Team-BHP > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Should Jaywalking be considered a traffic offence ?
Yes it a offence but not a serious offence 22 36.67%
Yes it is a serious offence 30 50.00%
No it is not a offence at all 7 11.67%
Not sure 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2009, 15:12   #61
BHPian

And to add up on this look at the news which came in newspapers couple of days before

-------
Car owner liable to pay even if pedestrian is negligent

Mumbai: In a significant judgement, the Bombay High Court has held that in case of an accident even if a pedestrian is negligent while crossing road, the driver of the vehicle is liable to pay the compensation to him or his family members.

The mere fact that the pedestrian had not used the Zebra crossing cannot absolve the driver of the car from payment of compensation, ruled Justice Nishita Mhatre recently.

--------
Car owner liable to pay even if pedestrian is negligent

Talk of fair justice here.

--- Vikrant
Old 1st October 2009, 15:26   #62
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Until such time as our pedestrians have proper, safe, clean and decent pavements to walk on, there is absolutely NO WAY Jaywalking can be dealt with as an offence.

For anyone who disagrees with this, just hop out of your car or off your bike one day and try to walk along a pavement in an Indian city like Bangalore for a distance of a kilometre or more and then see how you feel.
Old 1st October 2009, 16:12   #63
BHPian

I'm starting to notice a new attitude among jaywalkers especially in chennai. Happened to me on many instances. When they cross the road, they try to look away from the direction of the oncoming vehicle. This somehow makes the driver of the vehicle more responsible and is forced to slowdown. Such careless attitude should be strictly condemned.

Yes i do agree that there is a need for more zebra crossings, pathways and overbridges. But how do we justify people crossing the road just under the overbridges? (read OMR, chennai) It take close to 10 lakh to construct an overbridge across a 6 lane road and i see many of them deserted all times.
Old 5th October 2009, 12:12   #64
BHPian

In Indian conditions, it is too difficult to generalise such issues. We have numerous places even in the prime areas of metros where no proper infrastructure is available and pedestrians are left with no options.

BUT there are many ocassions where people do not wait till the signal turns red, or people trying to cross road where ever they want to, even if the zebra crossing is just meters away. This lands the motorist in very akward situatiins at times but you can not even reason with these people.

We had started 'Drive from left - walk from right' campaign in our home town after my family doctor lost his life when a drunk army jawan on his bullet hit him. He was having a walk after dinner, he was on the extreme left of the road when a drunk bullet rider hit him from behind launching him 3 to 4 meters high in the air. He could have been alive if he was walking on the right side of the road, in which case the vehicle, even with the fault of the rider would have approached from the front giving him time to see it and move out of the way. After that incident, we (my family and group of friends) would try to have a conversation with the people who walk/cross dangerously, trying to educate him.

BUT then one day i met with a very funny experience. On the Jogeshwai-Vikhroli link road (in Mumbai, for those who do not know ), at around 9 PM, a middle aged man was crossing the road, some 20-25 feet before the signal with signal still green. He was wearing dark cloths and was barely visible. I braked hard to avoid him, surrprisingly even that man was shocked/confused, he did not know how to react seeing the car coming at him and stopped in the middle of road. I lowered the window and politely told him that he was barely visible with his dark cloths and it is very dangerous to croos the road like this. And this man, schocked and may be insulted with his stupid adventure, started yelling at me, soon few more people gathered, most of them thought that i was about to run over that guy and thats why he is shouting at me! There was no point trying to explain anything to them and i had to actually flee the location

Some people improve by education, some improve after seeing a tragic incident, some improve after meeting a tragic incident themselves.... but.. MOST of them never improve!
Old 23rd November 2009, 18:33   #65
BHPian

Yes jaywalking is indeed a serious offense! According to law if attempt to suicide is a crime, in IMHO jaywalkers should be booked under the same. In fact it becomes even more serious as they not only endanger their own lives but lives / property of motorists.

How many times have we heard of people losing their own lives trying to save a pedestrian who came on the road from nowhere.
Old 29th November 2009, 22:46   #66
1001bhp

Forgive me for my extreme emotions but i feel jay walkers should be sent to life imprisonment or even hanged.especially in kerala the way guys just cross the road makes my blood boil.they will cross the road as slowly as possible and if we horn give us a threatening stare.and in some cases some guys standing in the middle of the road will just refuse to move even if he sees the vehicle coming.we have to avoid him and go.But then i say to myself "Welcome to india"

Old 23rd December 2009, 23:53   #67
Senior - BHPian

It's not that they simply stop at jaywalking. many a time you'll see jaywalkers having the impunity to hold their hand up as if to signal "stop" !! These guys don't realize how much danger they're putting themselves (and us) in !
Old 24th December 2009, 10:29   #68
Senior - BHPian

Jaywalkers are pure sadists. They put genuine road crossers to shame!
They know people are not going to get down and fight.

I'm not sure if people here are going to like this incident which happened to us
when we were on our way to Alibaug some 13 years back.
We were travelling in our PAL FIAT. Parents and Me and our aquaintances, husband and wife.
When we neared Alibaug we saw a person standing right in the middle of the road. I mean bang in the middle. He was so so sure that no one would run over him. He had his hands on his hips and looking in both directions.
My father was driving and he asked Uncle who was sitting at the back to look at the comic. Uncle asked my dad to slow, we all thought that he would ask the comic to get off the road. When we neared the man, uncle lowered his window and slapped him while the vehicle was moving. I was stunned and looked behind. That man was looking at our car but did not move another inch.
So neither death nor slappings, nor education helps. God know what will.
Whatever that 'Uncle' did was not right and I do not take responsibilty for his actions.
Old 24th December 2009, 10:38   #69
Senior - BHPian

Whether there is Zebra crossing or overbridge, still there are many who likes to cross the road wherever they want and as they feel. The way they walk, you will feel that the road meant for them only. The worst is that some people come half way and then return back when they see a oncoming vehicle -this is more dangerous. No way we can educate these kind of people, unless they change on their own. The eventual risk is on the vehicle drivers?
Old 24th December 2009, 10:55   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
The worst is that some people come half way and then return back when they see a oncoming vehicle -this is more dangerous.
This reminds me of another incident.
Time: 7:45 - 8AM ish.
Vehicle: TATA Motors Company bus.
Narrator: My Father.

The bus was on schedule and at Yerwada (Pune).
A female with a can of water wants to cross the road to
answer the call of nature. She starts to cross the road.
The driver sees this from a good distance and prepares himself
and the vehicle to take a slight right so that she can cross safely
and the vehicle doesn't have to stop.
When in the middle of the road the female decides to
go back to the divider from where she started .

The driver absolutely has no time to react to this and
pulls the steering to the left with a very harsh and fast action.

Result: The bus lands on its right side. Few minor injuries to the passengers inside and a woman fainted on the road.

I don't know what else to say.

As long as we have roads running close to houses and 'bastees' people are going to cross regardless of zebra crossings or pedestrian signals.
Old 15th January 2010, 08:55   #71
Senior - BHPian

In my opinon, jaywalking is careless walking. I'm very confident that if someone has patience to wait to cross the road, they can walk across safely. The merriam-webster dictionary defines jaywalking as per the URL below

jaywalk - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by grules View Post
I'm starting to notice a new attitude among jaywalkers especially in chennai. Happened to me on many instances. When they cross the road, they try to look away from the direction of the oncoming vehicle. This somehow makes the driver of the vehicle more responsible and is forced to slowdown. Such careless attitude should be strictly condemned.
Very much true. It was much different earlier, they would try to make an eye contact & wave the hand (as if they were traffic constables without the STOP sign). Now that attitude has changed, they think that the road is their drawing room & simply walk across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution_VIII View Post
Some people improve by education, some improve after seeing a tragic incident, some improve after meeting a tragic incident themselves.... but.. MOST of them never improve!
Very very true, I cannot agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001bhp View Post
Forgive me for my extreme emotions but i feel jay walkers should be sent to life imprisonment or even hanged.especially in kerala the way guys just cross the road makes my blood boil.they will cross the road as slowly as possible and if we horn give us a threatening stare.and in some cases some guys standing in the middle of the road will just refuse to move even if he sees the vehicle coming.we have to avoid him and go.But then i say to myself "Welcome to india"
Having driven in Kerala, I feel people here are much better than Chennai or Hyderabad or Bangalore. Sorry no offence meant (I personally belong to Chennai). In a way what you say is right because 10-15 years back, the road rules were followed very strictly, I mean, no overtaking even in right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
This reminds me of another incident.
Time: 7:45 - 8AM ish.
Vehicle: TATA Motors Company bus.
Narrator: My Father.

The bus was on schedule and at Yerwada (Pune).
A female with a can of water wants to cross the road to
answer the call of nature. She starts to cross the road.
The driver sees this from a good distance and prepares himself
and the vehicle to take a slight right so that she can cross safely
and the vehicle doesn't have to stop.
When in the middle of the road the female decides to
go back to the divider from where she started .
You've stated an wonderful example. However, if you notice these days, no one will care to go back, they will only run to cross or walk hastily to walk across - no turning back.

I strongly believe everyone has their own responsibilities on the road whether they walk or drive. Jaywalking is equivalent to rash & negligence driving, it is also a serious offence. With the advent of mobile phones, this has even increased I guess.
Old 20th January 2010, 12:46   #72
Senior - BHPian

jay walking should be punishable, having said that govt should make sure that there are proper footpaths and crossings.

rather Govt should take initiative to spread awareness among people about Street discipline!
Old 20th January 2010, 13:48   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
You've stated an wonderful example.
Thanks!
Quote:
However, if you notice these days, no one will care to go back, they will only run to cross or walk hastily to walk across - no turning back.
I think that is better. Atleast we know what to expect. Imagine a crossing where the automobile drivers don't know where the crosser is going to go. Straight ahead or come back.
Old 31st January 2010, 18:35   #74

I think we need more patience in this case. We need to understand that India is the second largest populated nation of the world. Many corners of our country are not aware of traffic rules and regulations. If there is a path, people will walk thru it, until and unless someone call them and tell them not to walk. We can change this situation only continoulsy educating and guiding the public to better practices.

We need enough traffic police to implement laws first, or to guide passengers to the right traffic practices. Once efforts for these are started, it would be better to think of punishments and actions.
Old 31st January 2010, 23:28   #75
BHPian

Though I know i am not talking realistic but in ideal world Jay walking is certainly a serious offence & I wish some how we can improve on this condition in India.

Most Viewed