Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should Jaywalking be considered a traffic offence ?
Yes it a offence but not a serious offence 22 36.67%
Yes it is a serious offence 30 50.00%
No it is not a offence at all 7 11.67%
Not sure 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 13:28   #16
BHPian

In my opinion, its a crime. The reckless pedestrian is not only putting his life in danger, but also others, for which he/ she needs to be held guilty and is punishable.

Having said this, we still have a long way to go in order to improve the road conditions for pedestrians.

For example, there is a foot over bridge on old Airport Road near Leela Palace/ Intel. The median is barricaded, but still I see many people cross the road, when there is no signal on this stretch of the road.

In such situations, I will hold both the pedestrian and police guilty for not implementing the rules effectively.
Old 28th July 2009, 13:30   #17

IMO, the day vehicles are fined for not stopping at pedestrian (zebra) crossings, fines for jaywalking should come into effect.
Old 28th July 2009, 13:35   #18
BHPian

AFAIK, there was a strong drive against jaywalking in Mumbai a few years ago. However, these days the focus is on other offences- like drunk driving.

And I agree with the posts here- no matter what you do, people here are going to go back to their jaywalking sooner rather than later, no matter how much you educate them.

IMHO, I think the problem has arisen because the government never really made any REAL footpaths anywhere. So people are used to walk on the road. And now when nice broad footpaths are made, there are hawkers, encroachers, shady characters etc who occupy them.

Sad, but true.

I HATE jaywalkers, but do motorists really have an option other than cursing them under one's breath while driving? And hoping and praying that we don't knock down anyone?
Old 28th July 2009, 15:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
I was always under the impression that we should always walk on the right side of the road as it would be easy to guage the car coming towards you (on the left side).
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I'm not sure even if we have infrasturcture, jaywalking will stop. Take a look at the Mumbai train stations. We have skywalks/overbridges but still people jump on to the tracks to reach the other platform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Education is the key, People should realise its their own life's and others at stake when the show negligence in crossing roads.

In India we have rules and regulations for everything, but do people follow these rules, or are rules implemented strictly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
Inspite of education the public on traffic signs and lane discipline, nothing seems to happen. So what are talking about Jay walking, even if we educate the public, you think it will ever get into their head! Never.
Proper infrastructure, education, and enforcement go hand in hand. "saamam, bhedam, dandam" - the three hierarchical steps to enforce rules, as the elders say. All are required simultaneously.
Old 28th July 2009, 16:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Many a times I have asked public to use the footpaths to walk and decongest the roads. They all has one answer. There are shops extended on the pavements, the odd paanwaalas and kachori thelaas and miscreants around them. We got to go a long long way. But we will inshaAllah!
Old 28th July 2009, 16:08   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
They all has one answer. There are shops extended on the pavements, the odd paanwaalas and kachori thelaas and miscreants around them.
What nonsense. When motorcycles have no problem riding on pavements () why can't pedestrians walk on them.

Quote:

We got to go a long long way. But we will inshaAllah!
Ameen.
Old 28th July 2009, 16:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

If they crack down we may all be serving time!!

They should start with national highways (may be the GQ first). Also, on vehicles going the wrong way.
Old 28th July 2009, 16:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

How can that be offense in a city such as Bangalore where concept of zebra crossing and pedestrian signals does not exist. Except may be in a 2 square kilometer area around MG road.

A case in point is Flyover on HAL airport road with no provision for to cross on foot

And Inner ring road where lots of office complexes are located but no crossover bridge / underpass for pedestrians , On whole HAL airport road there is a single crossover bridge near to Lila Palace hotel ( occupants of 400$ a day room do deserve this privilege of not being run over) and on inner ring road only place is near to Indiranagar.

PS : Even in city like Mumbai where underpasses are constructed at a few locations they are currently serve as den for antisocial elements , Public urinals and garbage dumps or simply as market peddling smuggled goods where shops are allocated to keep them clean. People have no option but to walk on the steet.

Last edited by amitk26 : 28th July 2009 at 16:26.
Old 28th July 2009, 16:31   #24
BHPian

There are numerous foot over bridges (several are brand spanking new) along the Eastern Express Highway connecting the Thane suburb to Central Mumbai. These have been primarily erected to allow pedestrians from the settlements along either side of the highway access to bus-stops on the other side of the road. The dividers separating the lanes are porous, not high enough and easily breached by vehicle and human alike. People rarely use the foot over bridges for the intended purpose. Instead it serves as a shelter for the homeless, for bikers to stop and wear their rain-wear when it pours(myself included sometimes), for auto's to hang about without purpose, for stray animals to raise their offspring, for those looking for alms etc.

Even with the provision to safely cross the highway, people would rather put lives at stake. What I cannot digest is they are putting my life at stake when I drive/ride on this highway. It cannot go unpunished, it is a criminal waste of the state's money, and a grotesque reflection of our lazy, careless personalities. I do not condone such criminally careless tendencies, but am powerless to correct it.

Cheers,
Old 28th July 2009, 16:46   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

In a place like India where population is booming and space per person is reducing dramatically, I dont mind a jaywalker on a busy main road at all.

The reason for them walking on a busy road could be many, no room on footpath, footpath being used by motorbikes or he just loves walking on the main road. Besides, as good drivers we are supposed to use our inherent reflexes to avoid hitting him.

Jaywalkers that I dont like are the people who look at the opposite side of a one-way street. I just marvel at their risk taking ability and do my best to avoid hitting him and say a silent prayer that he reaches home safely.
Old 28th July 2009, 17:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I dont mind a jaywalker on a busy main road at all.

The reason for them walking on a busy road could be many, no room on footpath, footpath being used by motorbikes or he just loves walking on the main road. Besides, as good drivers we are supposed to use our inherent reflexes to avoid hitting him.
Oh! This could be dangerous as well. I have faced situations where there is a big bus in front of me. I overtake the bus only to find a man standing right in front of me, who just managed to clear the bus. If I am doing good speed then either he or me is maimed for life.

On second thought I feel sorry for people in areas like Dairy circle, Christ College where people have to risk their lives to cross. There is simply no respite as far as incessant traffic is concerned.
Old 28th July 2009, 17:51   #27
DKG
Senior - BHPian

We should introduce a fine. I recommend a Rs 50 fine
Old 28th July 2009, 18:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
We should introduce a fine. I recommend a Rs 50 fine
Am sure that people might pay Rs. 50 or something and get away with it. However, I feel that we should try and borrow something from the US and other developed countries - community services. How about the jay walkers clean the streets, foot paths, or something like that. The point is not to humiliate them, but to make them aware that breaking rules is not cool any more and that it is very important to follow rules.

I would like to extend this to all road offenses as well.
Old 28th July 2009, 18:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

But who would catch them and where?
We have Police most of the times at signals. So they can catch a signal jumper/offender there. Jaywalkers are everywhere. We can't have police on every street.
Old 28th July 2009, 18:57   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But who would catch them and where?
We have Police most of the times at signals. So they can catch a signal jumper/offender there. Jaywalkers are everywhere. We can't have police on every street.
It's a known fact we dont have enough traffic policemen to control the traffic related problems and add to their overflowing responsbility the task of fining jaywalkers ( with video/picture as evidence or catch them red-handed?)

I am sure we are going in the right direction.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks