Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2009, 10:09   #1
BHPian

Attitude of people on smaller vehicles

First Incident:

I was at a medical store buying some medicines. The guy was searching for the medicines while I was waiting at the counter looking at the people walking around, vehicles on the road, the sky etc.
This shop is just about 100 mts behind a traffic signal. Just about 50 mts or so after the signal, there is a left turn.
I saw a wagon R come by with his left indicators on and stopped right in front of the shop as there were other vehicles in the front. The signal turned green and with the left indicators still on, the wagon R guy just started to move. The wagon R had hardly moved a few inches, when all of a sudden from nowhere a guy on his yamaha rx 100 who was not wearing a helmet came and rear ended the wagon R on the left side. Because of the impact, there was a slight dent on the wagon R rear bumper. From the position where the impact happened, it looked like the guy on the bike was intending to over take wagon R from the left side.
The wagon R guy got out and was giving a piece of his mind to this guy on the bike. Some passing by folks joined the drama, so did some auto drivers.
Wagon R guy insisted that they go to police to sort this out as it was reaching no where, then came out the thing that this guy on the bike did not even have a LL or DL or any documents for the bike.
Not even one guy was speaking for the wagon R guy for no fault of his, but instead an auto driver said to the wagon R guy, "let him go sir, he is a poor chap. He doesn't have any money". You have bought this car and its only a small dent you can get it repaired. Similar views were expressed by some others too.
Finally the wagon R guy did not budge at all and some how from no where the biker took out some 250 Rs which the car guy took and let the guy go.
Just because someone is riding a smaller vehicle and he is poor, does it give him the right to do whatever he wants on the road and get away with it?

Second Incident:

This happened with me on this sunday. I was trying to get into the Gopalan Mall on Mysore Road in the afternoon around 12:30 PM or so.
Just before me a guy on his (may be early 20s) tvs moped went in and he was on the extreme left talking to the security guard or someone.
As I took the left turn to enter inside and went a bit ahead, this guy on the moped out of the blue without looking just started his moped turned right and I just slammed my brakes hard and my car stopped just not making any impact with him.
I just yelled at him in kannada that where was he looking while turning and also called him a pig and a couple of bad words in kannada. I know its my fault a bit too that I lost my cool and yelled him a few bad words.
Instead of being apologetic about the thing, he had the nerve to yell back at me saying "nothing has happened to your car right. why are you shouting? Just mind your business and go".
I just got out of my car and gave him a piece of my mind to that guy. Had he said one more word, I would have punched him right in his face. Somehow I controlled my rage.
Even the security and the others who had gathered around there were expressing similar views as him saying that you go sir anyway nothing has happened right. He is a poor guy, a young kid etc.

whats with the thing about being poor and/or riding a smaller vehicle and still not owning the mistake committed by such people?
Old 4th May 2009, 11:10   #2
Team-BHP Support

Its more to do with how the unwritten rule of the road goes in India, i.e. 'The bigger vehicle is always at fault'.

Between a cyclist and a scooter, the cyclist still enjoys this privilege.
Old 4th May 2009, 11:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

I got hit when a loaded goods auto couldn't move ahead in a slope and hit my car behind the Gopalan mall! There was a lot of space in between but he couldn't move up. There is a slight dent at the end of the bonnet.
I get down, he is apologetic, says sorry and is willing to talk about it. I did not know what to do. Just told him to be careful and let him go. What do you do when some poor guy does this. You don't feel like demanding money or going to the police.

On the other hand, there were a couple of people as usual who start saying nothing has happened. I enjoy blasting these guys and ask if they are going to pay.

Last edited by srishiva : 4th May 2009 at 11:19.
Old 4th May 2009, 11:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

the bigger car you have the more money you have to take care of your vehicle and you should be unforigiving for crimes committed by others.

Drive with this perception and there will be peace or else, each day or the other you will lose your temper on some of these morons.
Old 4th May 2009, 12:14   #5
BHPian

True. It appears that the car owners have the bear the brunt irrespective of whose fault it is. I face problems with the pesky autowalahs here all the time. Last time, in City Market area, at the busy traffic junction, I am not able to move ahead because of people flocking the street to crossover inspite of greenlight, and the autofellow behind me in his urge to go move ahead rear ends me & argues that I reversed/moved backwards & hence it hit his auto (on that flat road) & started talking rubbish. The moment I stopped the car & got out at the junction, he just went numb (because of my built probably). I wanted to trash his face but the traffic was getting restless. The guy thought he can get away by commenting anything he likes!

The sad part is the traffic police dont want to interfere unless you call them in. Even upon coming, they advise you to let them go and why get into problems. This is the sad state of our country.

Some day soon, I would be trashing these auto or two wheeler driver/riders for their abusiveness & arrogance inspite of their mistakes.

I always dream of having a big monster truck which can run over them legally for their wrongdoings. The truck to have spike around which can be ejected out when they come close & just rip apart their tyre & body shell so that they learn a lesson not to sneak inbetween vehicles like how they do now. (my road rage speaking)

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th May 2009 at 19:27. Reason: Please use decent language on Team-BHP. No exceptions.
Old 4th May 2009, 12:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

coolfyre, you need to be cool here my friend

I have had so many instances of educated looking freaks banging from behind and when asked they hardly bother to reply forget apologising...

Once a guy in getz almost went over my toe and before i questioned he pushed ff and when i caught him at the next signal are man dint even want to look at me...again forget apologizing..
Old 4th May 2009, 12:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Coolfyre,

a. that is how life is in India - can't do much about it.
b. Your moped incident - you definitely overstepped the line. People even in cars - big cars make mistakes - asking him to be careful is fine, calling him a pig maybe okay in the heat of the moment, but to expect him not to respond back is being unreasonable.

Like Kabir said, maybe you need to examine your attitude as well.
Old 4th May 2009, 12:48   #8
BHPian

What do you expect from a nation thats grown up on 'evil rich man' vs 'good poor man' movies?
However, the gap between the rich and the poor has widened so much in recent times that frustrations are becoming evident. Perhaps the guy on the 50cc moped feels insulted that the guy in the car whose watch is costlier than a decent moped is berating him for a minor dent.
I have seen plenty of rich people in big cars acting loutish on the streets too. Perhaps its time for everybody to examine their attitudes.
I, perhaps, should not be sermonizing because I am aware that my attitude needs some adjusting too.
Old 4th May 2009, 12:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Its more to do with how the unwritten rule of the road goes in India, i.e. 'The bigger vehicle is always at fault'.

The only case that is excused is that between a pedestrian and a cyclist.
Old 4th May 2009, 15:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

so let me get this straight, I have stopped at a red signal and a biker comes and rear ends me, falls, breaks his neck . It's going to be my fault?

srishiva
The people who usually meddle around are usually the jobs thugs.

The cops are pretty much useless, the only time I see them active and stoping cars and bikes is when they need to check for drunk driving.
The cops complain about free flows but dont even want to touch or stop an auto guy? Anyone seen the ammount of sound an auto in Bangalore makes? All the auto exhausts are modified.
Old 4th May 2009, 15:51   #11
BHPian

Can't do much about it!! My car was hit by a bicycle and surprisingly both of us were at a good speed but nothing happened to the guy, the bumper of my car was badly scratched and this guy just kept riding his bicycle as if nothing happened. He just zoomed off and was gone within no time. Poor me!! got down, took a good look at my car and felt so helpless.
Old 4th May 2009, 16:05   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
so let me get this straight, I have stopped at a red signal and a biker comes and rear ends me, falls, breaks his neck . It's going to be my fault?
Logically speaking, you arent at fault. But logic has vowed never to interfere in the traffic affairs in our country, and so you are faced with a situation where the biker would claim that he was waiting behind you at the signal, and it was you who reversed into him. Tough luck then, since you would need to pay for his hospitalization expenses as well.

Quote:
The cops complain about free flows but dont even want to touch or stop an auto guy? Anyone seen the ammount of sound an auto in Bangalore makes? All the auto exhausts are modified.
The cops would only speak in favour of the 'aam aadmi' of which you arent a part of. As for the auto fellas, they are the blessed lot, i would say. They enjoy NFS on the streets, and also get paid for their mistakes. What more could you ask for?
Old 4th May 2009, 16:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Coolfyre,

a. that is how life is in India - can't do much about it.
b. Your moped incident - you definitely overstepped the line. People even in cars - big cars make mistakes - asking him to be careful is fine, calling him a pig maybe okay in the heat of the moment, but to expect him not to respond back is being unreasonable.

Like Kabir said, maybe you need to examine your attitude as well.
Sorry I disagree with you here. I did not over step the line here. If I had then I would have punched the guy's face which I did not.

In the heat of the moment I abused him which I accept is my fault, but inspite of his fault he should have just apologised or kept quiet, I would have just moved on.
What irritated me the most was that he does a mistake and then he has the audacity to tell me that nothing has happened and to mind my own business and move on??? Please!!!
Old 4th May 2009, 17:29   #14
BHPian

Quote:
The cops are pretty much useless, the only time I see them active and stoping cars and bikes is when they need to check for drunk driving.
I kind of agree with you on this point. Cops will never get themselves involved. I remember once I was stuck in a jam and all the cars were standstill and the next thing I know, a truck came and rammed into my car's left fender. I was furious and it led to an heated argument. In the mean time, a 'Pandu' came by and was nicely enjoying the show. Instead of interfering, that guy chose to be a spectator.

I really don't understand what are these RTO guys for? All they do is guide traffic around, make money on traffic signals. No offence ment but according to me, the RTO is the most useless law enforcing agency.
Old 4th May 2009, 21:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

If the person is apologetic and accepts his mistake,you have an urge to let the guy go without being harsh on him/her. But if they mess around and try to turn tables, then they need to be taught a lesson.
And what bothers me the most are the useless characters who jump in and try to act like pacifiers, trying to support the biker. First thing to do is ask those characters to take a hike!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks