Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2005, 14:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Ajmat !!!!!!

Reports and pics !! fast before you are banned !!

maan - looking at the life you living rite now- i wouldnt mind fast forwarding 15 years of my age !
Old 11th June 2005, 15:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Holy..........damn!!! WHat? When? WHere? How?
Old 11th June 2005, 17:42   #18
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
- was a humble spyder -
Saint Sinner huh!!

How many days you took to regain your senses?
I would be off for atleast 3 days!!
Old 11th June 2005, 18:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

dude ...this is torture!!

why is he getting all goooodiess ????

gawshhh ... did u drive the subaru aswell ?
Old 11th June 2005, 21:00   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover

why is he getting all goooodiess ????

g

Simple

1: Love for cars
2: Understanding wife
3: Taught by my dad to dave and invest
4: Just do it attitude!!!!
5: Sheer frustration of driving in Bangalore
6: Egged on by the old man
Old 11th June 2005, 21:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Simple

1: Love for cars
2: Understanding wife
3: Taught by my dad to dave and invest
4: Just do it attitude!!!!
5: Sheer frustration of driving in Bangalore
6: Egged on by the old man

i am satisfying everything on the list ..but the Wifey bit (understanding type) ... dahhum !

neways bro.. enjoy those beauties .looking forward to your detailed report with illustrations ...

cheers
Old 11th June 2005, 22:15   #22
BHPian

Aaaaaaaah!!!!

Theres a saying that goes like this....." Someone, Somewhere out there is living your dream!"
what i am practising right now is tracking that someone[Quite obviously you!!] and stealing their identity[Very obviously yours!!] naaaaaaah just kidding.........Although just like everyone here im jealous too!!!!!

Last edited by Edmund : 11th June 2005 at 22:18. Reason: left out some info.......
Old 13th June 2005, 13:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

ajmat, U're actually inspiring me.

Guys, pls dont ban him.

(ajmat, u owe me one).
Old 16th June 2005, 17:06   #24
Team-BHP Support

On Track with the Ferraris

Booked this via the net after doing a lot of research. Ideally, I would have gone to Thruxton to drive the Porsche 911 turbo and Lambo but the dates were not in line with my travel plans. I was almost tempted to drive an M3 for 30 min around a circuit for 180 pounds. Sounded a lot but would have been worth it. Alas, I turned that down as I could only do it the day I before I was leaving. (and being a sat morning, I was suffering from a massive hangover after drinking too much wine with two young ladies – don’t worry – my wife knows all about it).

The other aspect was that all these places are 2 hours out of London so it is worth it if I am gainfully occupied for the day. This course could be coupled with the Rally course so this was the only course available which met the criteria – yeah ,yeah – I’ve driven the Ferrari before but having been put through a high speed course – I would drive with anger, not awe !!!!

The Prestwold Circuit is an old airfield situated in the grounds of a big country hall located in the East Midlands. This meant waking the Mercedes up at 6.30 to get there for 9.00am.

Circuit has two parts – the rally centre as you enter and the main circuit which you need to drive a mile to get there. Parked the car and registered myself. We then had to don a suit on – (mainly to identify the customers!!!)

Agenda was as follows:

Safety Briefing
Photo with car
Track orientation in a Ford Focus RS

Ferrari 360
Ferrari 328

Autotest
4 wheel drive
High speed drive in the Impreza

We were split into different teams to do different activities after the briefing.

Safety briefing was held along with people who were there to drive the MINI (they get to drive a bus and an e-type also).

The briefing covered the history of the school, the track , the cars. They were quite detailed o nthe pedals of the Ferrari- these are meant for people with small feet. They lost a 355 a month ago as the persons shoe lace got caught in the throttle, car went off track into the wet grass and spun into a wall and wrecked every panel except the roof. Remember that the cars are not insured on track and…..ouch.

They went onto explain the cornering techniques (not as much detail as in my previous course) and the instruction boards on the track. Before each corner, there are two braking boards before the turn board. We had the option of paying extra for three more laps in the 360 or the Porsche but the 911 had not arrived as it was getting new brake pads. Other issue was that you need to complete this before the high speed Impreza ride in case you got funny ideas – he can, I can !!!

We were then handed over to a team leader who would see that we get into the right cars etc. We first posed with a blue spider for the photo.

Our group was first made to do the autotest. Using an old VW golf GTI racer, we had to slalom and corner while keeping that football in the dish. One of us had to partner and pick up the football or replace the cones. Each driver was given two rounds – one as a practice and one timed.

Meanwhile, on the circuit, the tubi’s were bellowing !!!!!

Sounds easy ? The car has a fierce clutch and no power steering – I managed to keep the ball in but in the slalom, overshot a cone so had to reverse so lost 10 sec to come second. Key trick is to be smooth.

]

We then went for the track orientation. 3 of us piled into a Focus and were shown the lines and braking points and then we were given a couple of high speed demo’s…and then the real thing…

I had hoped to do the 328 first but no, was given the 360 first. Got it and suddenly a roar – my large feet had landed on the throttle by mistake. Team leader ensured the seat was okay and oriented me with the pedals – told me to move my leg rather than flip my foot.

The instructor introduced himself and just told me to take it easy on the first lap and listen. Engaged clutch and let the engine bite – phwooooooar, slowly through the bits and then he said go fast – it took off in a seamless Vtec like fashion. The gears were easy. Told to brake on the second board and then I took off around the first right hand 90 deg corner, I was determined to max this car. Attacked the second left had 90 degree corner and then a long straight to a 60 degree right and then a chicane. Messed up the chicane a little as I went in too fast…….and then the second lap - …floor it… he bellowed and the car bellowed back – I saw 6000 rpm, was scary until I braked, the car did so and cornered …no drama. I must have hit 120mph on the straights and cornered around 50 mph - the car shields you from the G forces – the noise of the Tubi’s are to die for – why would anyone listen to the ketchup song in a Ferrari !!!! The third lap was even better, returned and the instructor commended me on an excellent smooth drive.– I told him that you need not please me but he said no, I really mean it. The car was awesome – felt like a fencing foil

And then into the 328 – back to mother nature – no power steering, no abs and no space. I had to really shove myself in. The handbrake was fiddly so kept down. As I got in, car kept rolling. Gears were stiffer and different. Dogleg first and second is where first gear is etc.

Took off , car sounded more like a high powered Fiat after the 360. It held on well but was a heavier car to drive. I messed up on the gears at times, I somehow did not take to it unlike the 360 – you could feel its limits a little earlier. Another problem ws that the cockpit is pretty cramped so my movements were constrained…….and then it was over.

No sign of the Porsche – was pushed into the Impreza and the driver took off, 100 mph then braked down to 60 mph and drifted through the corner. That car really held well and had the Ferraris for breakfast (they were driven by rookies like me). I was impressed.

We then were given an old Discovery to take on a rutted track. This car was totally worn out 150000 miles. Put it into first and into a track as deep as my knees and it kept on going, up a bank, down an incline – mind you, you approach these in a slow paced manner but it took whatever came.

And it ended – my morning went too quickly. I would have given up the autotest and the Discovery for another lap in the 360. As I left, the Porsche appeared – my heart sank.

Verdict – Enjoyable but went too fast. Thruxton may cost a little more you have more hands on time with the cars - 4 driven 15 laps of driving as opposed to 7 laps driving + the autotest etc + 6 laps of being driven. Focus here is on putting as many people through. Again, my time constraints were the issue. I enjoyed myself – I was really please that the skills that I learnt from the previous week were put to good use.

Rtech - don't ban me yet - still got to do the rally stuff!!!!

Last edited by ported_head : 17th June 2005 at 16:10.
Old 16th June 2005, 17:31   #25
Team-BHP Support

Great report (as usual?) Ajmat! You just bought yourself a few days to get the rally report in!

BTW, I don't think you mentioned the name of this programme or its website. I'm sure there are a bunch of eager people here waiting for those details.
Old 16th June 2005, 18:18   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Great report (as usual?) Ajmat! You just bought yourself a few days to get the rally report in!

BTW, I don't think you mentioned the name of this programme or its website. .
whoops - sorry

www.everymanracing.co.uk, Iwent for the Ferrari/ rally silver combo

Here's my Ferrari assessment

BTW, if you ban me - you'll miss out on future junkets !
Old 17th June 2005, 15:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Ajmat, I'm with u to protest bans.

Hope to follow your path oneday!
Old 17th June 2005, 16:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Nice report Ajmat! Boy u really did have a lot of fun! nice snaps. BTW, the Ferrari report card looks impressive!
Old 18th June 2005, 18:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

hey dude
great write up man and nice pics.looks like you had a great time !!

rev
Old 20th June 2005, 08:44   #30
Team-BHP Support

Based on some PM queries that I got

1: You need to have an international licence to do all these things
2: I would recommend www.thruxtonracing.co.uk over Everyman as you get more time on the track. I felt the rally part was vfm. It all depends on when you are in the UK and what is running

Last edited by ajmat : 20th June 2005 at 08:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks