Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2013, 15:25   #1891
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

It's the signal that is important, not which limb is used
Old 27th August 2013, 16:17   #1892
Senior - BHPian

Cops were checking cars for tints on the Chennai One road today afternoon - this was on the same side and a 100ms or so after the TCS office (while going towards Kamakshi Hospital).
Old 27th August 2013, 17:17   #1893
BHPian

Metro to miss deadline..
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/22084781.cms
Old 28th August 2013, 09:33   #1894
BHPian

Looks like most educational institutions and banks are closed today - a lot less traffic on the road. My usual 50 minute commute was done in 30 minutes !
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 10:33   #1895

Saw a number plateless car in our office parking lot yesterday...Then comes this news today!! Good initiative!!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/22130366.cms
Old 29th August 2013, 11:13   #1896
Senior - BHPian

I still saw flag bearing brainless politician cars still running with GOLDEN number plates. This drive is also mostly attention seeking.

Suddenly a barricade has appeared close to Airport. More Traffic trouble.

If the police are after slowing traffic, start disciplining over speeding by booking every car everyday and creating a change in behavior instead of these adjustments.
Old 30th August 2013, 16:13   #1897
BHPian

I am planning to drive via Kathipara - Koyambedu - Redhills around Sunday 4am. This route is advisable at that time or better take Kathipara - Porur- Byepass road – Redhills? Any suggestions please?
Old 30th August 2013, 16:37   #1898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran View Post
I am planning to drive via Kathipara - Koyambedu - Redhills around Sunday 4am. This route is advisable at that time or better take Kathipara - Porur- Byepass road – Redhills? Any suggestions please?
Hi, At the time you have mentioned, there would be less or no traffic. Take the 1st option itself. The 2nd option has 2 tolls. 1 at porur(you will join after the toll so no problem) and 2 at puzhal. But the toll road is very very poor and not worth it. It has has tar accumulated everywhere due to the heat and its difficult to even maintain 60kmph.

The 100ft road via Koyembedu-Retteri_Puzhal is much better IMO. Nowadays I take this route to goto redhills, even in peak hours.

Have a great drive.
Cheers:-)

Last edited by swami.n : 30th August 2013 at 16:39.
swami.n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 16:39   #1899
Senior - BHPian

Easier and faster from Kathipara would be the Porur- Byepass route. At 4AM i am hoping the IT traffic on sunday would be NIL

As you mentioned kathipara, here is that beautiful curve towards saidapet while you come from Guindy.

VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 19:22   #1900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
As you mentioned kathipara, here is that beautiful curve towards saidapet while you come from Guindy.
Just watched the nice video. I liked the way the camera is tied to the Bullet! Also I liked the helmet locker (used for cycles as well) and I use the same for my bike as well :-)
Old 30th August 2013, 23:05   #1901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
Hi, At the time you have mentioned, there would be less or no traffic. Take the 1st option itself. The 2nd option has 2 tolls. 1 at porur(you will join after the toll so no problem) and 2 at puzhal. But the toll road is very very poor and not worth it. It has has tar accumulated everywhere due to the heat and its difficult to even maintain 60kmph.

The 100ft road via Koyembedu-Retteri_Puzhal is much better IMO. Nowadays I take this route to goto redhills, even in peak hours.

Have a great drive.
Cheers:-)
I agree with Swami's view. The Chennai bye-pass was beautifully smooth a while back, but heavy traffic of overloaded lorries have spoiled it. I don't think any kind of maintenance is done on the road despite heavy collection of tolls (could be the case with any toll road in our great country I guess). Oversize lorries parked without any lights or reflector poses additional threat.

The 100 feet road would be better bet anytime - would be a breeze at 4 AM. However, use caution - especially at junctions - as there could be those rare vehicles speeding thinking that their's will be the only vehicle plying at that time.
GunMo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 14:21   #1902
BHPian

Thanks Gunmo and Swami.n. I took the 100ft road from Koyambedu to Redihills during 4AM and while return during 9.30PM. Its a fantastic road and its better to leave the Porur - Byepass road for the time being untill this 100ft road gets worsen :-)
Old 8th September 2013, 15:27   #1903
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone go to the auto expo?

Previous experience made me think I would see nothing there that I could not see in a carpark, except for a handful of exotics which would be cordoned off beyond arm's reach of general public, and almost nothing in the way of ICE, accessories or car-care products, so I haven't bothered.

If I'm wrong, please let me know and I'll give it another chance next year!
Old 8th September 2013, 19:06   #1904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Anyone go to the auto expo?

Previous experience made me think I would see nothing there that I could not see in a carpark, except for a handful of exotics which would be cordoned off beyond arm's reach of general public, and almost nothing in the way of ICE, accessories or car-care products, so I haven't bothered.

If I'm wrong, please let me know and I'll give it another chance next year!
Yes. Please don't bother. It was a waste of 50 bucks, fuel and time.

No stalls except for cars and nothing new on display even within those.
Old 8th September 2013, 21:38   #1905
Senior - BHPian

Left at 5.30 PM to attend the wedding reception of the daughter of an ex-colleague at Mangadu. Since it was sunny, took the Motorbike out and my son also tagged along on the pillion.

Within about 30 minutes, the time it took us to reach Anakaputhur, the skies darkened and opened up! We had barely enough time to pull up at the side of the road and run in to a shop! My God, what a cloudburst! It rained cats and dogs for about half an hour, and left the roads flooded. We huddled inside the shop for about an hour, then hightailed it back home! Mangadu was another 8 KM away, and we have to cross a river through a causeway. Who knows what it's condition will be?

Pammal is a very low lying area and it was a nightmare to cross it. The roads were knee deep in water at many places, for about 100 metres at a stretch. With the traffic crawling, had a harrowing time crossing them. My silencer pipe submerged at a couple of places and a cloud of steam billowed up. Kept the revs high with a silent prayer!

Things improved after touching Pallavaram, and reached home without further ado!

Planning to attend the 6.00 AM Muhurat tomorrow - provided I wake up in time, and there is no further rain!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks