Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 15:33   #46
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
A fake Gun that could scare off these people ?
Fake gun against a mob that might have a real gun procured illegally? It might provoke them to shoot and scuttle.

Just mentioning this as a couple of days back car theives shot dead a 25 year old techie in Gurgaon.
Old 26th November 2010, 02:33   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Ever since I started reading about these incidents, I have been carrying Pepper spray in my car and I have given one to my wife to carry in her handbag. Hopefully, I don't have to use it ever, but I am ready if i have to.
In a car the pepper spray needs to be handy in the drivers/passengers door pocket and not in the handbag. It defeats the very purpose of having one when you actually have to search for it in a ladies handbag, trust me, you would be celebrating your 1st death anniversary before you find the can.(no offense to the ladies in the house)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

jaysmokesleaves,

1. What is a WD40?
2. Any suggestions for arming oneself? Are you suggesting something like a hockey stick?

Regards, drive safe
Sorry guys.. correction. Typo error. I meant lighter fluid can, or any flammable fluid in the form of a spray that ignites. Jog your brain on how to use it, I have to use discretion on a public forum. Point being , it has to be handy and not in your tool kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
It is not advisable to carry a weapon, even in the form of a hockey stick. I think the best bet would be something like a pepper spray.

[/url]
It is always advisable to carry a weapon. At best it serves as a deterrent to buy time to think and act even if you dont know how to use it. I think(not sure) as per indian law, carrying a blade upto a max of 6" is permitted. Besides, how is the law going to stop anyone from carrying a basic kitchen knife or even a fork for that matter, for safety. A topaz blade is my all time favorite. THE most discreet portable weapon to carry on person.

Quote:
Sounds good, but you might just get shot with a real one, fairly easily available nowadays, wat with all the newspaper reports of local handmade arms being sold openly in central & northern states.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 26th November 2010 at 02:36.
Old 26th November 2010, 09:34   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
In a car the pepper spray needs to be handy in the drivers/passengers door pocket and not in the handbag. It defeats the very purpose of having one when you actually have to search for it in a ladies handbag, trust me, you would be celebrating your 1st death anniversary before you find the can.(no offense to the ladies in the house)
Ofcourse, I have a can in the car where i can reach it immediately. I was talking about another can of Pepperspray for my wife when she is travelling by bus or an auto. Keeping it in the Handbag is the only option during that time. Not everyone travels on a car all the time .
Old 26th November 2010, 12:05   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Hmm. An auto retracting touch sensitive driver side window is counter productive in this case. The mugger will get advantage of a fully open window!
Yup , so its better that you only lower your window to 1/4 of the total length .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjabraham View Post
Hey, good to know you and your girl were unhurt in the incident. Well, reading such innumerable events on TBhp gets me thinking, what has this world come to! I am getting really paranoid reading all these. Faced with such situations I can only pray that God gives me the presence of mind to overcome it.
I think its a default " defense " mode in us , instinct is what i would say .
but also depends on how quickly you can react to things .

As a kid i had learnt a bit of Karate / boxing , tough i have forgot all the Katas , guess the reflexes stayed .

The world was always bad buddy , its just getting worse ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakky88 View Post
Last night, me along with my friends went for a night drive along Mysore road. We spent a while in Cafe Coffee day and started back to Bangalore by 3.30 am. The road was free and good cool breeze, I cruised along the highway in 80 kmph. I reached a particular section where the road was dark, no street lights. Its was a 3 lane road , I was driving in the middle lane. I was targeted with a brick , I guess its a big stone , it hit the driver's seat door.. The impact was so high.. It was like a bullet striking the car, bullet with 5 inch radius.. :( My pulse rate rose up and it took an hour for me to become normal.

My friends spotted a Maruti Omni exactly after the 50-100 meters from where I was hit.. Some one hiding inbetween the bushes had targeted us.. It was a very planned act..

My black swift was left with a big dent and stracthes of about 25 cms length.. Those ruthless idiots spoilled my day. I take care of my car so much and rogues like these they frustrate to the core..

My friends asked to pull over .. I knew that was a bad idea and their intention for doing so is for us to pull over and they could have a chance..

I am really getting worried and it turns out to be an unsafe place to live in ..
Woah ...!

This could have lead to a major accident , which was the spot exactly ..?
i frequesnt this route at all god forsaken hours .

Well if you had 3 ~ 4 guys you could have done a u turn ahead and after putting a safe distance , started to honk innesently, and try to barge towards them to intimidate them , this would have scared them enough to run .
[ I would have gotten gone after them if there were no ladies in the car , and if i had a couple of fellas with me ]

maybe you could have noted down their car reg number and filed a case , nonetheless IMO you should have filed a case , if nothing it might eb another case in a long list of pending cases . but when the number goes high they would atleast send out patrol cars / bikes now & then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
thanks for the heads up. ordered one pepper spray already. better have some sort of defence.
Trust me , if nothing it will give you peace of mind , keep it handy in the door pockets .

Quote:
Ever since I started reading about these incidents, I have been carrying Pepper spray in my car and I have given one to my wife to carry in her handbag. Hopefully, I don't have to use it ever, but I am ready if i have to.
Hopefully buddy , really hopefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

jaysmokesleaves,

1. What is a WD40?
2. Any suggestions for arming oneself? Are you suggesting something like a hockey stick?

Regards, drive safe
I would personally suggest a baseball bat , contemplating on buying one .

Quote:
Not a great idea , if they get enraged and try to stand ground , and call your bluff , you are Done ...

Quote:
Ofcourse, I have a can in the car where i can reach it immediately. I was talking about another can of Pepperspray for my wife when she is travelling by bus or an auto. Keeping it in the Handbag is the only option during that time. Not everyone travels on a car all the time .
True , if any auto driver / jerk misbehaves she can pepper spray him , it perfectly legal self defense .
at least bit would disorient the attackers for half hour .

Trust me , i have tried that stuff .....

[ Spray near me , not even into my face or smt : @ 10 Feet ]

Eyes burn for 30 minutes , cough like helll , eyes water .. breathing becomes difficult + you cant see .

By this time you can punch kick et al at the attacker .

but you need to cover / turn your face away before you spray .
Old 19th July 2011, 15:03   #50
BHPian

Re: An attempted mugging @ chamundi Hill Mysore : Punto takes hits from a Dagger .

Your tire iron, a long handled screw driver, are already present in the car...just keep em near you. Any spray in the eyes will buy you the time that you need, think deo, perfume etc. Your vehicle is also a weapon, don't worry about stains think of your life. Car keys can be jabbed into soft areas of the body, you must get the first guy so hard that the others run.

Regards,

Chaunfa
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:55   #51
BHPian

Re: An attempted mugging @ chamundi Hill Mysore : Punto takes hits from a Dagger .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunfa View Post
Your tire iron, a long handled screw driver, are already present in the car...just keep em near you. Any spray in the eyes will buy you the time that you need, think deo, perfume etc. Your vehicle is also a weapon, don't worry about stains think of your life. Car keys can be jabbed into soft areas of the body, you must get the first guy so hard that the others run.

Regards,

Chaunfa
Well i will keep this in mind, for next time ....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks