . A bit OT, but I read somewhere that a Baleno's rear lights costing 20K! Perfect example of daylight robbery.

One good thing on the Fiesta's OVRMs are that they completely fold in both directions--an idiot pedestrian hit my right ORVM a few months ago, but I was astonished to see the mirror folding completely outwards (opposite to normal folding). All I had to do was to fold it back to normal open position.

Last edited by vnabhi : 5th March 2009 at 11:55.
Old 5th March 2009, 11:54   #20
BHPian

One of my cousin bought the very first lot of NHC the non ZX series ( 3rd one ), his rear veiw was taken away by motor cyclists in such a way that whole door along with the mirror was re-placed.

Honda guys told them that in this particular first lot if you loose you rear view mirror the whole door has to be re-placed
Old 5th March 2009, 11:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
One good thing on the Fiesta's OVRMs are that they completely fold in both directions--an idiot pedestrian hit my right ORVM a few months ago, but I was astonished to see the mirror folding completely outwards (opposite to normal folding). All I had to do was to fold it back to normal open position.
Same with that of Palio. I have been saved on many an occasion because of this feature.
Old 5th March 2009, 12:20   #22
BHPian

the motorised and the indicator embedded ORVM are damn costly!!
the accent ORVM non electrical type costs 1.4k and the Verna non electrical ones cost 3.5k both of them has got spares for only the glass. thats like 300rs for accent and 400 rs for verna

but the electrical ones are costly but still not in the wagonR teritory lol.

please bear in mind that Suzuki is Japanese and the motor inside these mirrors come form japan and are costly. while the KIA motors in hyundai spares are from korea! meaning cheap!.

the motors in european cars are mostly from Bosch hence the sky high prices!!
Old 5th March 2009, 12:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I was astonished to see the mirror folding completely outwards (opposite to normal folding). All I had to do was to fold it back to normal open position.
vnabhi:
Most of the cars have this feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I guess i'm the only smartest one here. My OHC ORVMs were broken by miscreants one night and honda gave me a quote of 16K for the pair plus painting and labour. Smart me went to chor bazaar and got me two sets of mirrors assemblies plus a 2 extra convex mirrors for 1500bucks total.
You can get anything there from the scrap dealers!
And before people pounce on me, 99.9% of stuff sold at chor bazaar is from scrapped cars and not stolen.

Scooby, i seriously recommend you to take a trip to CB.
Tejas:
I don't agree to you. The smartest guy is the chor from whom you bought the ORVMs. He would have stolen it from someone. The one stolen from you will be sold to someone else. That 0.1% is good enough to say that you are not confidant. There is a place in Chennai called Pudupet. Any bike stolen from Chennai will reach this place as spare parts.

"What is yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, and will belong to someone else the day after tomorrow" (sorry to use Bhagwat Geetha quote here. Buts suits perfectly)

Unless we stop encouraging these guys, we will be fooled by them. :(

Last edited by MadRash : 5th March 2009 at 12:33.
Old 5th March 2009, 13:06   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
vnabhi:
That 0.1% is good enough to say that you are not confidant.
These guys will sell anything of the car from mirrors, bumpers, seats, engines, horns, lights, etc. They have proper shops. Scrap dealers.

It's generally on friday mornings that they have street markets where the hawkers sell wares/parts/accessories on the street which have a doubtful origin. This is the 0.1%.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks