Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2009, 16:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

My Ikon has had a few close encounters with Sumo's , bikers etc but thanks to the ability of the ORVM to completely fold in either direction no damages in the last 4 years (touchwood)
Old 4th September 2009, 17:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

I have had near scares quite a few times but the spring loaded mechanism helped it not breaking.

Thats why I like my Bolero ORVM which can take abuse on the road
Old 4th September 2009, 17:19   #18
BHPian

I lost the right side mirror while overtaking when the car(cab) on the other side did not move the left(though there was space for 2 lorries). only the mirror was shattered. the rest seems intact. called up the MASS guy and he told 1000 for a baleno mirror. :-(

This is my first loss in 4 years :-)
Old 4th September 2009, 17:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukaan View Post
Hi There,

It was around 8.30pm today,I was returning from the office in my Optra Magnum.
Day before, 8:30 AM, I was on the left lane of a 4 lane road, there was one of these Mahindra or Force motors van on the right. He wanted to take a left at the turn in front of me, so he moves left, in the process folds my right side ORVM completely in the opposite direction, doesnt even care what happens, and speeds away. This was at the Ambika Appalam signal in Adyar. I was in a hurry to get to work and didn't really bother chasing him, because the automatic folding feature was working, thankfully!
Old 4th September 2009, 17:47   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

My Wagon-R's RHS-ORVM is what I lost when I was driving on Hosur road one night and one of the barricade had got itself misplaced in such a way that avoiding it simply meant changing the lane abruptly.

I didn't think twice when I realised that I am either going to get too close to the barricade or get into a side by side collision with a car travelling parallel with me.

I tried my best not to move out of line abruptly and with a very little time I had to react, The mirror hit the barricade and few pieces flew inside the car and one of them hit my cheek just below my RHS eye. It wasn't a serious injury barring bleeding for a minute or two and a scar that lasted for a week.
(All this since Wagon-R Lxi ORVM has the mirror glass on the same piece as the plastic casing and the impact simply broke it into pieces).

It was a close shave indeed else the glass piece would've pierced into my eyes. Ironically, I always roll up and drive in Bangalore as I am not a fan of the rickshaws' piercing noise from cheaply altered muflers but fate had its own way on that night.
Old 4th September 2009, 21:40   #21
BHPian

My driver tried to overtake in a tight spot and ended up banging right OVRM and breakings the mirrors ,however the casing is still fine .Hyundai service claims i need to change entire set with the casing costing 1800/- and only mirror not avbl. . Have been hunting only for the glass without any luck since 8 months . Somehow have managed to learn driving only with rear view mirror .
Old 6th September 2009, 09:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Haha,
Lot of like me.
I lost 4 times right orvm of my alto during last year.
All caused by bikers.
Old 10th September 2009, 17:40   #23
BHPian

I lost mine while standing at a red signal, and with the ORVM closed. This biker comes along my car and hits the mirror with the bike's handle while trying to jump the light. I felt like chasing him and hitting his handle, but luckily calmed myself down.
Old 10th September 2009, 17:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
I felt like chasing him and hitting his handle
Only his handle? Good that you didnt. Would have probably hurt yourself a lot more than the biker!
Old 10th September 2009, 21:24   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
I felt like chasing him and hitting his handle
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Only his handle? Good that you didnt. Would have probably hurt yourself a lot more than the biker!
PW, note, L.O.G. said his handle, not his his bike's handle...
Old 8th December 2009, 21:34   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice Thread Mukaan, I have been quite lucky till now. Only time i lost one was some years back when a jeep on a narrow road hit my Indica's ORVM and the inner mirror fell off. It was replaced for 60 bucks.
Old 8th December 2009, 21:41   #27
BHPian

Ofcourse, I should be the member as well. My Honda city ZX vtec has both the left and the right one completely replaced.

Right ORVM -> Courtesy the autorikshaw guy, who as usual did not even stop.
Left ORVM -> A big company bus on the Bangalore-Chennai Highway.

Man, it's so frustrating, but I wish I could do something
Old 8th December 2009, 23:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

the OVRMs, Shuuu.. Delhi-ites would be seniors in this club I believe. Honda- all city, civic and accord, Skoda octavia and laura, Mitsubishi lancer, and toyota corolla are a few cars with very high demand of OVRM. so they are the cars whose mirrors are nicked the most.

Most of the civics and lancers I see in delhi are without OVRMs.
Old 9th December 2009, 00:01   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
the OVRMs, Shuuu.. Delhi-ites would be seniors in this club I believe. Honda- all city, civic and accord, Skoda octavia and laura, Mitsubishi lancer, and toyota corolla are a few cars with very high demand of OVRM. so they are the cars whose mirrors are nicked the most.

Most of the civics and lancers I see in delhi are without OVRMs.
You forgot the leaders here, Tata Safari and Skoda Octavia lead them all.

Last edited by .anshuman : 9th December 2009 at 00:02.
Old 10th December 2009, 13:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

lost my ORVM when my car was parked outside home, that too of the driver side. Surprisingly, there is no passage between Right side door and the gutter next to it, I somehow squeeze myself out. Thats not a walking area, still someone went there and broke it and took away, when it costs around 400 bucks only.

Other one, lost in my office parking.. well, there are other instances of losses too.

Still, I regularly replace them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks