Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 15:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
If I'm at fault, I wouldn't leave the spot unless it is resolved; because I don't know how the other person would react after going home.
Be the gentle man, get out and first look at other parties damage and tell them its your fault, and you are ready to pay up, and ask him if he wants to use his insurance, else pay up 100% no negotiations. The situation usually gets out of hand when both the parties tyr blaming each other, if you diplomatically handle the situation and make the other party understand that you are owning up the mistake and are ready to do the need ful there is no need to fight, but again there are some bad people who will try to exploit your genorosity, to them go to the workshop get the bill and then pay. Remember its going to work only if you act diplomatically.

But remember there are people like clevermax who will still come and hit you so always better stand a hand/leg's distance away

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 18th May 2010 at 15:29.
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2010, 15:32   #17
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Do not try to solve the issue at the spot if you want peace of mind. if a guy volenteers to pay ask him to give you his name and number,if he pays well and good, if he doesent pay then keep your cool, after all its just money, your peace of mind is more important.
Pramod
Agreed pramod, but the incident I reported has huge damages. Friend had to pay out close to 1.5 lakhs for repairs. It's not the 1.5 lakhs. It's how the person uses this amazing way of extricating from sticky scenarios by agreeing to pay up and then making a U-turn.
There's a lot of things in this which makes you lose your peace of mind. First and foremost is the fact that you've been royally conned. If you let go a person from accident site just with a name and number, nothing can be done later.
And 1.5 lakhs is not a trivial amount to think, after all it is just money. I can buy a nano with that!

Quote:
But remember there are people like clevermax who will still come and hit you so always better stand a hand/leg's distance away
Pramod
One off incident doesn't mean you can create a notorious alter-ego for clevermax

Last edited by MX6 : 18th May 2010 at 15:35.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Pramod
That was hilarious

But Pramod, what you are saying takes immense will and discipline to practice. Its not easy to listen to music and cool down when a moron hits your vehicle which you take such good care of that too when its no mistake of yours.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Agreed pramod, but the incident I reported has huge damages. Friend had to pay out close to 1.5 lakhs for repairs. It's not the 1.5 lakhs. It's how the person uses this amazing way of extricating from sticky scenarios by agreeing to pay up and then making a U-turn.
There's a lot of things in this which makes you lose your peace of mind. First and foremost is the fact that you've been royally conned. If you let go a person from accident site just with a name and number, nothing can be done later.
And 1.5 lakhs is not a trivial amount to think, after all it is just money. I can buy a nano with that!
Agreed to whatever you said, one of my ex office mate was standing at a red light in his santro, suddenly a car rams his car from behind, he gets down and looks at the guy he is a young chap who was changing the song on his stereo. He says he is sorry, gives his bussiness card and goes off asking my friend to come next day with the estimate and collet the money. Smart and diplomatic guy i would say.

Second story similar to yours, my current team member gets a call from his bro that he met with an accident, since this was 200kms away from where we were so we decided to go there, upon going there we found out a bus was standing at a bus stop, this guy was behind this bus in his ikon waiting for the bus to move and suddenly a bus from rear hits him at a high speed, he is sandwiched between two buses and the car is a mess. the IDV is 2.4 lacs and the estimate is 4 lacs, the insurance is paying 1.7 lacs, though the car is a total loss. Both the bus guys along with my team member were taken to the PS, both the buses released and his car is in the Ford A S S for the last 4 months with insurance waiting for the verdict to pay up.

Parking charges are 250 a day and smart move is he has now put a case in the consumer court against the insurance guy. Just imagine the kind of stress the guy is under, it would be better to strike a deal with the insurance company and take the 1.7 lacs which for a 2003 icon 1.3 flair is a lot and look for a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
One off incident doesn't mean you can create a notorious alter-ego for clevermax !
Boss seriously, have you seen him he is huge, one slap from him will guarentee a free trip across the globe.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 18th May 2010 at 15:44.
Old 18th May 2010, 16:06   #20

I had a similar accident!

Around at 8:00 AM on BTS main road, Wilson garden, an Amul ice-cream tricycle cart jumped in-front of my brand new DZire then.
The road was almost empty and I was driving very leisurely, at less than 40 Kmph.

3 nuts were sitting on Amul ice-cream cart and trying to pedal it hard, lost balance and threw the front section in front of me. If you have seen it, the cyclist sits at the back of a large tank and there is hardly any place to allow even for one to sit comfortably.
Thank God! I was at slow speed, came to screeching halt and I thought nothing much has happened, may be few scratches!

Those three guys gave me an apologetic looks, they were looking poor and shabby - getting any money or insurance kinda were all not possible! It would have been a futile exercise.

After driving ahead, only after about 5 mins, an autowala pointed me that the front bumper was torn-off completely! I took my car to the side, and inspected: stood aghast at the sight of a ruined bumper without my mistake and feeling sad!

Must have been a bad day, I suppose!
Old 19th May 2010, 20:02   #21
BHPian

Unfortunately my Fiat Punto was rear ended today morning. I was at the traffic signal waiting it to turn green and was ahead of everyone. The signal turns green and two morons one from my right and other from the left race ahead. They both came infront of my car and were about to collide with each other as they both crossed me to be at the center of the road.

They both applied brakes right infront of me, to avoid an accident I pressed the brakes hard and a Merc right behind me bangs my car. The bikers just left as if nothing happened and I was left behind with a merc on my tail.

Since it was morning rush I moved forward, stopped the car on the side, meanhwile the merc guy also stopped. We both checked our damages talked a little as to what had happened.

I had a displaced rear bumber with lots of scratches and a deep cut and a broken rear lamp. The merc had a displaced headlight and some scratches in the front bumber.

I said there is nothing we can do, so just shook hands, wished each other and left the scene with damages.
Old 19th May 2010, 20:25   #22
BHPian

Folks, all the advice is fine but I would appreciate step-by-step instructions regarding the legal way of dealing with such a situation. In other words, what is the procedure recommended by police/insurance companies for dealing with such situations? Any other thread where this has been discussed?
Old 19th May 2010, 20:49   #23
BHPian

Getting hit from the rear happens many times.

It happened twice to me recently.

1. A Car came in the opposite side on a steep incline trying to overtake another before him and I was descending and this car comes straight at me. I had no choice but to stop. Some bike guy hits from the back and before we react, he is gone.

Now who is to blame for such incidents?
a) Biker who couldn't stop when coming down behind me
b) Car which was trying to overtake on an incline in the wrong direction

Again this time a car before me stops in Bumper to Bumper traffic for some reason and I had to stop. Auto hits my car on the rear, driver gives me a stare a goes away.

So what should we do? If we keep swearing at these guys, that will never stop and we are bound to loose concentration for the remaining part of the journey.

Just accept fate that it's not our day and forget about the incident totally. This will spare us precious amount of time atleast but will cost us dear when we service the car.
Old 19th May 2010, 22:17   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinibm View Post
Hey Guys

I was wondering, what do we actually do when the situations as described below occurs.

Why are we so dignified and act with a 'it happens attitude'.I really want to know is there anything at all we can do else just go on with life ignoring what happens on the road but if we do the same we might end up paying!
Answer is Insurance

Basically this is why they say - Buying a car is not difficult, maintaining it is..! All these unfortunate incidents count on to your maintenance.
Old 20th May 2010, 14:42   #25
BHPian

What would you people do if you were in a situation like me?

I was coming back from Mysore to Bangalore almost near Rajarajeshwari Dental College and in front of me there was a sedan(Ikon i think so) and suddenly that sedan breaked and I also rammed my brakes and stopped just 2 inches before him and saved from ramming, but the guy in a WAgonR behind me couldn't stop and rammed my car back. What is the right thing to do in such a situation, and whose fault it is... although i did not claim anything and went off seeing my bad luck and the car in front of me went away!

Ramki
Old 20th May 2010, 18:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
What would you people do if you were in a situation like me?

I was coming back from Mysore to Bangalore almost near Rajarajeshwari Dental College and in front of me there was a sedan(Ikon i think so) and suddenly that sedan breaked and I also rammed my brakes and stopped just 2 inches before him and saved from ramming, but the guy in a WAgonR behind me couldn't stop and rammed my car back. What is the right thing to do in such a situation, and whose fault it is... although i did not claim anything and went off seeing my bad luck and the car in front of me went away!

Ramki

AFAIK its the fault of the Wagon R in your case. He was either at a high speed or following you very closely. I have read somewhere on T-Bhp itself. What happens in front of you is your responsibility. If you are rear ended then its the responsibility of the other driver as he had not allowed enough braking space while driving.
Old 20th May 2010, 23:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why are we so dignified and act with a 'it happens attitude'.I really want to know is there anything at all we can do else just go on with life ignoring what happens on the road but if we do the same we might end up paying!
Get on with it is my motto. Got my rear bumper almost flattened by an out of control tractor (couldnt brake in a crawling village traffic scenario). Moved on anyways.

At the destination, got the bumper pushed out into shape by hand. Now only the end clip mount needs to be affixed well (they came out but didnt crack!!)
Old 31st May 2010, 11:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
However I try to pay back the bus drivers. In Mysore Road (I travel on Mysore Road almost daily) usually there is the phenomenon of a bus travelling at 42Kmph trying to overtake a bus travelling at 40 Kmph. Inspite of repeated honking or flashing headlights, they do not give way. What I do is overtake them as soon I get some space. Then bring my vehicle in front of them and slow down, forcing them almost to stop (or change to second gear at least). On ensuring they have slowed down, just acclerate and speed away.
No offence to you but there's a couple of things here.

First, the bus driver is not blessed with a great power to weight ratio. He does need to overtake though and inevitably, someone will be held up for a bit. How long a delay would it be? Thirty seconds max. Not more than that.

Second, if you do get in front of him and slow down, you might get rear ended. And you've got no chance arguing with a bus driver. I've seen a car do this (I hope it wasn't yours) where the guy braked after gettting in front of the bus. The bus missed him by inches. Why risk it?

Funnily enough, you were annoyed at being held up behind the bus. Yet you spend even more time slowing both yourself and the hapless bus afterwards. Doube delay!
Old 1st June 2010, 11:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

Every time I think about such a situation, a thought comes to my mind saying I am not making enough money and instead of car, I buy a jeep. So it will be cheap to repair any damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BheemBoy View Post
Getting hit from the rear happens many times.
Just accept fate that it's not our day and forget about the incident totally. This will spare us precious amount of time atleast but will cost us dear when we service the car.
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:05   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Be the gentle man, get out and first look at other parties damage and tell them its your fault, and you are ready to pay up, and ask him if he wants to use his insurance, else pay up 100% no negotiations.
I fail to understand. Why? There is a reason that either car owner has paid a hefty insurance premium. And no, nothing "gentlemanly" about paying a 100% either. This is exactly the purpose of insurance (& third party damage) coverage. The law does NOT require you to pay for damage to someone else's property. It is your insuring company that is liable for those claims.

If you unfortunately end up in an accident, irrespective of who is at fault, simply go down and register the incident at the local police station. Your insurance companies take it up from there.

The good Samaritans amongst us can offer to pay the differential (cost of repair less what insurance company is paying) as a good will gesture (if you are at fault). But thats it. Note : You aren't legally liable to do so.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd June 2010 at 14:08.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks