Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2009, 10:30   #1
BHPian

Banerghatta Road in a big MESS !!

Over the past few days Banerghatta Rd in bangalore seems to be in a big mess and looks like things are going from bad to worse. This morning it took me more than an hour to travel a stretch of 6KM .

Last week just after Apollo hospital ( while travelling towards Jayadeva flyover ) the main road was dug up by BSNL. This happened last week. The irony is after they dug up happened the authorities have completely stopped work and there is nothing going on at this place and i am really not sure for how many more days it is going to be like that before the work resumes. This has in turn created a big mess in the surrounding areas and now all vehicles ( including the Volvo buses) need to divert from the main road and now need take some narrow road creating traffic jams which just seem to be never ending.

This morning just before Jal Bhavan there was a barricade kept by the police and all commuters were again asked to divert ......( Read : Another 25-30mts wasted ) I really do not know what these authorities are doing out here..there seems to be no planning, understanding or coordination. All i can say is that frustration levels of people are going up and patience is running out.....I Just had another bad day and felt like sharing with fellow bhpian's !!
Old 4th June 2009, 10:37   #2

I heard it on Radiocity, that a sumo had stuck in the pit BSNL dug up and they were trying to remove it for 2 hrs and hence traffic police had blocked the whole road.
Old 4th June 2009, 10:47   #3
BHPian

saw the news in tv today morning. it seems some sumo fell into a large pit which was formed when some cement slab got damaged or something.

fortunately im not using that side on BG road but was badly affected by the Apollo hospital block last week. took around 2 hrs to cross 4 kms
Old 4th June 2009, 11:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good you started this thread.
I get off Bannerghatta Road even before Wockhardt. I take the Adigas turn and then rejoin Bannerghatta road just before Jayadeva flyover.
Today indeed was a big mess, mainly because there were 2 buses trying to take a small turn at the same time, and people behind them blocking the entire road.

Couple of days back, they were repairing IRR between Sony World junction adn Ejjipura. I got stuck there in the morning AND evening because when i was returning, they had also switched sides for repairing!! I dont know why that road needed repairs anyway. All this has done is increase the road level further, thus making it easier for people to jump the divider.
Old 4th June 2009, 11:26   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Bannerghatta Road is amongst the worst roads to get blocked since there are no usable parallel roads at all. I pity you folks living that side when this road snafu is underway.
Old 4th June 2009, 11:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Last week just after Apollo hospital ( while travelling towards Jayadeva flyover ) the main road was dug up by BSNL. This happened last week. The irony is after they dug up happened the authorities have completely stopped work and there is nothing going on at this place and i am really not sure for how many more days it is going to be like that before the work resumes. This has in turn created a big mess in the surrounding areas and now all vehicles ( including the Volvo buses) need to divert from the main road and now need take some narrow road creating traffic jams which just seem to be never ending.
This deviation started last Wednesday (May 27). But, are you sure its dug up by BSNL? I heard it is the BBMP and the entire fiasco is to link two storm water drains at Bilekahalli. I'm in Kerala since then, so could not check up the latest status.

On Wednesday (the first day of diversion) it took close to 30 minutes to reach Jayadeva from Arakere Gate (I was in a bus).
Old 4th June 2009, 11:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

There are a couple of things that the traffic police is doing to ease the situation though:
1. Trucks are not allowed to go down this road. They are forced to take diversion just after Hulimavu.
2. Buses take diversion at Adigas.

This insures that they all dont end up at the same spot, causing further grief.

So, although situation is bad, it could have been much worse.
Old 4th June 2009, 11:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Man tell me about it. It took me close to 2 hours to get from BTM to MG Road , and the number of diversions seemed never ending. There is absolutely no coordination amongst the authorities, and it was utter chaos and nothing else. Mad jams, endless waits at non-functioning signals, no policemen where they were required and no signs to indicate the diversions anywhere!!!

MADNESS!
Old 4th June 2009, 11:59   #9
BHPian

Well Guys, My apartment is right behing the apollo hospital. I just start fresh in the car and take about 30-45 mins to reach Delmia circle and carry on for another 1hr to 1.5 hrs to whitefield.

They are doing some maintenance work on some RAJA Canal (God knows what it is) in Bilekahalli to fix the water blocking issue during rains in that stretch. Thats the reason why the traffic is diverted from the inside to make all our days worst possible.
Old 4th June 2009, 12:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Bannerghatta road continues to make headlines. I remember when Jayadeva flyover was being built, it took around 2.5 yrs, they were way off the track for timelines, so they developed one way, for the traffic to open up. Now with several companies on this side the traffic condition is sure to go worse. While coming from Dairy circle, after Jalbhavan there is a right turn, which goes to East End Main Road, why didnt they allow to use that road.
Old 4th June 2009, 12:05   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
jango : This morning it took me more than an hour to travel a stretch of 6KM .
Lucky you ! I missed quite a few of these line-ups, and the took about 35 min to do 1 km of Thavarekere main road.

True, no parallel roads / work-arounds in that area.

And that IRR-Sony junction line-up was typical of BBMP : get them to work during peak hours .. whether it is re-surfacing, or the daily sweeping.
Old 4th June 2009, 12:12   #12
BHPian

I take my scooty to office these days so no problems for me. I am able to easily reach my office within 10min (Apollo -> Sagar apollo).

OT : @Shreyasma - I have seen your saaki many times and even i stay behind apollo hospital.

Old 4th June 2009, 12:14   #13
BANNED

I used to drive my Maruti 800 from Mico Bosch on Hosur road to J.P. Nagar 1st phase in 20 minutes flat. I used to be very frustrated when it took 30mins because of rain. This was in 1996. This situation certainly means I would be swearing a lot on the road.
Old 4th June 2009, 12:40   #14
Team-BHP Support

Last time I drove on this road it was around 7 years ago. Glad to see some things can never change Unfortunately cannot say the same about greenery of BLR!
Old 4th June 2009, 12:55   #15
BHPian

Bangalore is still green as compared to NCR.

I spent three years staying near BG road. Thank God I am now shifted to north of Hebbal. I remember a SMS poll organized by some news channel around 3.5 yrs back for worst roads in Indian metro Cities, and BG road came first

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks