Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2009, 15:14   #1
BHPian

Car abandoned outside my house, what do I do?

Guys,

There is a white Esteem ('96 or '97 model) parked outside my house for about 2 weeks now. Initially, we thought it was our owners but after checking with them a couple of day back, figured out that it was abandoned.

Our owners and my dad signed a complaint letter and handed it over to the police station nearby but they seemed to want money to remove the car. We refused and then they said they will come and remove it. I dallied 100 to see if there is another way but they asked me to give a complaint at the police station which we already did.

The car is very dirty now with a lot of crow-poo and dust and the street dogs are very happy under the car. However, the car seems to be in good condition. My questions are:
  1. What else can we do to get rid of the car (legally)?
  2. Why would someone abandon a car in good condition?
  3. Can there be a security threat because of an abandoned car?
Has anyone else faced a similar situation?
Old 14th September 2009, 15:19   #2
BHPian

If the number plates are there, then it shouldn't be a chore to trace it's owners. Is it from your state? It might even be a stolen vehicle from someplace abandoned there.

Legally, not sure, since it's not causing you any hindrance, is it?
Old 14th September 2009, 15:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

It's surprising too see the police not acting seriously on an abandoned vehicle. They should come and inspect it - see what's inside before removing it. It's their responsibility to tow it away.

My suggestion would be not to touch it. Try escalating the matter to the senior police officers if nothing is done in a day or two.
Old 14th September 2009, 15:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

If it is parked outside your house then you have complete legal right to get it removed from there.

The cops will keep asking money BUT please refuse as this is their job to get it removed.

Please notify the local newspaper who will publish a small news.. I did this sort of a thing years back.
Old 14th September 2009, 15:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

An Indica that has been in an accident was dumped outside by apartment too nearly a couple of years ago. Apparently it belonged to a neighbor of mine who had vacated a month prior to the car's appearance. Some guys towed it and came looking for the neighbor. When they found out he does not live there any more, they just abandoned the car right there and went away!

The police were not too keen on moving it as well. But they finally did move it after 2 weeks.
Old 14th September 2009, 15:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude View Post
If the number plates are there, then it shouldn't be a chore to trace it's owners. Is it from your state? It might even be a stolen vehicle from someplace abandoned there.

Legally, not sure, since it's not causing you any hindrance, is it?
Number plates are my city's (Chennai). Will tracing the owners cause unforeseen problems? It is causing some hindrance when reversing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
It's surprising too see the police not acting seriously on an abandoned vehicle.
It would have been surprising if they had come to inspect it immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Please notify the local newspaper who will publish a small news.. I did this sort of a thing years back.
I don't really want to go that far unless it is the last resort.

Gilead - I hope I dont have to wait for 2 weeks.

Last edited by Proxima : 14th September 2009 at 15:37.
Old 14th September 2009, 15:44   #7
BHPian

Inform the local mechanics nearby your place.The word will spread and soon some vehicle sharks will come take it away,dismantle and sell its parts in Shivaji nagar,Bangalore.
Probably they will give you some commission too.

And I am serious about this advice.I did this long back when there was old maruti parked outside my rented apartment for weeks, and caused some scratches on my car when I used to reverse.
Old 14th September 2009, 15:56   #8
BHPian

When I read the title, I thought it could be some poor Skoda owner who had to take this step for some peace of mind

I think you did the right thing by notifying the police. Alternatively, call someone from Pudupet. They will take ' good ' care of it
Old 14th September 2009, 15:58   #9
BHPian

@ Alter Ego and Neoranjit - lol. That will be my last resort.

If Chennai had an online tracing of owners by the vehicle number, it would have come in very handy here!
Old 14th September 2009, 16:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
  1. Why would someone abandon a car in good condition?
There is a possibility that the car was abandoned after a crime.
Old 14th September 2009, 16:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Howz the ICE? are the tires in good shape? There's a truck that had met with an accident on my way to work; A refrigrated van basically. First day, they moved it to a side, next week - I saw the AC missing. 2 weeks later - the tail lights and headlamps. A few more weeks down the line - All the tires were gone and the truck is on bricks!

Its been more than a year now its just a shell that's there. I doubt if the engine is also there now. Yeh hai India!
Old 14th September 2009, 16:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I doubt if the engine is also there now. Yeh hai India!
We can expect the same thing to happen in Los Angeles or New York City or any other crowded city.
Old 14th September 2009, 16:21   #13
BHPian

Well, I would advice you to place a complaint and have a copy of the FIR with you. You can use this FIR for any further reference.

There are atleast a dozen cars that have been abandoned in my street. Cars like logan, contassa classic, NE118, Fiat palio & Premier Padmini are all abandoned and in really bad shape. We didnt bother much as the cops said they wouldnt be able to do anything.

Extremely dangerous but we would have to live with it!
Old 14th September 2009, 16:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

If the car is abandoned after a being used for a crime or something, then police will surely trouble you. Try police help for the last time or inform your local mechanic about this. Ask him to take the car away and scrap it. IMHO an abandoned car in front of your house is can be risky as we dont know why the car was abandoned. For example some people were hit by the car, then they might come searching for the car and misinterpret that this is your car. Good that you have not touched the car.

1) Try police help for the last time.
2) Spend a bit of money with newspaper add claiming that car with registration number this that is lying near your house and owner is requested to take the car away.
3) If both 1 and 2 does not work, ask your mechanic to take the car away. You are free and the mechanic is more than happy with you. You are tension free.
If police approaches you and inquires about the car, simply tell them somebody took it away and show the copy of letter you had earlier given to police.
Old 14th September 2009, 16:27   #15
BANNED

I just read today from the forum about this

Stolen Vehicles India - Website to track Stolen Vehicles in India

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks