Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2009, 18:05   #31
BHPian

Hands free / Blue Tooth - while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
And what is the ability of a driver to concentrate, when he is talking to a fellow passenger? Are you suggesting that one do not talk at all while driving(as long as one is observing the road)?

Bluetooth facility is a safe thing to have IMO, but it should not be abused. i.e talking hours on end about mundane things - Normal people should not be much distracted while having a quick call on the bluetooth.
In the Middl East it is legal to use hands free or Blue tooth. In fact if you want to use the mobile phone while driving, you have to use hands free or blue tooth.

The danger in using mobile phone while driving is the distraction while picking up a incoming call and while trying to dial an outgoing call.

With the Blue Tooth or hands free integrated into the Music system in the car, you are not at all distracted.

Where can I find the info regarding the legality of Hands free/ Blue tooth while driving in India?
Old 6th December 2009, 21:35   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-positive View Post
Why dont you use a hands-free when driving ?
That is illegal too

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_m5_titus View Post
IIRC, according to our Motor Vehicles act, one is supposed to SWITCH OFF mobile phones while driving/riding!
On a side note, wouldn't listening to music also be distracting while driving?
That is correct. According to MV act, you are supposed to switch off your mobile when driving, unless you have a fellow passenger who can make / receive calls on you behalf. As a matter of fact, even pulling over to take a call is illegal.

Listening to music, on the other hand, is not as interactive as talking on the phone. The music system does not ask you questions and wait for an answer, after all.

The bottomline is - the human brain is not designed to multi-task. So, doing 2 things that require your attention at the same time is a bad idea. Funnily enough, here in Memphis, they have just passed a law making it illegal to type text messages when you are driving

I do use bluetooth, but the usual response is "I am driving call me / I will call you later" . No call, however important is worth it.

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 6th December 2009, 21:41   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
And what is the ability of a driver to concentrate, when he is talking to a fellow passenger? Are you suggesting that one do not talk at all while driving(as long as one is observing the road)?

Bluetooth facility is a safe thing to have IMO, but it should not be abused. i.e talking hours on end about mundane things - Normal people should not be much distracted while having a quick call on the bluetooth.
Hi there

no where in my post have i written that driver do not talk at all while driving. i dont really know how you jumped to that conclusion that i meant so!! Moreover, talking on the mobile and to fellow passengers isnt the same!!

all i really meant was that in case there are kinds in the car (or even friends), it would sometimes be difficult for the driver to concentrate. Have you ever tried to change CD/cassettes in car while driving? doesnt mean that we should not have a music system.

What i meant was that driving cautiously takes supreme importance over things like making / taking a call, or anything for that matter. HOPE EVERYONE AGREES ON THE LAST POINT.
Old 6th December 2009, 23:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

The rule should have been 'No operating a mobile phone while driving'. Texting messages, searching through contacts, Browsing internet, etc. should be banned.
GPS use should also be banned.
Women wearing lipstick, mascara, etc while driving should be banned.
Men shaving, adjusting their ties (or anything else) while driving should be banned.
Co-passengers should be banned.
Gear levers, wiper and light stalks should be banned.
Horn should be banned.

Actually the list is endless. Guess driving should be banned if accidents are to be prevented!
Old 7th December 2009, 09:52   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Actually the list is endless. Guess driving should be banned if accidents are to be prevented!

haha,
by this logic,
if driving is banned, then there will be no drivers,
if there are no drivers, there will be no cars,
if there are no cars, there will be no team-bhp,
if there is no team-bhp, there will be no wildsdi5530.

so, banning of mobile talk on drive = banning of wildsdi5530.

just kidding.
Old 7th December 2009, 12:21   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Regarding mobile while driving, i simply switch off or put it on silent mode.
Isn't is easier to just stop and take the call? I never take a call while driving. I see the person who is calling, and if it some family member or important person (read manager :P) then I pull over and take the call as it might be something important. If it is a friend, I just call back later on. Of course if my wife is with me, I ask to attend the call at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I didn't know that. In most of the states in US, it is legal to talk in a hands free kit while driving.
In Germany, the cabbies regularly keep conversing on the hands-free. Sometimes for traffic updates, or to communicate with their 'call-center', or to ask directions (in case they don't have GPS, or to a specific building). So I assume that it is legal there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
As a matter of fact, even pulling over to take a call is illegal.
I wonder why? Is this documented in the MVA? As long as you pull over slowly and with your indicators flashing and not stopping where there is a no parking, or not stopping in the middle (or side) of a busy road, I assume it shouldn't be illegal. I would say pulling over to take a call is as illegal is parking the car.

I always pull over to the side, as long as there is no 'no stopping/no parking' signboard, if I need to take a call. Of course I don't stop on main roads where there is a lot of traffic, or near signals/intersections.

Btw, it is indeed illegal to take a call while you are stationary in traffic, i.e. even at a red signal.
Old 7th December 2009, 12:26   #37
BHPian

I have started putting my mobile phone in silent mode while driving. Period.

If I see a report from any authority *( ARAI, Govt. Of India, FAA and so on) saying that listening to music (ICE) is dangerous for driving, I'll stop listening to music. Period.

For me it is better to drive safely ( for oneself and even more importantly for others who break rules) than to speak on the phone or listen to music*.

Period.

Regards
Old 7th December 2009, 12:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
Isn't is easier to just stop and take the call? I never take a call while driving.[i] I see the person who is calling, and if it some family member or important person (read manager :P) then I pull over and take the call as it might be something important.[/I] If it is a friend, I just call back later on. Of course if my wife is with me, I ask to attend the call at all times.
In the bold, you said that you see who is calling, it means your eyes are not on road but on mobile for fraction of second. isn't it unsafe for you and others?
It is easier to stop and take the call but question is where will you stop in city traffic?
Switching off mobile or keeping it in silent mode or taking the call while driving depends upon person to person and need of time and urgency.
It is always wiser to be alert on Indian road particularly in city.
In Germany or any other place, it may be legal to talk on mobile while driving but conditions in India are totally different.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 7th December 2009 at 12:44.
Old 7th December 2009, 12:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

Wonder all the cops are following the rule strictly - and what is the correct/proper rule in relation with mobile usage while driving or having it in the pocket (with the person in the driver seat)?

Sometime back when I was driving, I have seen there was some checking was going on and many cops were on the road, stoping all the cars coming from only one direction. My initial impression was that they may be checking either the DL or car documents. Then one cop who came to my car asked me to take the mobile from my pocket. My mobile was not in my pocket that time which I showed to him ( I normally keep the mobile down box - between the gear lever and the handbrake), he then told me to go. I didnt ask why he asked this question.

What could be the reason for this - some othe cops (previous junction or traffic signal) might have noticed some one talking on the mobile while driving but failed to notice the car number who might have reported this to other cops by wireless set? But cannot understand how they can catch one just seeing the mobile if it is in the persons pocket?

Since no harm to me I never thought of this incident again.

Last edited by nairrk : 7th December 2009 at 13:00. Reason: correction
Old 7th December 2009, 12:54   #40
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I saw this ad for the first time yesterday on TV
A smart young chap sitting in office playing with a Radio Controlled Car zooming around here and there. Lots of his colleagues watching him and the car etc.
Suddenly his phone rings and he shifts concentration to answer it and speaks into the phone.
One can literally see his attention wander between the RC Car and the caller on the phone and then the car goes here and there narrowly missing a couple of obstacles etc.
AND THEN SUDDENLY with a resounding crash of breaking glass the car has a serious prang and comes to rest upside down on its roof!!!
The gist is that apparently talking on ones mobile while driving increase risk of accident by 400%!!
This is not small and frankly it is not worth it at all.

I would only like to ask here whether they have made it illegal to use the foll or not:

1: Handsfree Headphones
2: Blue Tooth Headsets
3:Handsfree CarPhone Kits which work through the speakers.

And if these rules are clear, then, are they being strictly enforced here in Bangalore?

Why I ask is that even this morning I saw a biker struggling to answer his phone while riding in traffic - he was wriggling about most uncomfortably and was weaving quite a bit - I gave him an extremely wide berth I can tell you! Two traffic cops indeed saw all these antics but did absolutely nothing about it!
Old 7th December 2009, 12:57   #41
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

tell you the truth my friend even on highways I actually prefer listening to my engine sound than music. except for occasional stretches when I feel like music, my system is usually OFF.

Mobile phone- Silent. Better to take all calls once I get to my destination OR make my wife answer the phone when I am driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
I have started putting my mobile phone in silent mode while driving. Period.

If I see a report from any authority *( ARAI, Govt. Of India, FAA and so on) saying that listening to music (ICE) is dangerous for driving, I'll stop listening to music. Period.

For me it is better to drive safely ( for oneself and even more importantly for others who break rules) than to speak on the phone or listen to music*.

Period.

Regards
Old 7th December 2009, 23:29   #42
Senior - BHPian

Policemen are not too interested in 2-wheelers or cyclists talking on their phones as 2-wheelers can dodge them and cyclists never pay fines. Cars on the other hand are easy pickings. Especially now that Using a mobile is a non bailable offense. When my friend was caught while attending a call from the hospital, he just handed over the Rs.500 as the cop threatened to take him to jail.
By the way, are cyclists allowed to use bluetooth handsfree sets? I often use one while cycling.
Old 8th December 2009, 19:37   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
In the bold, you said that you see who is calling, it means your eyes are not on road but on mobile for fraction of second. isn't it unsafe for you and others?
It is easier to stop and take the call but question is where will you stop in city traffic?
Switching off mobile or keeping it in silent mode or taking the call while driving depends upon person to person and need of time and urgency.
It is always wiser to be alert on Indian road particularly in city.
In Germany or any other place, it may be legal to talk on mobile while driving but conditions in India are totally different.
I completely agree to what you have said. Even a fractional distraction is unsafe and dangerous. I would say it is as dangerous as switching on or adjusting the A/C, or changing the radio channel/CD track. However, I do use my discretion to see who is calling. I pick up the phone without taking my eyes off the road and I bring it up to my steering to see who it is and then I place it back in the cradle. In case I am travelling at high speeds, or on crowded streets, or in dense traffic, then I never lift the phone. I wait for the correct opportunity and pull over and then see who had called. If I don't need to call the person back, then I continue on my way.

Its your own wish to switch off the mobile, but I don't agree with the second part. No matter what, and especially not when there is something urgent and your senses are not with you, you should not talk while driving. It is dangerous for the driver and the others on the road.

And if one is unable to find a safe place to pull over, then that is their bad luck and they should continue on till they find such a place. But that is no excuse to start yakking away on the phone while driving.
Old 8th December 2009, 23:42   #44
Senior - BHPian

Agreed. But how is using a handsfree more distracting than say changing a radio station or chatting with your co-passenger?
Old 19th December 2009, 13:27   #45
BHPian

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Lads,

Yesterday I was booked ( rightly so) by the Mumbai Traffic Police while I was using my mobile ( was finishing my call when the traffic police saw me and asked me to park by the side) on JVLR, Mumbai.

I gave up my driving licence on demand and received a Form L, which says that I should report to the Andheri Court on a specific date.I have never believed in 'paying off' a government servant and on this occasion waited patiently till he examined my licence, noted down my car's registration no. and also my mobile no., before handing me the challan ( Form 'L' TEM).

As per this Form 'L' TEM, I have been booked for the offence of 250 (A) 177 MVA. On enquiry the policeman told me that nowadays all drivers booked for using their mobiles while driving are to go to the court and retrieve their licences.

I felt so bad about violating the law that I didn't ask for further details.

Can anyone here help by informing me about the process from here onwards?

Regards
Lads,

Yesterday was my day in the Andheri court. I was to present myself at 8 am. When I reached the court at 8 am, I found it deserted. A little while later, as laywers started trickling in, quite a few approached me and started offering their services. I realised then that although I could go solo in the court but it might be quicker to have a lawyer. So I got hold of one one who went to the clerk to fish out my paper ( my licence with the form filled by the Mumbai traffic police at the time of the challan) and had it placed for presentation before the judge. He also filled up a very simple form (a chargesheet) and presented it to the (other) clerk at the court.

Separately the lawyer told me that the range of penalty would be from Rs 100/- to Rs 2000/- depending upon the gravity of the violation and the discretion of the judge. He also told me that once the penalty is paid by me, I would be given a receipt, which has to be presented by me after about 15 days at the RTO from where I had got my driving licence. 15 days!

We sat for the judge to appear. The lawyer asked for his fees- I paid him Rs 500 as I wasn't sure of any other complexities in the process. The judge appeared at about 9 am and the court was in session. After a dozen cases (non traffic related) were disposed off with pronouncements by the judge on penalties and jail terms, the traffic violation cases were presented.

In my case, the judge pronounced a penalty of Rs 300/-. I paid the money in cash to a police clerk. It was over in a flash. But being in the company of scruffy individuals was not a good experience at all.

The receipt for the penalty was to be given by the cashier who would come at 11 am after all the penalties levied in the court since morning were handed over by the police clerk receiving the money from traffic violators.

I got the receipt ( with my name spelt wrongly!) and with a RT No. scrawled across the Form 'L' TEM. On its back was a traffic police Worli.

I found from the lawyer and the clerk ( the first one) that all driving licences are sent to the Worli Traffic Police office,and from there the licences are sent to the respective ('home') RTOs from where they were issued in the first place.

[That's why I will be getting my licence after about 15 days from paying the penalty. I suspect that the Worli office enters these offences/violations in some database.This is not a bad thing, only that they should manage the database properly, if at all.]

So , I will have to go to my 'home' RTO on 4th January anytime between 10 am till 6 pm to get my DL. My lawyer also told me that one reason why they have created this complicated procedure is to hold back/suspend licences of serious/habitual offenders. I could go a little earlier also, which I will. Meanwhile I retain the Form L and the receipt in lieu of my licence.

Another important point : I walked upto a traffic policeman in the court ( he seemed to be senior enough - perhaps an inspector) and asked him about the law pertaining to mobile phones. It is these people who apply the law and it was important for me to get the law at first hand.

This is what I got :

1. Using a mobile while driving is illegal
2. Handsfree is illegal ( wired)
3. Using a mobile in a stationary car, on the side of the road is illegal
4. He wasn't sure about steering wheel phone controls

Finally he spelt out the law :
Use of the mobile phone by the person at the wheel is illegal under all circumstances

Now that I have had this experience, I will do the following :

A. When alone in the car, keep the mobile in silent mode ( switched off is best but I might miss some important calls that way).
B. When alone in the car, keep the mobile in the glove box.
C. Give the mobile phone to a passenger, if not alone.

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 19th December 2009 at 13:33. Reason: Corrections made.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks