Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2009, 02:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Raccon, sorry to hear about your ordeal, but I guess you can't do anything as you've parked in a no-parking area (albeit unknowingly) and hence violated the law. And they were not wrong(according to law) to pick up vehicles parked in wrong area. You are lucky that your bike didn't got any scratches during this episode. Although I do agree that there should be a law which tells that authority need to pay the fine if they damage the vehicle in the process. But that's a distant dream.

Another point of view: In your case it was an invisible demarcation, so it was your hard luck. But I've seen here in Bangalore, people park there two-wheelers shamelessly on car parking areas and vice-versa even when there is a big board marking the areas. They just don't bother and I really don't mind if those vehicles getting picked up by traffic police.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 31st March 2009 at 02:15.
Old 31st March 2009, 03:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

You should paint a white line across the policeman's face and ask "White line, what white line??"

Another thing about Pune is the P1 /P2 parking.. Whats the whole point of parking one side of the road on an even day and on the other side on an odd day??? Imagine if you don't remember what date it is.. and you had to park.
Old 31st March 2009, 16:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Raccon, sorry to hear about your ordeal, but I guess you can't do anything as you've parked in a no-parking area (albeit unknowingly) and hence violated the law. And they were not wrong(according to law) to pick up vehicles parked in wrong area. You are lucky that your bike didn't got any scratches during this episode. Although I do agree that there should be a law which tells that authority need to pay the fine if they damage the vehicle in the process. But that's a distant dream.

Another point of view: In your case it was an invisible demarcation, so it was your hard luck. But I've seen here in Bangalore, people park there two-wheelers shamelessly on car parking areas and vice-versa even when there is a big board marking the areas. They just don't bother and I really don't mind if those vehicles getting picked up by traffic police.
I didn't violate any law... the law violated me and my bike! The area is not at all clearly demarcated, and hence I'd say its transgression of any sensible law! Any law that snatches away people's property like this and damages it is a rouge law... and the people who implement it are rouges.

And it did get few scratches... not so well seen in the pic. The only reason why it didn't get more scratches is because I was breathing down their necks when they took it off the truck... and in fact I myself lugged it from there to the police parking lot.

I know lot of irresponsible people park their vehicles and cause much inconvenience to others! But damaging property like this is in no way justified. I feel such vehicles should be fined.... more heavily if required. The 'law' is not currently capable of getting implemented in a better way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
You should paint a white line across the policeman's face and ask "White line, what white line??"

Another thing about Pune is the P1 /P2 parking.. Whats the whole point of parking one side of the road on an even day and on the other side on an odd day??? Imagine if you don't remember what date it is.. and you had to park.
Well, thats kinda justified, if you ask me... so that you bug people on alternate sides of the road on alternate days... Lol!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 31st March 2009 at 16:12. Reason: see note in post
Old 31st March 2009, 16:07   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Imagine if you don't remember what date it is.. and you had to park.
Forget the date?? Duh? Ask a passerby man or look into your mobile. Unless i have crossed the International dateline before finding a place to park i can be excused.

But try telling that to the cop who catches you parked on the wrong side because you forgot what date it is
Old 1st April 2009, 04:19   #20
BHPian

spadival, the odd/even day parking discourages people from leaving their vehicles overnight -- or permanently -- in the same spot. Also, nobody can "block" or claim a spot as his own, even if it's right outside his building.
Edsel Rulez! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2009, 06:15   #21
BANNED

do you think they frame stupid rules to ensure public safety / convenience? they frame these rules to generate revenue. so the hazier a rule is, the better for them.
these jackasses park anywhere they choose, ride around without helmets and dont wear seatbelts. who punishes them? nobody! and to boot, they treat vehicles like crap.
believe me, if we all started following rules, they would end up bankrupt and would frame even stupider rules to ensure that their cash flow is not hampered.
Old 1st April 2009, 13:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I didn't violate any law... the law violated me and my bike! The area is not at all clearly demarcated, and hence I'd say its transgression of any sensible law! Any law that snatches away people's property like this and damages it is a rouge law... and the people who implement it are rouges.
Why I said you've violated the law it's because that in the court your reasoning is not going to hold any water. As you've yourself said the area was demarcated for No-parking for two-wheelers even though the mark is not visible and you fell victim for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
And it did get few scratches... not so well seen in the pic. The only reason why it didn't get more scratches is because I was breathing down their necks when they took it off the truck... and in fact I myself lugged it from there to the police parking lot.
That's really sad and I feel sorry for you. And as I said we should have a law which can punish/fine those who mis-handles the vehicles/car for whatever reason it may be. I hope there is such law exists and if not then this has to be penned down sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
do you think they frame stupid rules to ensure public safety / convenience? they frame these rules to generate revenue. so the hazier a rule is, the better for them..
And what if we all don't pay them bribes and instead pay the fine and get a receipt, then? Then the money won't go down into their pockets, right? So better stop paying the bribes to save some bucks and instead pay up the actual fine amount with a proper receipt.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 1st April 2009 at 13:10.
Old 1st April 2009, 13:24   #23
BANNED

easier said than done. but yes. it would be swell if all of us started demanding challans. you would be surprised when you see how many of them dont even have a challan book while they are giving you chapter and verse.

their standard retort when you ask for a challan is "come to the cophouse and get one. we are taking your vehicle until then." its a difficult bluff to call.
Old 1st April 2009, 15:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
easier said than done. but yes. it would be swell if all of us started demanding challans. you would be surprised when you see how many of them dont even have a challan book while they are giving you chapter and verse.

their standard retort when you ask for a challan is "come to the cophouse and get one. we are taking your vehicle until then." its a difficult bluff to call.
Yeah, true, but we can try. I'll tell you a recent experience of mine. Recently a traffic police stopped me and told me that I've jumped the red-light. I knew I did not. He took me to his officer in-charge. I told him politely that I know that I've not jumped the signal and instead of catching the offender his constable caught a wrong guy. Then he told me to pay 100Rs to let me go. I told him that I'll pay the fine even though I know I've not broken the rule and I need the challan. The guy told me that I can go and I don't need to pay the fine. All I did was that I firmly stood my ground (and I was polite, yeah I've stopped shouting , well trying to.) and made it clear that I've not broken the rule and that still I'll pay only if he gives me a challan. No bribes. He knew that he is not going to get a single paisa as bribe and let me go or may be he felt that it was his constable's fault.
BTW, this would've been my first ticket while driving if I remember correctly.
Old 1st April 2009, 15:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Well, I also got a reciept for the reduced fine I paid. But now the question is, are these receipts genuine??

One other incident comes to mind when I visited Nana Peth area in the city (which is known for its concentration of auto shops) to get a new tyre for my Shogun. This area is extremely crowded. The auto shop from where I got the tyre from is in something like a corner. I parked my bike in front of the shop, where multiple rows or other vehicles are parked. I kept on looking behind at my bike... fearing that it might get picked away. Though it was not in the way, nor was there any explicit no-parking sign there. The shop guy saw this and told me not to worry about it at all, as it was their responsibility - they give the cops in the truck "haftas" (bribe) regularly, so that no vehicle in front of their shop every gets picked up!

Now this causes much chaos on the road as these multiple rows of vehicles in front of the shop aggravate the already sad traffic situation there... but thats how this towing business is working in our country!

Last edited by Raccoon : 1st April 2009 at 15:52.
Old 1st April 2009, 15:57   #26
BANNED

preisely why I said its a difficult bluff to call. but I always ask for a challan now.
I was once in Bangalore for a day. was hunting for a petrol pump late at night when I was stopped by a bunch of inebriated cops without a challan book or even name tags. they started trying to bulldoze their way through byasking for the NOC. when I tried to explain that I was there only for a day, they started to get nasty. I decided I had enough and told them to write out a challan. surprise! no challan book. and the inevitable line"take your challan and the car from the PS".

having seen red already, I hit back. said "touch the car without writing out a challan and I will funk you up."
2 minutes anda group discussion later, they waved me through.

its a luck thing. they have power to misuse. dangerous.
Old 1st April 2009, 16:14   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Raccoon, it always pains to have your vehicle scratched.
I guess i must have been one of the blessed few to get compensated for my scratched bumper.
This is what happened:
My car got towed from outside (my fault - it was 7:55pm and the no parking ended at 8pm so i thought who will come in 5min? - but Mr. Murphy was smiling at me!!!). Anyways, my watchman came running to tell me that the car has been towed. So i catch a cab and reach the police station just before the tow truck does. As he is lowering the car, one of the rubber pads that they use as a buffer slips and the chain causes a scratch on the bumper. This happened in front of my eyes. I then completely lost it at the towing guy and the traffic constable in the truck. Soon the entire force of the police station was out trying to pacify me. Finally, the senior inspector came and said that do not show pics and file a written complaint to his superiors (which i threatened to do & also to the media) and that his son in law has a garage and will get it repainted free. So first i went and checked out the garage. It was a reputable private one at nana chowk (south mumbai - i won't name it). They took the car and repainted the bumper and exactly matched the colour to red (dodge red old honda city) and also gave me a free teflon coat and polish.
And to save the best for last: they promised never to tow my car from outside my house even if it is no-parking (unless ofcourse there was VIP movement or some superior officer was on inspection).
Old 2nd April 2009, 12:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Forget the date?? Duh? Ask a passerby man or look into your mobile. Unless i have crossed the International dateline before finding a place to park i can be excused.

But try telling that to the cop who catches you parked on the wrong side because you forgot what date it is
In that case, hope they implement this rule in B'lore yesterday . What if the passerby gives you the wrong date.. try explaining that to the cops!! Also, By the time I ask someone or I look into the mobile, the parking space would be taken !!

In any case, the explanations on the P1/P2 boards are written only in Marathi. so outsiders, tough luck if you cant understand Marathi.
Old 2nd April 2009, 17:37   #29
BHPian

OT: i was waiting outside a supermarket by the roadside in parallel parking position for my wife, seeing the tow vechile i started my car and was idling , the cops wanted to challan me for wrong parking . i was arguing with them that techincally i have not parked and my engine is still running after about 15 mins cops let me go with a warning ... i dont know whether i was right or wrong ..
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:08   #30
BHPian

I almost got my vehicle towed away during my lunch time , I work in electronic city, blore & normally go out for lunch. The rolled up some kind of chain & I am very sure it will damage the front bumper which is fiber material. What was so irritating was the attitude of the guys carrying out the towing job? I reached the spot on time & these not so educated guys think they are part of the police brigade & start advising you.

Normally I am not worried about the fine but i would definitely give a piece of my mind if they damage my car. I have seen how the two wheelers are handled & they are tied together using a big chain.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks