Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2009, 17:57   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-positive View Post
Why dont you use a hands-free when driving ?
Don't you think any form of Talking will be a distraction to driving ? I think that is the primary reason to enforce this law.

@issigonis,

There is no use brooding over what has happened. You have learnt your lesson. Now just move on and don't repeat this.
Old 4th December 2009, 18:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

try to get a new hands free kit to ensure safety of yourself and others on the road.
But afaik the cops in bangalore dont take away your licence for mobile usage,rather charge you 100 bucks on spot.
many a times you get booked for the wrong reasons also . I have been booked for using a mobile by cops even on days which i have not bought the mobile along with me.

and remember one thing
its never illegal unless you get caught
Old 4th December 2009, 18:28   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post

and remember one thing
its never illegal unless you get caught
It is illegal.
Studies have shown that the probability of an accident goes up by roughly 400% when the driver is using a mobile phone. I just saw the TV advt on mobiles and accidents, hence the number popped up so fast.

Next time when you are stuck behind a slow moving car. Peek inside it as you finally cross it. Chances are the driver was on a mobile phone. Either speaking or texting someone.

Is it too much to ask of people to follow simple traffic rules.
Does one need a police man to make you do the right thing.

Old 4th December 2009, 18:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
You are correct.
It is a different matter that I won't use the mobile again whilst driving, but others will. Its simply a matter of the police catching someone and not the others; also that I do not pay them off.

Regards
It was your bad luck that u got caught, You cant compare with any other person or driver though. Recently same thing happen to me also. I always follow traffic rule but recently i Jumped a signal unknowingly and had to pay 100/-
Old 4th December 2009, 18:40   #20
BHPian

Thank you folks.

I will go to the Andheri court,pay the fine for the violation, get a receipt and my driving licence back.

What is funny is that this is one of the very few occasions that I did use the mobile phone and got caught; on the same day in the morning on way to office on the JVLR near the Powai Lake, a Honda City wasn't giving way for nearly 150 m. When I overtook the car from the left ( after honking my horn) and feeling bad about this manouevre, I glanced to my right to see a well dressed man talking on the mobile, without any hands free.

Well, I will take ashish's advice ( by the way ashish have you returned from your Malaysian trip?) and keep the mobile on silent mode and simply not respond. Much better to escape with just a fine rather than have an accident. I wouldn't try hands free even if its legal, as that might be a distraction too.

[In fact I'd read somewhere that looking at advertising hoardings or any other attractive* sights ( including pretty women!) leaves the brain with information overload that reduces the brain's ability to take quick decisions, thereby affecting speed of response of drivers.]

* Interesting to the brain, necessitating the brain to process extra information whilst driving

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 4th December 2009 at 18:43. Reason: Corrected error, added points
Old 5th December 2009, 06:27   #21
BHPian

Using mobile Phones while driving.

Quote:
Thank you folks.
A new item in Yesterday's Papers.

A School bus fell into a pond killing 9 pre school children. Cause of the acciden? Driver talking on Mobile phone.
Old 5th December 2009, 07:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
It is illegal.
Studies have shown that the probability of an accident goes up by roughly 400% when the driver is using a mobile phone. I just saw the TV advt on mobiles and accidents, hence the number popped up so fast.

Next time when you are stuck behind a slow moving car. Peek inside it as you finally cross it. Chances are the driver was on a mobile phone. Either speaking or texting someone.

Is it too much to ask of people to follow simple traffic rules.
Does one need a police man to make you do the right thing.

YouTube - Cell Phone while driving
lol dude i was joking!!!
yes you are very right regarding slow moving cars and people using phones in them. I have witnessed this many a times.
Old 5th December 2009, 10:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
( by the way ashish have you returned from your Malaysian trip?)
I will be Malaysia in feb2010.
Old 5th December 2009, 21:29   #24
BHPian

Today saw a biker speaking on mobile by balancing the set between his upper arm and ear. He had slowed down and was affecting the traffic behind him.
Old 6th December 2009, 00:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Few thing I wanted to ask:

Is using a hands-free set punishable by law?

If you're wearing a blue-tooth hands-free, but not attending a call, are you punishable?

When there are no service lanes or such, are you expected to drive on to your destination before calling back to find out that you are needed at your origin urgently and that you need to go back?

Also isn't a car driver using a hands-free much safer than a two-wheeler with a mobile phone tucked in his helmet and with a wry-neck to balance it there while coo-chi-cooing with his girlfriend? or the middle aged lady with 3 children on her Kine balancing her mobile between her ear and shoulder and groceries on both handlebars?
Old 6th December 2009, 00:42   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Few thing I wanted to ask:

Is using a hands-free set punishable by law?

If you're wearing a blue-tooth hands-free, but not attending a call, are you punishable?
Yes, its a punishable offence, blue tooth/hands free/car audio call integration all are illegal, I yet do not know why ARAI certified the Magna with the bluetooth integrated module.

Yes, if caught by the police, you will be held responsible for talking on your cell phones, the law is very clear, "communicating by any means (the hands free) using a mobile phone"

I generally filter calls, if its from home, i say i am driving and if its anything important. Else if office, i cut and respond back when not driving. (It's etiquette)
Old 6th December 2009, 01:06   #27
BHPian

Talking on mobile while driving

hi guys.
1. have you all realised that bluetooth on the car stereos is the latest in-thing and that it promotes talking while driving. imagine the whole family being able to hear and talk back and that too on the car speakers. what will be the driver's ability to concentrate on the road?

2. as far as two wheelers go, the best way is to overtake them and stop right in front of them. then you can tell them that you got a call and stopped because you dont drive while talking as it is dangerous. should make him feel some shame.

3. the safest thing to do , i guess is to just avoid the phone and let it ring. or (this is what i do), find a service lane/parking spot at the earliest, check who had called on missed calls feature and depending on who it is, call back immediately or later. i call back immediately only if its my wife, dad or mom-in-law.
Old 6th December 2009, 09:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Yes, its a punishable offence, blue tooth/hands free/car audio call integration all are illegal, I yet do not know why ARAI certified the Magna with the bluetooth integrated module.

Yes, if caught by the police, you will be held responsible for talking on your cell phones, the law is very clear, "communicating by any means (the hands free) using a mobile phone"

I generally filter calls, if its from home, i say i am driving and if its anything important. Else if office, i cut and respond back when not driving. (It's etiquette)
I didn't know that. In most of the states in US, it is legal to talk in a hands free kit while driving.

Off Topic: If I am not carrying hands free kit, I usually take the call in speakerphone. But I agree, the best thing to do is to park the car and call back. It is dangerous taking the call while driving.
Old 6th December 2009, 09:36   #29
BHPian

IIRC, according to our Motor Vehicles act, one is supposed to SWITCH OFF mobile phones while driving/riding!
On a side note, wouldn't listening to music also be distracting while driving?
Old 6th December 2009, 09:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
hi guys.
1. have you all realised that bluetooth on the car stereos is the latest in-thing and that it promotes talking while driving. imagine the whole family being able to hear and talk back and that too on the car speakers. what will be the driver's ability to concentrate on the road?
And what is the ability of a driver to concentrate, when he is talking to a fellow passenger? Are you suggesting that one do not talk at all while driving(as long as one is observing the road)?

Bluetooth facility is a safe thing to have IMO, but it should not be abused. i.e talking hours on end about mundane things - Normal people should not be much distracted while having a quick call on the bluetooth.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks