Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2010, 11:40   #16
BHPian

Much like aaggoswami, I'm not shocked. Some scenes I have witnessed

- 5 people on two wheels. 2 kids in front of dad on the tank, one kind in between dad and mom

- 3 Adults in a TVS XL. Two on seat and one was sitting on the footboard

- 6 people on two wheels. 5 same as above and one kid on mom's lap and mom is struggling to hold the kid

- 2 kids along with dad where one kid is sitting on dad's shoulder (I'm not kidding) hamepring his visibilty now and then.

Would these people change ? NO, because, they don't even KNOW what they're doing.Period.

God save these people and other innocent drivers impacted by them.
Old 4th March 2010, 11:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
I know that is not a good idea. But circumstances are making me to do it. But now things have changed. Luckily there is a school van now. So I am off with this thing of carrying on a bike and I am very relieved.
Shishir,

My daughter too loves to go to school on the bike. But its helmet, back seat and a leisurely crawl to school

Ride safe!!

Rohit
Old 4th March 2010, 12:06   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Most cases the offender will ask you to mind your own business.
Mostly, such people know that the child will suffer severe injuries if the brakes have to be applied in an emergency situation. If they are prepared to take such risks, well, who is to be blamed ? The government or manufacturers ? Unless there is a will to change, nothing can be done.
Typical 'It will not happen to me' attitude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1)

Never ever try to give your piece of mind. I had earlier tried that, but in return got a scolding from the person. A child was sitting in grand fahter's lap in Accord ( latest generation ). GrandFather was not wearing seatbelt. I knocked on his window at traffic junction ( Dr. Ambedkar Statue, GEB, RC dutt road, vadodara ) and told him he was making mistake.
Reply to me was " I have worked hard all my life. I got this success later in my life. I have seen this world more than you. You are just a kid trying to act smart. dont teach me. I am 65 years old..." His lecture lasted 20 mins. He proved that I am a failure as compared to him.

In another instance, I tried to inform parents going on Boxer that its wrong if their child less than 16 years old is riding Scooty. Mom and Dad on Boxer, 13-14 year old son riding scooty, around 16-17 year old daughter riding pillion on scooty. They all were going to restaurant. Got a huge lecture again and this time it was tuitions. I told him that I did cycling for entire std 10 even if my father could have easily afforded a vehicle. Its was 12 km, almost daily. Nobody had time to listen to me.

Stay away from these people and dont try to change them. If you try to do so, they feel you are actually decreasing their smartness and dont want them to come up in life.
Yep, have never seen such incidents, so next time i see i better ignore and not try to be responsible
Old 4th March 2010, 12:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never ever try to give your piece of mind. I had earlier tried that, but in return got a scolding from the person.

Nobody had time to listen to me.

Stay away from these people and dont try to change them. If you try to do so, they feel you are actually decreasing their smartness and dont want them to come up in life.
Couldn't agree more; the base fact remains that no one likes to hear advice & hate people who advice.

Like you said, I used to do my Son on my laps & drive about 2 years back on empty stretches in highway & midnights; I used to feel that I'm showing off my driving skills, the pride of owning a car & proud Father (not responsible though!!!).

Now I've a very strong feeling that I know to drive very well & I don't need to prove that to anyone & most importantly I visualize the outcome of coming back home alive without any headaches on the road for everyd drive/ride that I make. So I kind of avoid doing any "out of normal" activities.
Old 4th March 2010, 12:15   #20
BHPian

A few months back, In 100 ft road, chennai, there was a bike going in front of me
and i saw a little leg on the petrol tank. When we stopped at the signal, it was his his 3-4 years old sleeping on the petrol tank when he's riding the bike.

To say 'i was shocked' was an understatement, it was almost mid day, usual traffic and this idiot was risking the life of a baby.

There are many such morons who do not value their life as well as others.

There is another usual scene which i see almost regularly near my son's school. The kid will be standing on his fathers' bicycle center bar with his arm around his father's neck for support. The father has the kids' school bag, lunch bag on his shoulder and will be riding the bicycle. Gad save them from not tripping / falling.

Last edited by ikoneer : 4th March 2010 at 12:22.
Old 4th March 2010, 12:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Boss your post ^^ gave me cramps in the stomach!
Old 4th March 2010, 12:36   #22
BHPian

I have seen family of 4 sharing on a half dead scooter, but the above is really sick.

People tend to bring out their mental blocks on the road, their manic behaviour, their low self esteem bursting out to prove the impossible thereby endangering life of innocent motorists who follow traffic rules.

If it is due to financial constraints and if they choose to travel in 3s is somewhat pardonable, but if its a stunt, they should not be spared and heavily fined. Other thing I have witnessed is that people who stunt and even after hurting an innocent pedestrian or morotist, when a cop stops him, he/she will impose the influence of some corporator, or some ex-mla or some criminal mp and get away with respect earned due to the gundaism done a moment back.

The above mentioned is not my owned hatched opera, I see it in Surat almost everytime, one stuntmen even slapped a traffic police for stopping him because he was riding his bike with hands on his head in peak traffic. It was reported in Sandesh Newspaper on pg 7.

And yes, as AagGoswami said we are at fault if we try correcting them. The Accord guy also has a mental block, the grandfather himself confessed that he has worked all his life, suddenly earned a fortune and is enjoying rule braking !
Old 4th March 2010, 12:39   #23
BANNED

Those pictures send a chill down my spine. I dont know how many here have a kid that age but I have a son who is 2 years and thinking about doing something like that to your own kid is so shocking.

I get scared watching my son standing on a chair forget doing something like that.

My heart goes out to that innocent kid in the pictures.
Old 4th March 2010, 14:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Boss your post ^^ gave me cramps in the stomach!
Oh!!! C'mon Prince; its a quite common scene that I see in suburbs everyday; atleast he's witnessed one child sleeping; here're some that I've come across
- A family of four that has (converted a TVS-50 to Tata Sumo) their youngest son of about 10 years sitting in the V shaped frame of TVS-50; I can only pity them & Thank God for providing me a better life
- A family of 5 & the youngest one sleeping on the tank & the daughter in the rear most position clinging (like a baby monkey holding its mother) to her Mother.
- Horror story - a family of 3 with the infant, yes infant about 6-8 months & the lady in the rear talking happily over the mobile & holding the infant in the other hand; all the more the moron riding on Kinetic Honda trying to keep up pace with others (like Rx100, R15, Pulsars) on the road & not to mention the smoke coming out this scooter reminded me the war field tank
Old 4th March 2010, 14:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Oh!!! C'mon Prince;
I meant how can anybody sleep on the tank. Were the roads so smooth . Yeah, but I get the point. Maximum, I've seen is, a kid on the footboard/motorcycle tank and a kid behind dangling from the mother's hand. Even that is painful. Giving control to a kid is plain stupid.
And before flaming Indian parents, get this:

In one of the Nat Geo programs (Air crash Investigations) there was an
episode where the pilot's family was also travelling.
They were let inside after sometime in the air (at night) and the
father (the pilot) decided to give the kid a feel of the real thing.

The plane banked sharp right (maybe left) and in the sequences that
followed, the plane went out of control.

So plain (plane) stupidity is common everywhere!
Old 4th March 2010, 14:49   #26
BHPian

Indeed I am also not surprised seeing those photos.

I am surprised at people in the forum getting surprised after seeing those photo assuming all the the member who replied are Indians or at least born n brought in India.

I think the Least safety precaution/poise/no of passenger on a 2 wheeler is directly proportional to the level of moronic riding by the rider.
More the number of passenger, higher the moronic riding. A rider without helmet(or helmet hanging on his elbow) will be more rash than a person with his helmet on.

I see a biker with full protective gear, gloves, proper helmet etc. on a bike with proper disc brakes always driving properly and sensibly.

Forget that, I have seen people with their full famly of 4 on a TVS victor with no helmet and driving like crazy. They tend to change their lanes without any signal (or mostly they ride in the fast lane), you honk and you get a 'you idiot' look from the whole family. Why they dont understand that I honked for their safety.

Or does he feels that if I hit him I am at the receiving end?? Its just a matter of few thousand to get the tinkering done on my car. For him it may be a non-recoverable loss.

Not everyone is a member of Team Bhp.
Old 4th March 2010, 15:14   #27
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1)
GrandFather was not wearing seatbelt. I knocked on his window at traffic junction ( Dr. Ambedkar Statue, GEB, RC dutt road, vadodara ) and told him he was making mistake.
His lecture lasted 20 mins. He proved that I am a failure as compared to him.
20 mins lecture at a traffic junction is too much. Didn't the vehicles behind you people honk like mad? How can he prove that you are a failure. Him talking rubbish to show his superiority clearly shows he's still and will always be a failure. Success doesn't come in sitting in a swanky car mouthing rubbish.
I've seen morons like this. I yell loudly to my co-passenger (instead of advicing the perpetrators) nowadays. Something on the lines like -
Dekh. 10 lakh ka gaadi khareedega. Magar saala seat belt nahin pehnega. Aur upar se bete ko godh pe bitayega. Kya dakkan log hai re.
Then nonchalantly drive away.
This has worked for me well especially when elder women are the perpetrators. I've seen people immediately grabbing a seat-belt.
Old 4th March 2010, 15:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

@aaggoswami, Amazing dude. I cannot believe that you had that much of patience of waiting for him to finish the whole tuition. Frankly speaking if any other guy was in that state, he would have left the scene when these guys started to talk. But we have to admire you for the patience and the enlightenment you wanted to give them
Old 4th March 2010, 18:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
20 mins lecture at a traffic junction is too much. Didn't the vehicles behind you people honk like mad? How can he prove that you are a failure. Him talking rubbish to show his superiority clearly shows he's still and will always be a failure. Success doesn't come in sitting in a swanky car mouthing rubbish.
I've seen morons like this. I yell loudly to my co-passenger (instead of advicing the perpetrators) nowadays. Something on the lines like -
Dekh. 10 lakh ka gaadi khareedega. Magar saala seat belt nahin pehnega. Aur upar se bete ko godh pe bitayega. Kya dakkan log hai re.
Then nonchalantly drive away.
This has worked for me well especially when elder women are the perpetrators. I've seen people immediately grabbing a seat-belt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
@aaggoswami, Amazing dude. I cannot believe that you had that much of patience of waiting for him to finish the whole tuition. Frankly speaking if any other guy was in that state, he would have left the scene when these guys started to talk. But we have to admire you for the patience and the enlightenment you wanted to give them
The incidnet happened on a T junction. Both of us were to go straight. If one turns right from this junction, RC dutt road, popularly known as Alkapuri, starts. So we were on the left side of the road. What happens is that those who want to go straight get green signal earlier, but for those who have to go right on RC Dutt road, waiting time is more. This is generally well known to almost all in Vadodara.

After the argument started, the traffic cops asked us to get a bit ahead and talk. There are lot of stalls just after the junction and this is where we stopped. The junction is full of people who think that helmet is useless, kids need a motorized two wheeler since std. 8th, etc.
This is where actually I was trying to tell him that Accord will not save his grand child. Me being a bit inexpressive and straight talk person, I told him this clearly. The resultant was that he became more agressive and asked the crowd to teach me how to talk with elders and successful person, how to drive, etc. He was keen on calling my father to talk with him about this.
I will attach an image for better understanding.

In another incidence, there was a small kid, may be 8-10 month old daughter of a hero. She was sitting on tank of a bike when the hero tried to take a U turn while talking on mobile. Now, he had his side stand enganged ( not returned to its parking position ) and behind him a couple of busses ( one state transport and other private travels ) were there. He slowed down too much while taking turn, and before that I told him about his side stand. I was standing there as the A.S. Motor service center was not opened in early morning at around 8:30 am. I screamed at him for side stand and suddenly he took turn. He lost balance and fell off. Fortunately, his daughther's head hit his leg and he had put his hand on the kid. Later on after the usual drama of Indian public, he came to me and said that as I informed him about side stand he lost balance.
I was almost beaten by his " suddenly well wisher " friend ( means general public ). Since that day, I never tell anyone about his side stand not properly tucked away. I thought that those having cars have sense.

As of now, no further teaching for those who are not ready to hear anything good. All these years I gave my best shot to raise awareness, but no good result. Even one of my best friend is not using helmet while riding. He will not use seatbelt unless he pays fine. First he will use contacts and if that fails he will try to pay bribe. If that fails too, he will pay fine. For one month, he will wear belt and there after " I am a safe driver, so I dont need belts ".
I have used a lot of energy and time to improve awareness, but its almost meaningless. Discipline must flow in blood, discipline cannot be forced. If discipline is forced, the effect will not last long.
Attached Thumbnails
India- World No 1 In Road Fatalities. This is probably why!-tbhpaccord.jpg  

Old 4th March 2010, 19:17   #30
MX6
Senior - BHPian

You still missed the point there. goswami. Why waste your 20 mins talking to an idiot? Had I know this guys attitude in defending his ignorance belligerently, I'd have just threw an abuse and driven away. I reserve real good abuses for the people who try to teach me "how to talk".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks