Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 01:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

^^^Giving them a piece of your mind will not help the case at all. They are super thick skinned. You gotta hit them someplace it hurts... actually thats true for most cases. Verbal apologies/assurances/silence or whatever dosent count for anything. It does not make the damage to your vehicle go away or the time you wasted come back.
Old 3rd April 2009, 02:42   #32
BHPian

Strictly No Stopping, No Halting and No Parking Here !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
i was arguing with them that techincally i have not parked and my engine is still running after about 15 mins cops let me go with a warning ... i dont know whether i was right or wrong ..
Correct: Technically speaking, 'a car is parked' means:
1. The engine is off,
2. The ignition key is out,
3. The windows are rolled up,
4. The car is locked,
5. There is no driver or occupant inside,
6. The hand brake may also be engaged.

Such arguments have worked in the past. For example, many years ago, a lawyer once won a court case in Mumbai because he proved in court that that there was no law stating that you have to stop at a red light !

However, since the past few years, you will notice that traffic signboards in Maharashtra now say: "No Stopping, No Halting and No Parking Here".
Old 16th December 2013, 11:50   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
City Pride, Kothrud (Pune). Parking Harassment

This incident took place yesterday at around 12.30 pm. I was meeting some friends at the city pride kothrud personalized gift shop to buy a birthday gift for a friend of mine. I parked my bike outside and clicked a pic before going in. We were at crossword book store when i saw the Blue 407 of the traffic police picking up some bikes. I saw the RVM's of my Fazer inside the truck and rushed to the spot. I immediately took my phone out and showed the pic to the guy who was picking up the bikes and asked him to leave my bike. The guy replied very rudely inspite of me being polite with him and asked me to talk to the cop. I went to the cop and showed him the pic, without even seeing the pic the cop started talking rudely and asked me to come to the police station. I called my mom and she immediately sent my uncle with my younger brother.
I saw the 407 stopping again near big bazaar, by then two of my friends had reached the spot. I again went to the cop and requested him to leave my bike. He again was rude and asked one of those guys to show me the pic of my bike. This guy showed me the pic of some Royal Enfield. When i told him show me my bike's pic he started abusing me. I lost my cool and abused him equally. I even told him that once i am at the station i will handle him separately. As soon as the truck left my brother and my uncle reached the spot. We immediately left for the Paud Phata police station. As soon as i reached there i clicked a pic of my bike, the guy who had abused me and the cop (have attached those pics here too). Those guys started blabbering all possible stuff related to getting me jailed and what not, but as soon as they saw that i had the pic before parking they all disappeared. My uncle was talking to the cop and showed him the pic. The cop said that i was creating a ruckus there, which i had to start because of their rude behavior. He went on to say that if i wasn't wrong i shouldn't have created problems there and directly come to the police station. So every time they do this i should waste my time and beg them to give my bike back at the police station.
The guy who was filling the register at the station asked me to keep my cool and take my bike. When i mentioned to him that i won't pay a single penny, he was a bit hesitant but said no problem you take it. Anyway the cop later checked for my license and the smart card and asked me to take my bike. I checked the bike thoroughly for any damage. Fortunately there was no damage. There was no influence used nor any money given under or above the table.

Lessons Learnt
1. Always park your vehicle at the CPK parking inside.
2. If at all you park it outside, always click the pics of parked vehicle specifically showing the parking line.
3. Don't ever talk to those guys who pick these vehicles up. They are arrogant and very harsh with their words.
4. Don't even mention about paying them up. I had done the same mistake 6 month back and ended up paying Rs.300
5. Be polite with the cop until they leave the parking spot. Once at the station you can prove your point. The cops are better to deal with.

I did not start this thread to show people as to how i had suffered or to show what goes on outside CPK (people staying in kothrud are very well aware of this nuisance). It was just to caution people and make them realize that every time paying up won't help. At some point of time we need to prove ourselves right when we actually are right. It just a matter of clicking a pic and you don't have to pay anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic Police menace - Towing away of vehicles. What are the legal recourses?-photo-4.jpg  

Traffic Police menace - Towing away of vehicles. What are the legal recourses?-photo-5.jpg  

Traffic Police menace - Towing away of vehicles. What are the legal recourses?-photo-6.jpg  

Traffic Police menace - Towing away of vehicles. What are the legal recourses?-photo-7.jpg  

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 16th December 2013 at 11:55.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 12:41   #34
BHPian

re: City Pride, Kothrud (Pune). Parking Harassment

Sorry to hear about your spoiled day but at the same time would like to congratulate you on fighting it out without any influence! People like you would make the real difference to our society.

Though I also agree that there is no need to get dirty by fighting with them as it could be done in a polite way also. And you are right that it is of no use to talk with the guys who actually pick the bike. Cops are the ones with whom you should talk directly.

I had similar experience last year on karve road when I had parked my car perpendicular to the road when it was mentioned on board to park parallel. When I came back to my car I saw a yellow shoe tied to one of the tires and a mobile number written nearby.

I called up the number and there was one "hawaldar" saying that he would come after one hour as it is his lunch time. He was quite rude. I was very polite and said to him that I am with my wife and waiting for one hour in hot sun is not the best thing for me. You won't believe but he said he will have lunch later and came in 10-15 mins and removed the shoe and did not take a single rupee! I told him that I am ready to pay for receipt to which he said "it's okay". But I insisted and paid the amount and took the receipt.

I think when you don't loose your cool with them you have an advantage.

Again, you did a good job! Cheers!
the_skyliner is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 13:07   #35
Senior - BHPian

Asit,

Good compilation of the lessons learnt. I have seen these contract pick up vehicle staff abusing the vehicles when they haul it in the van. The worst part is that they are whole heartedly supported by the cops who ride along with them. A genuine cop would have understood your stance but unfortunately for you the cop himself was the trouble maker.

I hope you must have complained about the cop and the pick up staff to the seniors regarding their rude behaviour. Unless these guys know that they have done wrong, they will continue to do so and another Asit will be a victim to their high handness.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 13:17   #36
Oxy
BHPian

OP, was it a legal parking spot where you parked the bike? Did you atleast get some receipt from a parking attendent?

Atleast at malls in Bangalore, you are supposed to park your vehicles at the basement of the mall, which is the authorised parking.

Why would you park at some place where the vehicle is vulnerable enough to be towed away?
Oxy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 14:16   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Sorry to hear about your spoiled day but at the same time would like to congratulate you on fighting it out without any influence! People like you would make the real difference to our society.

Though I also agree that there is no need to get dirty by fighting with them as it could be done in a polite way also. And you are right that it is of no use to talk with the guys who actually pick the bike. Cops are the ones with whom you should talk directly.

I had similar experience last year on karve road when I had parked my car perpendicular to the road when it was mentioned on board to park parallel. When I came back to my car I saw a yellow shoe tied to one of the tires and a mobile number written nearby.

I called up the number and there was one "hawaldar" saying that he would come after one hour as it is his lunch time. He was quite rude. I was very polite and said to him that I am with my wife and waiting for one hour in hot sun is not the best thing for me. You won't believe but he said he will have lunch later and came in 10-15 mins and removed the shoe and did not take a single rupee! I told him that I am ready to pay for receipt to which he said "it's okay". But I insisted and paid the amount and took the receipt.

I think when you don't loose your cool with them you have an advantage.

Again, you did a good job! Cheers!
Thanks the_skyliner. Good to know about your experience. As you have rightly pointed out that we should directly talk to the cop and most importantly keep our cool. If it wouldn't have had been my uncle i probably would be writing a different story. It is because he kept his cool there, the cop actually listened to us. But when i was polite with him he was very rude which made me loose my cool. Anyway lesson learnt, loose your cool after you get your bike back jk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Asit,

Good compilation of the lessons learnt. I have seen these contract pick up vehicle staff abusing the vehicles when they haul it in the van. The worst part is that they are whole heartedly supported by the cops who ride along with them. A genuine cop would have understood your stance but unfortunately for you the cop himself was the trouble maker.

I hope you must have complained about the cop and the pick up staff to the seniors regarding their rude behaviour. Unless these guys know that they have done wrong, they will continue to do so and another Asit will be a victim to their high handness.
Thanks ghodlur. This happens every day outside city pride kothrud. I have a family function tomorrow, so busy with the preparations. But will be shooting a mail to the pune traffic police regarding this and will also visit the police station by Wednesday. I was worried about the bike being damaged because they handle our bikes like they are playing with toys. They hold the mirrors and pull the bike up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
OP, was it a legal parking spot where you parked the bike? Did you atleast get some receipt from a parking attendent?

Atleast at malls in Bangalore, you are supposed to park your vehicles at the basement of the mall, which is the authorised parking.

Why would you park at some place where the vehicle is vulnerable enough to be towed away?
Hello Oxy,
Yes it was a legal parking spot. The mall did have their parking at the basement, but i was in a hurry so parked it at the public parking outside the mall. As it was a public parking i did not get any receipt nor is there any attendant. All that you have mentioned happens only when you park inside the mall.
Old 16th December 2013, 22:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear that you got your way in the end all without any external influence It can be annoying; such things, but it is true that keeping one's cool usually gets them their way.

Do let us know how the complaint and the visit to the police station goes.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 23:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Yes it was a legal parking spot.
From the photo, it seems to be a sidewalk. Parking bike there leaves no space for pedestrians.

If bike was indeed parked on the sidewalk, it would not have been legal.
Old 16th December 2013, 23:37   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Good to hear that you got your way in the end all without any external influence It can be annoying; such things, but it is true that keeping one's cool usually gets them their way.

Do let us know how the complaint and the visit to the police station goes.
Thanks IshaanIan. Will surely update once i visit the police station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
From the photo, it seems to be a sidewalk. Parking bike there leaves no space for pedestrians.

If bike was indeed parked on the sidewalk, it would not have been legal.
Hello NetfreakBombay,
It might look like a sidewalk but its a public parking place for 2-wheelers. There is a board mentioning about the side of parking varying with dates too. Unfortunately there is an imaginary line which these cops can only see and pic our vehicles up.

EDIT- Found this image on google showing how the parking in general is. The pic shows double parking which isn't allowed. Only one row of 2-wheelers is allowed near the wall on the said date mentioned on the sign board which is on the opposite of the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic Police menace - Towing away of vehicles. What are the legal recourses?-5.jpg  

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 16th December 2013 at 23:46.
Old 17th December 2013, 09:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
It might look like a sidewalk but its a public parking place for 2-wheelers. There is a board mentioning about the side of parking varying with dates too.
Yes, this should be legal in that case. One side would be free for pedestrians.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2017, 11:30   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Traffic Police menace - Towing away of vehicles. What are the legal recourses?

Mumbai:

Before towing vehicle, announce it on megaphone, mandate new rules.

Quote:
The changes are a fallout of the incident in which a vehicle with a woman and an infant was towed away

Joint commissioner (traffic) Amitesh Kumar on Friday issued stringent guidelines on towing of vehicles that spell considerable relief for vehicle owners.

Quote:
Every towing vehicle will now have an officer of the rank of assistant inspector or above. Also, if a vehicle has an occupant, it will not be towed. Every official on the towing vehicle will have e-challan equipment and walkie-talkies. Before towi-ng a vehicle, an announcement will be made on the megaphone. If vehicle is being towed away and if the owner arrives while it is on the way to the towing station, then it should be released. If police personnel are in the process of towing a vehicle and if the owner arrives, then a fine should be recovered, but towing charges should not be imposed on the vehicle owner.
link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 19:55   #43
BHPian

Re: Traffic Police menace - Towing away of vehicles. What are the legal recourses?

Couldn't find a more relevant thread, so posting it here. Another expensive vehicle damaged significantly because of police apathy in Bangalore. If we go by the news article, the police tried to tow the vehicle from a designated parking slot and messed up causing damages that run into 5 figures. The owners claims he had parked it in a designated parking slot but the police claim otherwise. The only silver lining to this episode is that the police have agreed to foot the repair bills, probably realizing that they messed up completely.

This news article leaves me with two thoughts..

1) I take care of my car(s) significantly, I will be really pained to see my car damaged, specially for no fault of mine, no amount of monetary compensation can do away that pain. Only a car enthusiast will understand it
2) Would this even been settled in favor of the victim so easily if it was an average jo, I doubt it...

We pay the highest road tax in Karnataka only to be treated with pathetic roads and even more pathetic police personal :-(

Last edited by SR-71 : 20th November 2018 at 20:01.
SR-71 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks