Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2009, 17:09   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partho-Palio View Post
That is a nice sobering experience. Thanks for sharing. It needs courage to admit our mistakes!
Old 12th March 2009, 17:21   #47
BHPian

When somebody tailgates & irritates me by honking/flashing HLs I normally do one of the two things.

a - Downshift to a lower gear, make sure that car can accelerate quickly for what I am going to do next. make sure the fellow is still tailgating. Hold my breath, hit the breaks for 1 (safe) or 2 (Risky) seconds - remember the 2 second rule for tailgating. Then quickly hit the gas and race away. This usually scares the living & dead s*** out of the tailgater.

b - don't give way till there is a cow/auto/other slow moving mass of matter on the right most lane, when I spot one - I give way and take a left. This works only if the fellow is not able to spot the auto/cattle/other traffic...
Old 12th March 2009, 19:05   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partho-Palio View Post
I have a truck on my left, a truck behind that truck, an Indica in front of me moving along and three Indicas coming from other side. The time I realized that I am terribly wrong, I hesitated, braked, and then soon (in fifth gear) tried to overtake, the engine got off. I stopped fully. First Indica swerved and saved me, second and third tailgated the first one, they all missed me in whisker.

The truck behind the truck was NOT exactly behind, that too swerved and saved me. I had my wife and two kids with me. Whose luck was that I do not know.
Good that you learned out from it & also shared your experience here for many to learn & yes, ofcourse on what not to do . That was really scary
Old 12th March 2009, 19:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

@clevermax Its good of you to bring it up on here about your experience. Although our fellow T-BHP comrades are quite vise and experienced drivers but its always good to remind ourselves of the danger while driving.

I believe some people lack the vision or just some road commonsense while committing these blunders.

I had the same experience almost 9yrs ago. Some boys wanted to race with me on the way to Kasauli before Dharampur. I tried to avoid them by just getting away from him and their car ended just like the Indica in your episode. The only difference was that he collided head on with a truck and I saw the guy coming out of the Windscreen. His A pillar was touching the rear tyre but luckily and to my surprise, all of the occupants were safe and went home with just the bruised ego.
Old 13th March 2009, 07:13   #50
PVS
BHPian

Quite an interesting thread about the dangers of mindless overtaking. I question: Is it correct to switch on your left indicators the moment you start overtaking, and switch them off, when you get back to your lane? I have seen many doing that, and do it myself, when overtaking especially on highways.
Old 13th March 2009, 07:49   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVS View Post
... I question: Is it correct to switch on your left indicators the moment you start overtaking, and switch them off, when you get back to your lane? I have seen many doing that, and do it myself, when overtaking especially on highways.
This is actually a practice that we follow only in India (yet to be seen in the other few countries I have visited).

I guess it started with the long distance truck driver, who usually have a flying arm,of the helper, when they are overtaking. This is mostly to inform the vehicle that they are overtaking that they will be going thru and to slow down to let them finish the overtake.

If you watch closely, you will also notice that the helper will start waving his arm fanatically if the overtaking is a risky one, where another lorry / bus is approaching fast in the opposite lane!

And, is it harmful or wrong if one does it - No!

But does it serve any purpose - IMHO, depends on the situation.

When in a tight situation (read the fanatic arm above!) it is a good practice to put the left indicator, especially if you are going to do a quick cut back into your correct lane. Serves to warn the other driver that you plan to do so. And since this can also be taken as a request, some drivers are more lenient in giving way, if they see a waving arm / blinking light.

And all this is only when driving on a two way traffic road.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 13th March 2009 at 08:07.
Old 13th March 2009, 12:14   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Quite an interesting thread about the dangers of mindless overtaking. I question: Is it correct to switch on your left indicators the moment you start overtaking, and switch them off, when you get back to your lane? I have seen many doing that, and do it myself, when overtaking especially on highways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
.........And, is it harmful or wrong if one does it - No!
But does it serve any purpose - IMHO, depends on the situation.
When in a tight situation (read the fanatic arm above!) it is a good practice to put the left indicator, especially if you are going to do a quick cut back into your correct lane....
I believe a well planned overtake is one where you don't force a guy coming from the opposite direction to brake hard and you don't force a guy whom you are overtaking to brake hard when you cut back in to your lane. Doesn't always happen but to be tried for.

PVS, keeping the left indicator on serves the purpose when you are using it properly as a warning. But I have been in a few situations where people start on an overtake which they know will be tight or risky and use this method to insist that I give way, making me brake hard while they themselves cut back in recklessly. Like the Sumos/SUV taxis who try to use their bulk to cut across smaller/lighter cars at signals.

If you are using this method (keeping your left indicator on right from the start of the overtake), don't take it for granted. Not to be used as a right to get a way back in, whether there is place or not. In that case it's just going to cause some raised tempers. And if the guy you are overtaking is reckless or just in a lousy mood, it may put you in a tighter spot.
Old 13th March 2009, 12:29   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Yep, this is right. I do it too when switching lanes or overtaking. Warns others & notice how a cop will never catch you for cutting if you follow this practice
Old 13th March 2009, 13:07   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Is it correct to switch on your left indicators the moment you start overtaking, and switch them off, when you get back to your lane? I have seen many doing that, and do it myself, when overtaking especially on highways.
Well, it is good to show indications of your intentions.

But the correct sequence in my opinion should be - right when you come to the right for your overtaking process, finish it and left when you are about to go back to the original lane after overtaking is over.
Old 13th March 2009, 13:14   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
But the correct sequence in my opinion should be - right when you come to the right for your overtaking process, finish it and left when you are about to go back to the original lane after overtaking is over.
Before you start to overtake, look at the right side-rear view mirror if any vehicle is approaching fast on your right to overtake you.
If yes, let him pass, if no, proceed with your overtake in the sequence mentioned by Trrk above.

And if it is a two-way road, after you take the right you need to check for any oncoming vehicles too.

Last edited by finneyp : 13th March 2009 at 13:17.
Old 13th March 2009, 14:08   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Guys,

Moral2: Always downshift and overtake, for quicker acceleration.
Agree with you, hav seen many "cars" who think they are taking a stroll in the car and try to over take on the higher gears...this is asking for trouble.
Old 13th March 2009, 14:24   #57
BANNED

There are some unconventional practices followed on some of our 2-lane National Highways:

I have noticed that a car ahead of me about to overtake will use the right indicator to indicate his intention to overtake. As he completes the overtake, depending on circumstances, he will / will not use the left indicator.

Not using the left indicator to get back into the lane means there is no oncoming vehicle and the vehicle behind can also overtake.

Using the left indicator means there is an oncoming vehicle and you are cautioned to wait and attempt the overtake after the oncoming vehicles have passed.

I follow the same practice when I notice the drivers on that stretch doing this. While it may not be correct, I have found it useful when I don't have complete visibility of the other lane (car height ensures this).

Last edited by hrag : 13th March 2009 at 14:26.
Old 13th March 2009, 14:32   #58
BANNED

I guess that depends on the car. When I drive on highways, I rarely downshift - except may be for the speedbreaker.
I maintain my speed: If somebody is doing lower speed, overtake. If somebody is doing higher speed, give way
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Agree with you, hav seen many "cars" who think they are taking a stroll in the car and try to over take on the higher gears...this is asking for trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Moral2: Always downshift and overtake, for quicker acceleration.
Old 13th March 2009, 14:37   #59
Senior - BHPian

^^You are essentially spending a longer duration of time on the wrong side of the highway if you don't downshift. Its dangerous for you and oncoming traffic.
Old 13th March 2009, 14:46   #60
BHPian

whats the whole point of this thread??!!

tailgating fellows should be given way thats all! why the heck should we indulge in a stupid race shifting down or not . we are asking for trouble. either we will be tailgated!!( as in hit from back!) there goes a nice day! or worse you will end up making the tailgating guy hit something or someone!!( doing a stupid dodging thing!) and yeah we can also go hit someone or something in all the panic!!

GROW UP!!
and dont be over smart!! i have seen all sorts of circus!! and trust me some tend to be not a good scene!

let the flaming continueee

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks