Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2009, 11:42   #1
BHPian

A very unique tragic accident !!

Please read this news report of a couple being trapped inside a car (one dead) as petrol ran out and a/c being functional and doors/windows not opening :
Engineer found dead in car in outer Delhi

Quite unbelievable !! How come they could not come out of the car if the electrical power in the car was working. Doors/windows would have opened isnt it. Unfortunately the make of the car is not mentioned.
That so much CO2 could accumulate by the time he managed to open the door and stumble to his death is another astounding info.
Old 19th September 2009, 12:24   #2
BHPian

Thats very tragic. From my understanding, once petrol runs out, doesnt the Engine stop and A/C also stop.

Maybe the central locking malfunctioned, I had heard tales of this central locking failing earlier and everyone getting trapped inside the car. Totally freak accident. Poor Guy. RIP.
Old 19th September 2009, 12:27   #3
BHPian

Unfortunate incident.

I remember reading reports of people dying in similar fashion in July 2005 in Mumbai - that day of extremely heavy rain. Apparently they got trapped in some place where the water level was too high to open the doors. They kept their AC on, the battery ran out and finally they couldn't open the power windows either.
Old 19th September 2009, 16:51   #4
BHPian

Another newsreport has the pic of the car - a santro. Also reported that the car ran out of petrol at 2.30 AM. My suspicion is that both decided to rest off inside the car until morning and the wholde tragedy happened.
Old 19th September 2009, 17:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

i feel sorry for the death of the couple.

this is slow death caused by CO2, which accumulates inside the car if the vehicle is kept running idle inside a enclosed place, like a garage!

people are ignorant about this process of CO2 being sucked in by the AC of the car and killing people!

i think the manual of every vehicle in india mentions not to use the car in an enclosed place like a garage!
Old 19th September 2009, 17:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

This a case of Carbon monoxide poisoning. Death can occur in sleep as well in such cases.
Old 19th September 2009, 18:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

CO2 poisoning but not because of a running engine since they were out of Petrol and no AC since no fuel. My guess is that windows were closed, fan was running (not AC), the vent was set to recirculation, since it was 230am both dozed off, ratio of Oxygen started dropping inside due to lack of venting and two people breathing inside. Slowly they slipped from sleep into unconsciousness. When the guy slipped back into consciousness probably it was too late. RIP.

I get giddy if driving with AC on and vent set to recirc, even if it's for a short period. I keep it in recirc (edit: not recirc, i meant fresh air mode) always.

Last edited by Sankar : 19th September 2009 at 18:15.
Old 19th September 2009, 18:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
CO2 poisoning but not because of a running engine since they were out of Petrol and no AC since no fuel. My guess is that windows were closed, fan was running (not AC), the vent was set to recirculation, since it was 230am both dozed off, ratio of Oxygen started dropping inside due to lack of venting and two people breathing inside. Slowly they slipped from sleep into unconsciousness. When the guy slipped back into consciousness probably it was too late. RIP.

I get giddy if driving with AC on and vent set to recirc, even if it's for a short period. I keep it in recirc always.
I feel the same too. Unfortunate. The car might have run out of fuel and they must have dozed off.
Old 19th September 2009, 18:34   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
Thats very tragic. From my understanding, once petrol runs out, doesnt the Engine stop and A/C also stop.

Maybe the central locking malfunctioned, I had heard tales of this central locking failing earlier and everyone getting trapped inside the car. Totally freak accident. Poor Guy. RIP.
AC does switch off in absence of fuel but blower continues which couple probably didn't notice since they dozed off.

This situation is particularly dangerous because with only blower on (AC off), there is no re-circulation of air which explains why we can go on journeys of over 5 hours and not observe the symptoms and yet it turned out to be fatal for the couple in this case.

Basically, with just blower working off the battery power, a person is effectively choking himself/herself.

There was a case few years back when a driver of logistics company transporting cars to dealer slept in the car with AC on. Since, new cars are supplied with minimum quantity of fuel, the person in this case also succumbed to death due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Old 19th September 2009, 19:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

I get giddy if driving with AC on and vent set to recirc, even if it's for a short period. I keep it in recirc (edit: not recirc, i meant fresh air mode) always.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I feel the same too. Unfortunate. The car might have run out of fuel and they must have dozed off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
AC does switch off in absence of fuel but blower continues which couple probably didn't notice since they dozed off.

This situation is particularly dangerous because with only blower on (AC off), there is no re-circulation of air which explains why we can go on journeys of over 5 hours and not observe the symptoms and yet it turned out to be fatal for the couple in this case.

Basically, with just blower working off the battery power, a person is effectively choking himself/herself.

There was a case few years back when a driver of logistics company transporting cars to dealer slept in the car with AC on. Since, new cars are supplied with minimum quantity of fuel, the person in this case also succumbed to death due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
get real guys, its CO2 and nothing else!

its scientifcally proven that CO2 is instrumental in causing slow death!
Old 19th September 2009, 19:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

OT: I am wondering why all are calling it CO2 (carbn di-oxide) poisoning. Where as this is a case of CO (carbon mono-oxide) poisoning.

This happened on a flight as well. Flight pilots fell unconcious and so did the passengers. I saw this on Nat Geo Air Crash Investigtions.

Similar incident here: Pair found dead in parked car in carbon monoxide poisoning - The Boston Globe | Encyclopedia.com
Old 19th September 2009, 19:42   #12
BHPian

Carbon monoxide poisoning happens in various places: even at homes. People died in Kashmir during winter months when they closed all the crevices in the room to keep chill out but was unaware of the lack of ventilation for the wood fire inside the room.
Old 19th September 2009, 20:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
get real guys, its CO2 and nothing else!

its scientifcally proven that CO2 is instrumental in causing slow death!
Where did i say it's not CO2 (CO)? (Pervez thanks for pointing out it's not CO2 but CO) How do you explain CO without a running engine? Its CO but not from a running engine.

How do i get real?

Last edited by Sankar : 19th September 2009 at 20:16.
Old 19th September 2009, 21:00   #14
BHPian

Dinesh, 24, a junior engineer and a Delhi resident, was found dead in a car on Friday. Along with him a girl, a Delhi University student, was found in an unconscious state.

The reports are diffreent. This is what NDTV says.
The car was parked in the garage ..... what else will happen!

----The car was in Dinesh's garage and the AC was turned on. Police sources say they were known to each other from before.

"The preliminary inquiry says that the death was caused because of suffocation," said DCP Atul Katiyar.

But what led to Dinesh's death? The car was parked in a shut garage. The AC was turned on and all four doors of the car were shut. The engine was releasing carbon monoxide - a poisonous gas that didn't find a way out. The gas began to seep inside the car, that first made the people sleep, then unconscious, and slowly killed them.

While the post-mortem report of Dinesh is awaited, the girl is fine and is back home with her family.------
Old 20th September 2009, 22:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

my mistake in writing CO as CO2! my apologies!

i was never good in chemistry!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks