Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2010, 00:27   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yes they are a hazard to pedestrians and in my personal opinion, would like to see it banned.

The term itself is enough to clear any doubts, they are meant for cattle farms not for streets. If people are not prepared for the normal street nicks and dents OR want to bully smaller vehicles (which is the case with most of call center cabs), i think we the so called "educated lot" should raise awareness against them.
I agree 100%. I believe that people who fit bull bars to their vehicles do not have confidence to drive in our streets. As Jaggu states, bull bars were originally designed for vehicles for off road use on farms and bushes - essentially to protect the front from animal impacts and small trees etc. In most civilised countries there are laws regarding the manufacture of these contraptions and how they can be fitted to the vehicle and which vehicle are legal for bull bars. Note that roadside fitment will compromise the air bag deployment and crumple zones ... just in case. The way they are fitted in India, by drilling two holes in the chasis does nothing to protect the vehicle in case of a crash - likely that it will cause additional damage by telescoping into the vehicle and bending the chasis. In India it is used to intimidate the other road users.

Any tasteful car owner including SUVs should not use bull bars. They should just be more careful drivers. BTW, the vehicle looks ugh! with bull bars anyway.

Regards
Old 17th May 2010, 01:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

It doesn't look like it hit a tree. in anyway.

This is how it looks if a car hits a tree.

Is Bull bar the culprit?-pic_0711-medium.jpg

Is Bull bar the culprit?-pic_0713-medium.jpg

Believe me the drunk boys were save my a flawed designed or poor quality issue in Mahindra.

The body is poorly mounted on the chasis. When it too a hit, body ripped from chasis and slided forward taking the steering column with it.
Old 17th May 2010, 01:12   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
Note that roadside fitment will compromise the air bag deployment and crumple zones ... just in case. The way they are fitted in India, by drilling two holes in the chasis does nothing to protect the vehicle in case of a crash - likely that it will cause additional damage by telescoping into the vehicle and bending the chasis. In India it is used to intimidate the other road users.
I second your opinion, earlier I've seen wagon R incur heavy damage due to bull bar and the guys at service center said, bull bar didn't suited that vehicle.
IIRC the engine foundation was so damaged that it broke even more parts.
Old 20th May 2010, 10:03   #34
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 21st May 2010 at 11:12.
fine69 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st May 2010, 11:15   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
As Jaggu states, bull bars were originally designed for vehicles for off road use on farms and bushes
+1 to that. My Jeep's bullbar has played an important role while offroading. Bullbars are only useful at crawling speeds. At high speeds, and especially in modern monocoques, the bullbar causes more harm than good.

Multiply the negative effect if its fitted by a 14 year old inverted-cap-untrained-pappu type at the local accessory shop.
Old 21st May 2010, 12:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

I do not know if the bull bar is the culprit here, since I am not able to access the details as to how the accident occured. Looks unlikely.

I feel that using a bull bar has a trade off : it protects your car in case of low speed impacts (low speed driving in bull infested streets of Bangalore ), but on the other hand, high speed impacts on the bull bar can prove lethal for both man and machine.

I removed the bull bar from my Scorpio 3 months ago (my used beast came with a beast bar from the previous owner). Due to removal of the bull bar, the length of my vehicle got reduced by over 6 inches, making it easier for me to park and manuever. Also, my vehicle is now lighter by nearly 20 kilos
Old 7th June 2010, 09:51   #37
Senior - BHPian

I don't know how the quails folded up but on topic of bull-bar those who think Bull-bars prevent minor damages in urban settings may be in for a surprise one fine day.

There is a Safari Lx parked in my street with a carryboy fiber bull bar , In a small frontal impact bull bar went back like a spring and damaged front grill , radiator and bonnet. There were 2 dents on edge of bonnet. There was not much damage to bull-bar itself . Just the clamps were bent which can be hammered back to shape.

Had the bullbar not been there the impact would have been absorbed by bumper. The plastic bumper is just about 5K ( unpainted , painted in not required in Lx anyway) , dented bumper can be brought to shape and you need replacement only if it is broken.
Old 8th June 2010, 10:46   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
those who think Bull-bars prevent minor damages in urban settings may be in for a surprise one fine day.
All depends on the quality of bull bar and how its installed.

Seen the bull bar on my Jeep? It has completely destroyed a Padmini cab (cousin brother 8 years back) and a Tata Sumos rear end (his tail gate caved in). I didn't even need to clean the bull bar after either accident. No repairs required at all. Look closely at my Jeeps pictures and you'll see a slight curvature on the RHS.

Of course, and again, at higher speed, this acts as the opposite of a crumple zone. Thus, it can be more damaging to the Jeeps occupants than protective.
Old 12th June 2010, 18:33   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Of course, and again, at higher speed, this acts as the opposite of a crumple zone. Thus, it can be more damaging to the Jeeps occupants than protective.
These bull bars afaik are not scientifically constructed to absorb energy . They will not absorb the energy in a crash, only transfer it. At low speeds they are not needed and at high speed they will do more harm than good.

If it really is to add to the safety then it should be constructed to crumple in a crash, that way energy will be absorbed and hence not transfered to you.
Old 12th June 2010, 20:44   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Bull Bars kill Pedestrians

--- and that is why they should be banned.

They have absolutely no place whatsoever on a vehicle outside of a forest.

Please... say no to bullbars.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2010, 21:02   #41
Senior - BHPian

I agree with the view that bullbars should be banned. When developed countries are mandating ~5kmph bumpers, how can adding bull bars be any good for those outside the vehicle with it.
Secondly, in higher speed situations, the bull bar can prevent the bumper and engine bay/bonnet to absorb part of the impact to reduce damage to cabin and occupants of the vehicle. That can cause much more damage to car and passengers than not having it.
Thirdly, one has to look at how ridiculous some of the bull bar instalments are. Bullbars became quite popular with the Omni (most unsafe 4 wheeler on our roads IMO). Now the Omni and 800 have a thinnest gauge body, and not too strong chassis. If a strong bullbar is attached to the chassis, it will definitely cause much more damage to the Omni and its occupants than providing any protection.
So, either ways, its not worth saving small bumper damage / bonnet scrapes for all the issues concerned with it.
Old 12th June 2010, 21:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Do you really feel that the 4-5K bull bras saved the front?
WHAT???

Anyways, i dont think that bull bar caused so much of damage to the qualis. if it was such a huge impact, definitely the guard would have been twisted too.
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:39   #43
Senior - BHPian

I had already posted about the negatives of Bullbar earlier, Godfathers Safari with bullbar had met with an accident shaking the whole body and I do not want repeat write.

Please see this link with pictures and detailed description, accidents also have some physics involved in them.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1383925-post42.html
Old 24th June 2010, 17:54   #44
BHPian

I was almost going for installing bullbar in my Safari, Thanks for VivekSingh for suggesting not to install bull bar
Old 24th June 2010, 18:25   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Think about your own safety of course, but do not fit a lethal weapon to the front of your car.

Do not even consider it; please.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks