Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2009, 17:13   #31

thanks for the suggestions everyone in future i shall remember not to make a rush as accidents are bound to happen in a rush. I have learnt my lesson. i am using good tyres and lights though guys, will post pics as soon as my car is out of the workshop, till then peace guys, cheers!!
Old 12th November 2009, 17:26   #32
Senior - BHPian

dude when you saw the bullock cart you could have lowered you gear to 3rd directly and then to 2nd and in the process if you had applied brakes then you could have acerted this tragedy. During my initial days i used to tail gate and in one intersection the guy in front of me (swift) braked suddenly and i was almost 20-25 ft far and with 110km/hr speed(imagine in my Matiz.. without any technologies in it). I couldn't turn the steering also as it was a highway(on mysore - b'lore road--near Ramanagar) and lorries were running next to me. I just applied brakes and from 5th came down to 3rd and ledt the clutch to slow down and then with a fraction moved to 2nd and left the clutch and applied brakes to get the control back. Lesson learnt and from that day stopped tail gating.
Old 12th November 2009, 19:23   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
A similar incident almost happened to me on the NH-17.

Was on a high-speed stretch near Nagothane, doing around 120 (yes, I, too, speed). It was pitch dark ahead, when suddenly was alerted to a slight glint up ahead. Slowed down and flashed the "pass" beam. IT WAS A TRUCK WITH THE BACK COMPLETELY COVERED IN SOME TAR-LIKE MATERIAL. NO BRAKE-LIGHT, NOTHING.

Thanked my stars I noticed it in time.
blur, did you notice the slight glint because you did what Selective says - using the high beam periodically? Dipping periodically, even when not overtaking, is a must on our highways as it helps one anticipate better.

also i am a little surprised you feel the 'norm' is having taillights and the 'exception' is not. Thats true for our cities, but on the highway its best to toggle this logic. That way you are 'surprised' to see tail-lights
Old 12th November 2009, 22:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Having ABS is no guarantee that you will always be safe during heavy braking. ABS function is generally good when the road conditions are slippery /wet, it helps you to control the car by not letting the brake lock under heavy braking.

The key is to always drive defensive.
You should be in control of the car rather the car controlling You.
Old 12th November 2009, 23:25   #35
BHPian

even with the best gizmos what will happen will happen . no abs so no highway driving doesnt make sense . better to know the limits of your car and more importantly to know your own limits . drive safe buddy que sera sera.
by the way what happened to the bulls are they claiming insurance
Old 13th November 2009, 19:29   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
blur, did you notice the slight glint because you did what Selective says - using the high beam periodically?
I guess I must have caught it at the outermost edge of my beam. I get extra paranoid while on the highway at night. So any such glints or suspicious objects (read stray villager/biker) are followed by the "pass" beam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
on the highway its best to toggle this logic. That way you are 'surprised' to see tail-lights
What I meant was the guy had ZERO running lights at the back. And the tar like thing gave him a real STEALTH FEEL
Have noticed the 'no tail light' thing with quite a few bikes as well. So they end up becoming completely invisible when you are blinded by the glare of an oncoming vehicle
Old 20th November 2009, 12:46   #37
BHPian

Human ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
By instinct cut gears to 3rd /2nd, and dont slam the brake- pump it.
Well Said

Thats exactly what I do in such situations.

It prevents the vehicle from moving off its trajectory.

Human ABS.
Old 20th November 2009, 12:49   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Having ABS is no guarantee that you will always be safe during heavy braking. ABS function is generally good when the road conditions are slippery /wet, it helps you to control the car by not letting the brake lock under heavy braking
ABS kicks in any type of roads, more swiftly in wet roads. But if you don't have steering space, it might not help

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks