Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2009, 22:47   #16
BHPian

What to do in such cases? I think the safest course of action would be to avoid sleeping in the car under all circumstances. If you want to take a nap on the road side during a long drive, it would be better to keep the windows open just a little
Old 23rd September 2009, 18:37   #17
BHPian

I wonder if this is a specific problem to Hyundai Santro. I remember some years back there was another similar story, with the pic of the Santro also. It was in Hindu if I remember. The story was published in TOI also, but no follow up.
Old 23rd September 2009, 18:45   #18
Team-BHP Support

I don't understand one thing. How come, when the central locking fails, one cannot come out? Surely there should be a manual override to open the door.

Am I missing something?
Old 24th September 2009, 01:51   #19
BHPian

This is a simple problem of CO (Carbon monoxide) poisoning - caused by RUNNING ENGINE in an ENCLOSED SPACE. Nothing to do with the specific car, or central locking etc.

Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can happen within a matter of minutes. It is odorless, colorless poison can hurt you slowly in low levels, kill in higher levels of just 400 ppm. Note that it kills more people every year than any other poison.

CO emissions are produced whenever fuel (CNG/LPG/oil -petrol or diesel / kerosene /wood / coal etc) is burned. Normally the amount of CO produced is small, it can become hazardous if the place is not ventilated or the burning appliance is not functioning adequately.

There are many instances of such cases due to running engine in a closed garage. NEVER START/RUN CAR ENGINE IN AN ENCLOSED SPACE/garage.

Slightly OT: I have also seen many homes with Gas operated water heaters (CNG/LPG Gas gysers) installed in their bathrooms. This is also an extremely hazardous practice, and several cases have been reported of CO poisoning due such installations. Gas Gysers must be installed only in well ventilated areas, and never in bathrooms.
Old 24th September 2009, 16:13   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I don't understand one thing. How come, when the central locking fails, one cannot come out? Surely there should be a manual override to open the door.

Am I missing something?
Like it has been said earlier, the lack of oxygen first made them drowsy, and they slept, not realizing that it was caused by the CO2. Hence they did not think of opening the door and getting out.
Old 24th September 2009, 16:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Boy dies in car with AC on

Boy dies in car with AC on

KANPUR: A teenager sleeping in his car with its AC on inside a garage today died of suffocation here, barely days after a couple died in a similar way in the national capital, police said.

Vinay Gupta (18), a resident of Khalasi lines, was found dead inside his car that was parked in the garage, Superintendent of Police D K Chowdhury said.

He said according to Gupta's family, he returned late last night from a Ramlila show and in the absence of electricity, he went to sleep in his car.
The incident came to light this morning when the family members noticed smoke coming out of the vehicle and found Vinay lying unconscious inside, police said.

Preliminary investigation revealed the death was due to suffocation, police said, adding the body has been sent for postmortem.

Last week, Dinesh Gupta and his girl friend were trapped inside a car with its AC on after the vehicle ran out of petrol in New Delhi. While Dinesh died, the girl was admitted to a hospital in an unconscious state.

Boy dies in car with AC on - Kanpur - City - NEWS - The Times of India
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks