Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 17:56   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
P.S.: Disrespect to law is disrespect towards country. Sorry for preaching, but your statement about not trusting law makes you as much ignorant towards it as that other guy who didn't stop to cop. How difficult is it for the cop to trace the violating car and press charges for violation as well as not stopping? Indian law is very vast my friend. Justice will ultimately prevail.
Can not agree more on that. Whats the point of punishing the guy for breaking the law, when you have no respect for the law as well?

And the tool that you have used for punishing this guy for "breaking the law" is "breaking the law".

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
I pity you for cheering "mob justice".
Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Dude, you need to get your head checked.
Chill people, we are now turning into a MOB against Prateek. He probably has got the message, now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Wow there is a mob attack on prateek now, Mods please lock this thread as all we are going too see is people throwing stones at him.

Pramod
+1 on that. Requesting Mods to atleast change the title if not close the thread.
The main reason for the bashng againt the original poster is owing to the fact that every one is entering by seeing an interesting title and finding the content to be absolutely opposite to what the title suggests.
Old 14th May 2010, 17:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Its appalling. Whatever it is, he's broken a law and let the law take its own course. Who gave the right beat this guy up and destroy his property?
Old 14th May 2010, 18:07   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Talking on a bluetooth device isnt an offence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
From when did speaking on handsfree become against the law?
It certainly is an offence to USE a bluetooth headset paired to a cellphone to carry on a conversation while driving - but it's not an offence to wear a bluetooth headset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Talking on a bluetooth not a crime..
Keeping your phone ON is.
Mumbai Traffic Police
Not exactly applicable here - the wife was in the car too, the gentleman was not alone.

However, it would be a slight challenge to prove the person concerned was actually speaking on the phone rather than to his wife beside him - the call record and time have to be checked for that, and it must be proved that the phone was paired to the bluetooth headset at that time, which a technologically-challenged traffic constable may not have the ability to (even in the next two decades).

What if that was what happened actually? The driver was having a heated discussion with his wife, didn't notice the traffic cop (or didn't want to stop for any other reason), and was practically lynched by a mob for using a cellphone while driving, when he was actually not breaking the law?

Enjoy the little pinches of your conscience.
Old 14th May 2010, 18:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

@PRATEEKM >>
You too were part of the mob. The first one to take action by deciding to serve justice yourself.

This is sad indeed!

A story I read some where!!

Master and disciple were walking down the garden path. Disciple sees a snail on the path, runs ahead, picks it up and puts it on the corner off the path. Returns to the master smiling and exclaiming that he saved the snails from getting trampled!
Master frowned in disapproval. WHat if the snail was already escaping death.. YOu just changed the course of his destiny! Disciple thinks, goes and picks the snail and puts him back on the trail in his original position. Master still disapproves. You cannot change the course of time. What if someone really crushes him now!!

Moral of the story - Dont interfere with what is!!

What goes around comes around and you my friend and every individual in the mob too will live to bear the consequences of your actions regardless of whether you think you are right!!

Nothing is free!! Not even self righteousness!!

Cheers
Jay
Old 14th May 2010, 18:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
In India, one can get a bail so easily. Take the case of the one who mowed down a constable in her CR-V. She admitted herself to an hospital and then got a bail easily. Sorry, but I don't trust the law in India in such cases.
Agreed that justice in India is not fast enough, but that does not condone mob violence.

Most traffic offenders are not hard core criminals, and such irresponsible actions take place in the spur of the moment, without malafide intent.
So granting bail to such persons is not incorrect, especially for cell-phone talking while driving.

This apart, granting bail does not mean the case is dropped---he could still be found guilty of some of the charges levelled against him.

I have a gut feeling that the same mob would not have acted so violently against a 2-wheeler rider---some of their fury may stem out of envy of now being able to afford a car, and they find such instances to vent their fury.

As others have mentioned, it is for the police to take appropriate action and not for the public to take law into their own hands. If they wanted to be good samaritans, they could have stopped the vehicle and handed over the guy to the cops without harming him in any manner whatsoever.
Old 14th May 2010, 18:25   #36
Team-BHP Support

@SS
I was referring to people who kept insisting its ok to talk on bluetooth.
IT IS NOT LEGAL FOR A DRIVER TO USE A MOBILE.

Quote:
What if that was what happened actually? The driver was having a heated discussion with his wife, didn't notice the traffic cop (or didn't want to stop for any other reason), and was practically lynched by a mob for using a cellphone while driving, when he was actually not breaking the law?
Gentlemen like this person KILL people.

He sees a cop signalling him to stop and does not stop.
Continues driving as a cop is directly in front of him.
Continues driving and forcing the cop to literally run backwards.
Would have accelerated and escaped if he was not boxed in by the OP's car.

When will people realize that driving is a privilege and not a right.
I have no sympathy for someone who shows disregard to traffic rules.
I also have no sympathy for the MOB.

and I also want to clarify that I don't believe 2 wrongs make a right.

and about taking law in your hands.
I am guilty of a similar incident as the OP.
In front of Hypercity at Hyderabad.
Blocked a Fiesta carrying 3 fools. 2 men and a woman.
I just stopped my bike in front of them and refused to move till they took a U-Turn.
About 10 mins of left-right dodge games. The moron takes a U-Turn. And then drives uphill in reverse.
Of course in the chaos that was created he hit my bike once. Dented his own cars bumper. Nothing much happens to an Enfeild.

My course of action was simple. I neither abused him nor did I shout or act aggressive. I simply blocked his way.

Last edited by bblost : 14th May 2010 at 18:31.
Old 14th May 2010, 18:27   #37
BHPian

a few slaps is ok to teach him a lesson . but thrashing him black and blue is unjustified . its a catch 22 situation. he did wrong and was also wronged
Old 14th May 2010, 19:35   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
IT IS NOT LEGAL FOR A DRIVER TO USE A MOBILE.
I understand your POV. Maybe, just MAYBE, he wasn't actually speaking on the mobile???

Quote:
Gentlemen like this person KILL people.
He sees a cop signalling him to stop and does not stop.
Continues driving as a cop is directly in front of him.
I find this more queer than serious. Obviously the driver (may not be a gentle-man ) was at crawling speed, with no intention to hurt/kill the constable at all - since the cop could run BACKWARDS and then ESCAPE being run over! (First he jumps in front of the car, then he jumps to the side - that's queer in itself - why try to commit suicide?).

If the driver's intention was to cause injury, he'd have been in the news like this: Chandigarh man gets 4-year jail in road rage case

Quote:
Initially he slowed down his car but then suddenly accelerated the vehicle, hitting Satnam Singh who fell on the car bonnet.
I am not justifying talking on a cellphone, or trying to run away when a traffic cop signals you to stop, but I think the driver deserves SOME benefit of doubt, and SOME sympathy for the quasi-lynching received.

We continue to live in medieval (made ye evil???) times in some parts of this great and progressive country.
Old 14th May 2010, 19:43   #39
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
a few slaps is ok to teach him a lesson . but thrashing him black and blue is unjustified . its a catch 22 situation. he did wrong and was also wronged
A few slaps? Violence doesn't teach any lesson. When it comes to fisticuffs, what difference does it make whether it's a few slaps or beaten black and blue?
As per law in Maharashtra, suspend the person's license. That is enough to teach him a lesson. Book him on attempted murder. 2 days in lock up is enough to teach him a lesson.
He did a wrong. He was shown how many hooligans are around him.
Old 14th May 2010, 20:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

absolutely ignorant of people(mob) to take things into their own hands.
First of all the cop should be taken to task for not doing anything while the mob was having fun.
secondly Its the police guys job to get the guy to come out of his car and do the needy(arrest,court etc).

Im Sorry to say this ,as i read through your post i found out that you helped stopping the guy.

Firstly you endangered your own life , what if he was drunk?? he would have banged your car.

Secondly
you in a way assisted the ignorant mob in afflicting damage to that person.
Old 14th May 2010, 20:14   #41
Senior - BHPian

I see all over TN stating "Avoid cellphone when driving" it doesn't give a straight forward answer to me - Should I or shouldn't I? There're something even worse, I see some people stopping their two wheeler in the middle of the road, attend the phone & then think whether they should go to extreme left or right of the road

@prateekm - I'm not adding here what is just or not as many have spoken my mind.
This is a great lesson to me; if I happen to see any such incident, I will definitely walk away unnoticed. But this leaves me with a question - am I responsible? Can someone explain?

Last edited by aargee : 14th May 2010 at 20:16.
Old 14th May 2010, 20:45   #42
Senior - BHPian

The Majiwade junction is rather large and chaotic to the core. It is more like three signals rolled into one. The cops ill-equipped as with their jumping antics and whatever else they can muster do a great job of managing traffic.

Quote:
Maybe, just MAYBE, he wasn't actually speaking on the mobile??? I think the driver deserves SOME benefit of doubt,
In that case why did he not stop? He had ample time, distance and numerous opportunities to do so. That in my opinion takes away the benefit of doubt. I have seen people at the same junction or at different parts of it trying the Wagon R's trick several times and getting away with it. Given his audacity and especially with his wife/female companion alongside, I will not be surprised if it were not his first time too. Any normal guy would stop.

Quote:
and SOME sympathy for the quasi-lynching received.
Agreed, mob's action was totally uncalled for and ideally they should have just handed him over to the cops.

Quote:
We continue to live in medieval (made ye evil???) times in some parts of this great and progressive country.
Very true, as proven both by the driver and the mob.

Though I still agree that while the mob action was wrong, by giving him instant noodles which resulted him in being allowed to go home they might have done him a favour.

I have seen what happens to a person who tries to mow down a uniform bearer. Trust me the beating he gets between being arrested and getting bail is nothing that the mob can match. There are guys who are trained to hit without leaving external injury marks. The magistrate too turns a blind eye to the lawyers plea for action against the going ons in the PS. The police's lawyer actually claims it to be the mob's doing and gets away with it. The case itself and the headaches associated with it are another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@tan2s@int
The cop should have noted down the registration number and sent the guy a ticket for breaking the law.
Surprisingly I have not seen cops noting down errant drivers plate numbers neither in New Bombay nor in Thane, though very common in Delhi.

Last edited by khoj : 14th May 2010 at 20:57.
Old 14th May 2010, 20:50   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Talking on blue tooth device / hand free is an offense. I think it is allowed.
1. It is not allowed.
2. Not stopping when a police officer asks you to is an offence, and you are liable to immediate arrest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
@Prateek, god forbid if he was someone known to you then? I would say the mob has no right to touch the guy, i would say he can register a case against the cop who was watching/ particpating in voilance against this guy. I feel ver bad about viglante justice, even worse when it happens infront of a cop
Vigilante justice is bad and wrong, but a case will not hold water - there is a justification under "sudden and grave provocation".

But, 2 wrongs will never make a right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
+1 to Samurai.
+2.
Old 14th May 2010, 20:53   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post

I feel that though the constable was stupid on his part to risk his life, the mob gave the guy what he deserved
This is insane.. Just can’t imagine what the helpless lady in the car would have gone through seeing her husband getting beaten black and blue..

@prateekm. I don’t think we have the right to decide if the guy got what he deserved..The cop should have noted down the registration number and sent the guy a ticket for breaking the law. The mob has no right to take the law in their hands.. utterly uncivilized behavior !
Old 14th May 2010, 21:40   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@tan2s@int View Post
This is insane.. Just can’t imagine what the helpless lady in the car would have gone through seeing her husband getting beaten black and blue..
And thank god they left her alone. A mob has no sense and you can't do anything.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks