Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2013, 15:58   #1711
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Hope that Taramani-Siruseri elevated corridor comes soon. This will aid a lot in the congestion being faced by all the road users.
That aside, i heard that the metro trains are going to be launched soon, how true is this?

Is the IT corridor road so bad as they say it is? I have never been there but tambaram seems to be the most affected by traffic problems. Been hearing lots of cases of accidents happening now and then.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 26th April 2013 at 16:01.
Old 26th April 2013, 17:29   #1712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Hope that Taramani-Siruseri elevated corridor comes soon. This will aid a lot in the congestion being faced by all the road users.
That aside, i heard that the metro trains are going to be launched soon, how true is this?

Is the IT corridor road so bad as they say it is? I have never been there but tambaram seems to be the most affected by traffic problems. Been hearing lots of cases of accidents happening now and then.
Buddy I used to drive in the OMR and now I drive to Crompet(via bypass). The IT corridor is a mess always, and an absolute nightmare when it rains!! The 8 odd kms that I do daily in the Chrompet area is not bad. But that's because the volume of vehicles is less. In terms of road discipline I would say the OMR is ahead!!
KINI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 17:35   #1713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Buddy I used to drive in the OMR and now I drive to Crompet(via bypass). The IT corridor is a mess always, and an absolute nightmare when it rains!! The 8 odd kms that I do daily in the Chrompet area is not bad. But that's because the volume of vehicles is less. In terms of road discipline I would say the OMR is ahead!!
To compare OMR's road discipline in the positive sense against the IT corridor's, lesser said the better i think. Irrespective of being educated or not, most of the people seem to be in a never-ending hurry like they really need to take a loo break. God bless chennai's traffic situation.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 26th April 2013 at 17:36.
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 17:42   #1714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post

To compare OMR's road discipline in the positive sense against the IT corridor's is saying a lot. Well, educated or not, most of the people seem to be in a never-ending hurry like they really need to take a loo break. God bless chennai's traffic situation.
The major issue in Chrompet/Tambaram area is that there is an unusually high number to two wheelers without rear lights/reflectors.I feel OMR is better in that regard. Add that with the relatively higher speeds on this road can be a bit of a problem sometimes for people who aren't used to this road. But once you get to know the nuances of driving on this road, it becomes a breeze(despite utter disregard for traffic signals). Whereas in the OMR, the heavy volume of vehicles ensures that if one is stuck, he/she stays stuck
Old 26th April 2013, 18:01   #1715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
The major issue in Chrompet/Tambaram area is that there is an unusually high number to two wheelers without rear lights/reflectors.I feel OMR is better in that regard. Add that with the relatively higher speeds on this road can be a bit of a problem sometimes for people who aren't used to this road. But once you get to know the nuances of driving on this road, it becomes a breeze(despite utter disregard for traffic signals). Whereas in the OMR, the heavy volume of vehicles ensures that if one is stuck, he/she stays stuck
Agreed. And one more thing, i had a near miss with one biker who didn't have his rear reflector/lamp and i would have rear ended him. Luckily his number plate (which was unusually clean) gave him away. The guy then proceeded to swerve thrice and then settled into the right hand most lane. This entire episode happened on NH5. I also had a near miss on my bike where a drunk cyclist(!) of all people began dilly-dallying in the middle and ended up confusing me so bad that i slowed down and waited for him to go to some extreme so that i could take the other. Those who have no regard for their own lives don't deserve it imho. I know i put it in a harsh way but, thats the way it is. Its more of a people problem than anything else. People in Adyar seem to be adhering to rules these days, people in Koyambedu fear nothing: Even if lord Yama decides to take them away, they will make him sit, pour him a glass or two and party with him.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 26th April 2013 at 18:06.
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 18:32   #1716
BHPian

I first blamed others for all this violations, nothing works except loosing peace of mind and shot up blood pressure, Some of them here even asked to find the 'suitable place' to live-in instead of blaming :-)

Then i started adopting to Gandhian rule, 'If you want the world to change, be that change.' so i left myself stick on to road discipline, then i could see plenty of people on road shouting at me
When i stopped at red signal,
When i do defensive driving in narrow streets to avoid hurdles,
When i stick on lane..

Ok now what, i got the advice from the very same thread that its better to go/adjust with the crowd even some cops asks to do so with fellow bhp-ians here.

Now me started adjusting, if somebody honks bad at me at red signal i move on after watching almost every corners of junction.
Speed up and try to squeeze in the narrowest gap in the already narrow street. sometimes work, sometimes create a havoc.
But what to do, if not the two wheeler from behind will honk madly and utter some words if you stop for the oncoming vehicle :-).

Its not that we love the vehicle more than other human being on the road, after all what we have is a man made machine. What we all think is to make road a better place to be on. For that we need self discipline. Educated/un-educated doesn't makes much different.
It needs to come from the way we brought up, (a society brought up).

One of the recent conversation i heard between three kids in my apartment complex play area,

Kid 1: Dey tomorrow do you guys come to play in the morning

Kid 2: No da..

Kid 3: I will come

Kid 2: Dey (pointing to kid 3) dont you remember that we need to be on school an hour early than usual?

Kid 3: I knew, but i can start from home just few mins before, my pappa flew off everything and drops me on time, you know he dont even stops on signal, he flicks up his wrist and races of everything on road and just flew off. His bike is very powerfull. (This kid tells With full action)

The other two kids watching this kid with jaw dropped, i guess to them the Kid 3's father is now one among the 'Power rangers', i bet you the other kids will ask his Dad to move on in a Red signal soon :-).

This kid may exaggerating his pappa's driving, but violating traffic rules remains as a sign of 'Being COOL' for that kid for sure.

What we can expect from this kid when he became an adult and with a motor vehicle?
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 14:03   #1717
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this eco-friendly vehicle at Perungudi on OMR last week. The contraption evoked a lot of interest from the passers-by. I guess it is a human-powered light-weight mode of transportation. Not sure if it has any other power-mode (battery).

For some reason, the cab had issues moving and the guy was trying hard to get it to move.
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-20130425-11.57.54.jpg

Rear view
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-20130425-11.58.10.jpg
Old 27th April 2013, 14:36   #1718
Senior - BHPian

Guess it is a solar powered vehicle. The solar panels are visible on the first pic.
Old 28th April 2013, 10:18   #1719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Spotted this eco-friendly vehicle at Perungudi on OMR last week.
The website on the vehicle led to this article:

http://newindianexpress.com/cities/c...icle588087.ece

Solar powered, 80K cost, free rides upto 4km - all nice things. Let us hope the project succeeds :-)

Edit: The website is http://www.earnwhileyoudrive.in
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 10:32   #1720
Senior - BHPian

Whats with the St Marys road/CP Ramasamy road junction. Wont anyone follow the road signal. No one seems to care about the signal at this junction, no care for traffic on the other side and almost always taking the wrong side of the road has become a habit.

Not just private car owners, the public transport gives a hoots about this signal.
Old 4th May 2013, 22:17   #1721
BHPian

Has any body noticed yellow drums placed on the velachery main road connecting guindy to separate the oncoming traffic. The traffic drums itself posts a serious hazard.
BoeingDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 10:25   #1722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Whats with the St Marys road/CP Ramasamy road junction. Wont anyone follow the road signal. No one seems to care about the signal at this junction, no care for traffic on the other side and almost always taking the wrong side of the road has become a habit.

Not just private car owners, the public transport gives a hoots about this signal.
They have installed / put to use white marked stones to act as a median at this junction just to tell the erring motorists that they should stick to their lanes.

The signal hardly is in use during off-peak hours and that adds to the confusion.

It is a synchronised signal with the next one {Billroth Hospital - CP R salai and RA puram 2nd main rd}
Old 6th May 2013, 20:26   #1723
Senior - BHPian

College-road was fully choked today with standstill traffic, starting from Good-Shepherd school junction till Sankara Nethralaya and possibly much beyond that (could not see any further since I took the right to Haddows road, which was free of traffic). Odd thing was that this was at 11:30AM which is off-peak and during which time this road is usually free of traffic. Noticed the same traffic build-up last Monday also at same time. Any metro or other construction happening at that part of the city ?
Old 10th May 2013, 09:53   #1724
Senior - BHPian

Some news for you chennai folks : http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...traffic-police .
Happy driving .
Old 10th May 2013, 12:17   #1725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69
These rubber speed-breakers might look tiny compared to the conventional humps, but they are way potent than the latter. You can crawl over them at the lowest speed, but they will still jolt you and the car/bike. I hope they stick to the conventional type & don't bring in these rubber back-breakers.

Most Viewed