Team-BHP - Bangalore Elevated Tollway
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Bangalore Elevated Tollway (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/74007-bangalore-elevated-tollway-10.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 1698773)
You're referring to the exit towards the left side on Hosur road, right?
I was referring to the side which leads towards Timken, HP and Ottera. Wonder why they didnt fathom an exit to this side.

Yep, its this exit that's wide enough to handle the 2 Rush hour's!!!:Frustrati

Once toll starts, I feel the jam will extend till Gate.1/2 Infy (about half a KM)!!

Monthly pass application form attached. There is security deposit for getting Onboard Unit & Smart Card and conditions attached to looks interesting!
Application_Form.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdon (Post 1698770)
:rules:you broke one... the max speed limit is 80 and you were 90+:D

Thats what happens dude when you drive a Swift with the free revving G13BB on a highway :Cheering:
Not to mention the excellent road. :)

Been on the elevated Expressway today evening and found lots of bikes & cars parked on the lay-bye and people taking snaps. Felt like a tourist place. While coming from Electronics city found a tata sumo with BETL label parked in lay-bye & didnot allow any vehicle to park in lay-bye.
Even on a National holiday the traffic was normal and not empty as expected.
Few photos over the way:
Entrance to the Toll Road (elevated express way) seems to be confusing.

I doubt how many are going to use the road when toll comes in place. Is there any guideline for implementing toll charges by NHAI? Rs 30/- for 7.4 km (towards silk board):Shockked:, is very high, I wish it should have been 15 for one way, 25 for both ways :D

took a drive along the elevated road on Republic Day - just a trip upto Electronic City Exit - U turn and back again along the elevated road upto the descent near Silk Board. no toll paid yet because it appears that the toll booths are not yet functioning. they are also badly designed which will cause long queues in waiting.

The elevated road is a good thing. However, the quality of the road surface could certainly have been better considering the amount of time they took to build it. Effectively it has only the 4 lanes - and narrow 4 lanes at that - I think they should have thought it through a bit more and made it at least a 6 lane elevated highway.

Further, many cars, bikes and small trucks/ vans were hogging the fast lane making it difficult to navigate. there was also a water tank tractor which was parked in the middle of the fast lane on the way back, watering the plants in the centre. this is downright dangerous.

the exit point towards Hosur opens out on a nice wide road but converging traffic from the lower road will most certainly cause a bottleneck at that point, going forward.

the re-entry point near Silk board opens out onto the main Hosur Road towards Bangalore but this is MOST DEFINITELY going to become one of the worst bottlenecks we will face - because all the buses, lorries and other heavy traffic from the lower roads converge exactly there. There is invariably going to be a jam while getting under the Silk board flyover going towards HSR Layout and/ or BTM side.

Typical of our chaps, we dont seem to be able to foresee the levels of traffic and the ever-dynamic needs of the public!

Having said all these negative things above, at least, something is better than nothing and now to a small extent at least, the electronic cuty regular commuters woes will get a little bit alleviated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 1703169)
However, the quality of the road surface could certainly have been better considering the amount of time they took to build it.

And hence the need for maintenance contracts :D
Welcome to India :D

I have been using elevated way for the last 3 days

Here are my observations:
-Narrow lanes
-Average road surface quality
-Expected a huge traffic pile up at electronics city in the morning and silk board in the evening, but no big problem faced till today
- Trucks and bikes on fast lane
- Over speeding - Mostly Indicab/Sumo/Scorpio/Swifts
- No lane discipline/use of turn indicators - When are we going to improve??. Today a Verna came to my lane without proper signaling came dangerously close to my car. I used my Stebel(TM80:-)) to convey the message to the driver. I think he got it and shown some discipline till electronics city. Most of these idiots are highly educated IT employees,why to blame taxi drivers alone!!

But driving to electronics city has become easier now. I'll take the normal road in the evening and see the traffic and decide whether to pay and use the tollway or not.

According to me 3-4 six lane flyover at intersections could have solved the issue than wasting 800 crores.

Whatever, Congratulation to the whole team involved to make it happen.

I drove on the Elevated Expressway today. (Normally use the office van, but decided to take a free joy ride on the expressway before the toll gates become operational)

The road was really tempting, it was very difficult to maintain a speed of 80 kmph on that road. The car and the road were begging for more speed. :D

I don't understand why we need those potted plants on the Expressway. The water tank tractor which waters these plants hogs the fast lane and is an accident waiting to happen. Somehow these morons always have to water the plants exactly during peak hours (5 PM). :Frustrati

Rohan

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohan_iitr (Post 1703258)
II don't understand why we need those potted plants on the Expressway. The water tank tractor which waters these plants hogs the fast lane and is an accident waiting to happen. Somehow these morons always have to water the plants exactly during peak hours (5 PM).

Secondary reason to watering during peak hour is to control the vehicle flow I believe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latheesh (Post 1703205)
-Average road surface quality
-Expected a huge traffic pile up at electronics city in the morning and silk board in the evening, but no big problem faced till today

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 1703169)
However, the quality of the road surface could certainly have been better considering the amount of time they took to build it.

I am not able to understand why you guys thought the quality of road surface was not good.

Jaggu and myself found it to be very good. You know the surface is good if the road noise reduces and when you have a tough time maintaining the speed limit of 80km/hr.

80km/hr feels like 50ish as there is no road noise whatsoever. It is very smooth with no undulations. Even the expansion joints are even.

i was doing a comfortable 60-70-80 kmph on the emptier stretches of the elevated highway in the Scorpio - it was around 930am on R Day morning. Went upto 100 while accelerating to overtake a half-witted M800 who was hogging the fast lane.
On the way back an audi Q7 passed us - he must have been doing 110 at least, but owing to the water truck, he came to a rather abrupt-ish halt just a little later!

Despite the relatively early hour on a holiday, there were several clod-bikers, dunder-head car drivers and imbecilic little trucks hogging the fast lane. For one thing, this is dangerous and for another thing, going forward, this will most definitely cause an overhead clog-up.

In addition, I feel the toll booths are not as well designed as could be - there are bound to be pressure and long queues going forward, which will effectively eat up the time that one hopes to save, by using the elevated road.

why I feel the road surface could have been better is because each time we went over a "section-joint" I could distinctly hear and feel the repeated "thud-thud" sound.

In comparison with, say, the Flyovers constructed by L&T on the Bangalore-Madras Road, frankly our dear elevated highway pales into insignificance in terms of sheer quality. This is only my opinion though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid6639 (Post 1703277)
I am not able to understand why you guys thought the quality of road surface was not good.

Jaggu and myself found it to be very good. You know the surface is good if the road noise reduces and when you have a tough time maintaining the speed limit of 80km/hr.

80km/hr feels like 50ish as there is no road noise whatsoever. It is very smooth with no undulations. Even the expansion joints are even.

Saw below news on today's Times of India:

Enjoy the free ride as long as it lasts!
No Date Fixed For Toll Collection Yet

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Bangalore: Bangaloreans can continue to enjoy the butter-smooth elevated expressway to Electronic City for the next two weeks, without paying toll.
Though toll collection to ride on the expressway, that was thrown open to the public last week, at the five plazas was slated to begin next week, they are yet to start operating.
Sources told TOI that construction and testing of the plazas will be done next week. National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) officials said they are going to hold a meeting in a couple of days and the starting date of toll collection will be notified accordingly.
Right now, the 9.5-km stretch from Central Silk Board to Electronic City and Attibele takes 8 to 10 minutes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 1703347)
why I feel the road surface could have been better is because each time we went over a "section-joint" I could distinctly hear and feel the repeated "thud-thud" sound.

That will happen on any flyover. Remember it is 2 sections and they do not touch each other.

Try the mysore road bridge or the 2 bridges near KR puram and you will see how well this design is.

The road quality is truly very smooth and only issues is the narrow width IMO.

cool
indeed i ve been up and down all those flyovers - and the super separator at hebbal as well. just thought this one being brand new, they may have found some way of reducing the difference between the two surfaces which are joined. yes the narrow flyover width is a limitation. wish they had thought 6 lane at inception stage itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid6639 (Post 1703485)
That will happen on any flyover. Remember it is 2 sections and they do not touch each other.

Try the mysore road bridge or the 2 bridges near KR puram and you will see how well this design is.

The road quality is truly very smooth and only issues is the narrow width IMO.