Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2010, 08:52   #1
BHPian

Relocation Queries - Chennai to Hyderabad

Hi Friends,

As a sudden move I will be relocating within the same company from Chennai to Hyderabad on a better job profile and I have leave tomorrow.

I have some queries which I hope to get response from you all.

The transfer is like say 1 - 2 yrs (term not sure at the moment). And in IT jobs its kind of difficult to predict where better opportunities can come, so cannot plan very long term; I may just plain choose to stay back if the going is good.

1. My car, a Wagon R, I picked up a 2004 model (@Rs 2.9 lacs) in 2007 with 25k On ODO. Now its around 39K. My car is in pretty good condition barring the customary scratches all around it and if I was in Chennai I wouldnt have upgraded for atleast for a couple of yrs.

- Should I sell her and pick up another car in Hyd or can I drive the TN registered car in AP without any issues.

- How are AP cops? Are they hard on other state vehicles?

2. My bike - a precious RE Electra which I picked up just like < 6 months is something I dont want to sell. I dont want to reregister, I had in the past done for an AP registered vehicle to TN and it was a big hassle and waste of lot of money. Worse I got bad deal in resale.

- Is there any way like I pay road tax, but dont do reregistration and still use the vehicle?

Gurus, please help, I dont have much time. I plan to get my rides to Hyd in like 2-3 weeks once I get a place to live and move my family.

@Mods: I dont know if this is the right section; if not, kindly move to appropriate section.

Last edited by rrahul_2778 : 22nd May 2010 at 08:53.
Old 22nd May 2010, 09:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Rahul, welcome to Hyderabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post

1. My car, a Wagon R, I picked up a 2004 model (@Rs 2.9 lacs) in 2007 with 25k On ODO. Now its around 39K. My car is in pretty good condition barring the customary scratches all around it and if I was in Chennai I wouldnt have upgraded for atleast for a couple of yrs.

- Should I sell her and pick up another car in Hyd or can I drive the TN registered car in AP without any issues.

- How are AP cops? Are they hard on other state vehicles?

2. My bike - a precious RE Electra which I picked up just like < 6 months is something I dont want to sell. I dont want to reregister, I had in the past done for an AP registered vehicle to TN and it was a big hassle and waste of lot of money. Worse I got bad deal in resale.

- Is there any way like I pay road tax, but dont do reregistration and still use the vehicle?

Gurus, please help, I dont have much time. I plan to get my rides to Hyd in like 2-3 weeks once I get a place to live and move my family.

@Mods: I dont know if this is the right section; if not, kindly move to appropriate section.
As per the law, you can ply your vehicle for 12 months before applying for change of registration to another state. Welcome To TRANSPORT DEPARTMENT GOVERNMENT OF ANDHRAPRADESH - INDIA
Quote:
[COLOR=#000012]47. Assignment of new registration mark on removal to another State.[/COLOR]
(1) When a motor vehicle registered in one State has been kept in another State, for a period exceeding twelve months, the owner of the vehicle shall, within such period and in such form containing such particulars as may be prescribed by the Central Government, apply to the registering authority, within whose jurisdiction the vehicle then is, for the assignment of a new registration mark and shall present the certificate of registration to that registering authority:

Provided that an application under this sub-section shall be accompanied-
(i) by the no objection certificate obtained under section 48, or

(ii) in a case where no such certificate has been obtained, by-
(a) the receipt obtained under sub-section (2) of section 48; or

(b) the postal acknowledgment received by the owner of the vehicle if he has sent an application in this behalf by registered post acknowledgment due to the registering authority referred to in section 48,

together with a declaration that he has not received any communication from such authority refusing to grant such certificate or requiring him to comply with any direction subject to which such certificate may be granted:

Provided further that, in a case where a motor vehicle is held under a hire-purchase, lease or hypothecation agreement, an application under this subsection shall be accompanied by a no objection certificate from the person with whom such agreement has been entered into, and the provisions of section 51, so far as may be, regarding obtaining of such certificate from the person with whom such agreement has been entered into, shall apply.

(2) The registering authority, to which application is made under sub-section (1), shall after making such verification, as it thinks fit, of the returns, if any, received under section 62, assign the vehicle a registration mark as specified in sub-section (6) of section 41 to be displayed and shown thereafter on the vehicle and shall enter the mark upon the certificate of registration before returning it to the applicant and shall, in communication with the registering authority by whom the vehicle was previously registered, arrange for the transfer of the registration of the vehicle from the records of that registering authority to its own records.

(3) Where a motor vehicle is held under a hire-purchase or lease or hypothecation agreement, the registering authority shall, after assigning the vehicle a registration mark under sub-section (2), inform the person whose name has been specified in the certificate of registration as the person with whom the registered owner has entered into the hire-purchase or lease or hypothecation agreement (by sending to such person a notice by registered post acknowledgment due at the address of such person entered in the certificate of registration the fact of assignment of the said registration mark).

(4) A State Government may make rules under section 65 requiring the owner of a motor vehicle not registered within the State, which is brought into or is for the time being in the State, to furnish to the prescribed authority in the State such information with respect to the motor vehicle and its registration as may be prescribed.

(5) If the owner fails to make an application under sub-section (1) within the period prescribed, the registering authority may, having regard to the circumstances of the case, require the owner to pay, in lieu of any action that may be taken against him under section 177, such amount not exceeding one hundred rupees as may be prescribed under sub-section (7):

Provided that action under section 177 shall be taken against the owner where the owner fails to pay the said amount.

(6) Where the owner has paid the amount under sub-section (5), no action shall be taken against him under section 177.

(7) For the purposes of sub-section (5), the State Government may prescribe different amounts having regard to the period of delay on the part of the owner in making an application under sub-section (1).
As a matter of fact I also have a DL registered vehicle plying in Hyd now and I haven't changed the registration as yet.

Hope this helps
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:51   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the clarification & the welcome MC .

I just checked with Automobile Association of South India (am a member). They said the NOC cannot be used for more than a month. Reregistration would mean shelling out maybe 30-35K.

Also, when we take NOC and then eventually come back to the home state after say a year (in my case TN), we have to take a certificate from the host state (here AP) that the vehicle has not been used and is ok to get back.

Since you too have a DL vehicle, do you have an NOC? And do you see cops pulling people over for other state numbers.
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
Since you too have a DL vehicle, do you have an NOC? And do you see cops pulling people over for other state numbers.
Well in the last 5 years, my DL registered has stayed in Chennai for 2 years, 1.5 years in Delhi and from Sep 08 onwards has been in Hyderabad. No I haven't got the NOC as it might go back to Delhi sometime.

Keep your papers clean ( RC/PUC/INsurance) and if they stop you tell them that you have just come to Hyd and going off in the next 2-3 months.
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rahul,

As MC has pointed out, one can run the vehicle in another state for upto a year.

In practice, the Hyd cops are satisfied if you have paid the AP life tax. This can be quite steep though.

On the other hand, they pick on flashy, expensive cars as the tax is more and an old or inexpensive car will be ignored by them.

Hitech City area is problematic as the cops there have found that out-of-state vehicles are easy pickings.

Cheers,
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:47   #6
BHPian

Thanks guys. My work area would be hitech city, though I wont use my car to work everyday. It would be only used for family duties. Prefer the bike to work because its faster in traffic.

So you think same rule applies to 2 wheelers too? Cops target bikes as well?

Paying lifetime tax is definately steep, I wouldnt want to do that.
Old 23rd May 2010, 15:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion is this: ask yourself, will you be permanently in Hyd or back in a couple of years (probably)?

If permanent: My suggestion is sell off both the vehicles and get a different vehicle in AP.

If temp: Give both the vehicles to relatives here who take care of them well, and get a used Splendor or something in Hyd just to get around while you are there.

Basic logic: If you are going to lose money anyway, might as well get a new vehicle for it instead of giving to AP registration.
Old 23rd May 2010, 20:18   #8
BANNED

Rahul - Sell your car.

Even if you are getting less don't mind, because once you take it to AP it will be very difficult for you. Your NOC will expire in a month, and then you can't pay your road tax. Suppose if you have to stay longer, you can't even sell your car in AP. Don't worry about the bike. Tax and re-registration is very less. Once you are back to your home town, you can claim back your road tax and then get it registered back to Chennai as the cost will again be minimal.

Only be worried about the car, it is a big head ache to drive an out-stationed car. I know as I have been driving a DL in KA.
Old 23rd May 2010, 20:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, get a PUC done in chennai before you leave for Hyderabad.
PUC is valid for 6 months and you can drive a vehicle in any other state for 12 months without re registering in the new state.
HiTec city is the only area the cops stop out of state vehicles. It doesn't happen everyday but once or twice a month.
Moreover, this check in Hitec city happens only if you are entering via cyber towers road. There are 3 other roads which lead into hitec city and I have never seen much checking happening on these roads expect for occasional stopping to check if you are carrying the company ID card!
Old 24th May 2010, 14:43   #10
BHPian

Rahul,

Just reiterating all the comments from the previous posts and few of my own experiences.

You need to understand that there are two components when your car changes states.

1) Reregistering meaning your TN reg no will become AP, to do this you need NOC frm TN and Road Tax paid from AP. I can can live without reregistering for 1 year ( As per the previous threads)

2) Road tax payment, you need to pay this amount in AP within one month of the car arrival, typically in the range of 5 to 10% of the invoice value depending on the age. However the arrival date is dicey as the cops cannot determine the exact date. If you are caught on camera on any offence (jumping signal's etc) or if you are pulled up the second time then there is a conclusive evicence of your arrival date. Your Reg is not affected.

The traffic cops generally do not pull you up for regn/road tax issues but the RTA guys do.
Since the RTA guys are only concerned about the road tax read that as revenue targets you can get away even if you have your car run on TN regn plates even after 1 year

Hope this brings things into perpective.

Now let me try to address you concerns on Cops(RTA) pulling you up.

Firstly their prime target is cars but they do pull up two wheelers as well.

And yes, as people have mentioned, Hitech city is a easy picking for the RTA guys and they do frequent this hot spot

To give you better understanding of the modus operandi.
Hitech city is manned by Law and order cops and they have put up barricades on virtually all entrances to Hitec city
(a) new ring road
(b) Durgam Chervu
(c) Satyam office
(d) cyber towers
That leaves you no room to get in on any alternate route, so the RTA chaps just have to stand near these barricades to pull up out of state vehicle and the frequency with which they do these checks is on a quarterly basis which covers all the spectrum of the day and all the entry points.

How they do it
They stand in different entry points at different time in the day.

What do they ask,
1) First they verify their records/database which gives them info on if this vehicle was seen in Hyd earlier. (Eg cctv camera, their database of vehicle numbers pulled up earlier). You will have to believe me on this, as I do not have info on how they get this data. I was pulled up and shown the info through a hand held device. But generally they are lazy and do not do this at the first pass, only when you argue they try to pull up records

2) They ask you for your RC book to determine whose name is vehicle is in, logic is if its in your name you will have the vehicle here and also to check if any NOC is stamped.

3) Insurance and Pollution certificates, both indicate the city in which this was done, incase you have done this in Hyd then they ask no further questions but write a challan

To be honest I have driven on different KA regn cars for the last four years and have been pulled up about 10 times but the saving grace is, I keep travelling to Bangalore quite frequently technically the car has not been here for more than a month at the time of these checks. And I prove this by recent petrol bill, insurance and Toll tickets on the NH7, Service center bills etc

Send a mail in case you need further help

@ Pulsar56 I have been pulled up in all entry points, yes I partially agree with you on the Saty am route, i have not seen the RTA guys very active there, but as luck would have it i have been pulled up here as well, in one of the rare ocassion that I had used this route.

Last edited by kiranpashtakar : 24th May 2010 at 14:53.
Old 24th May 2010, 14:50   #11
BANNED

Rahul,

Why not pay the road tax? I guess it is not such a huge amount for other states compared to Karnataka,

Karnataka is the only state which takes the highest amount of road tax with worst roads . 10 - 12% of invoice value is the Karnataka road tax, not other states I believe.
Old 24th May 2010, 14:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Rahul,

Why not pay the road tax? I guess it is not such a huge amount for other states compared to Karnataka,

Karnataka is the only state which takes the highest amount of road tax with worst roads . 10 - 12% of invoice value is the Karnataka road tax, not other states I believe.
It is a huge amount and can vary from 6-9%. Please check this link http://aptransport.org/html/tax_life...al-vehicel.htm
Old 25th May 2010, 10:10   #13
BHPian

Thanks for all your inputs guys. I didnt have internet access for last couple of days, hence couldnt reply earlier.

I am being recommended by almost everybody to sell my car. I am checking out what price my car can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
My suggestion is this: ask yourself, will you be permanently in Hyd or back in a couple of years (probably)?
I dont plan to be in Hyd for more than a couple of years (as of now). But like I said, its difficult to plan anything in life when in IT (atleast my experience).

Quote:
Rahul - Sell your car.

Even if you are getting less don't mind, because once you take it to AP it will be very difficult for you. Your NOC will expire in a month, and then you can't pay your road tax. Suppose if you have to stay longer, you can't even sell your car in AP.
Only be worried about the car, it is a big head ache to drive an out-stationed car. I know as I have been driving a DL in KA.
MOstly everyone has recommended me the above solution. I have seen other state vehicles here, but dont know how they manage. Cops are pretty active in all states for the other state vehicle problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
HiTec city is the only area the cops stop out of state vehicles. It doesn't happen everyday but once or twice a month.
I have seen the barricade thing here and I guess its virtually impossible for anyone to escape the cops. It seems they are only interested in collecting fines from other state vehicles while the traffic is in a major chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranpashtakar View Post
To be honest I have driven on different KA regn cars for the last four years and have been pulled up about 10 times but the saving grace is, I keep travelling to Bangalore quite frequently technically the car has not been here for more than a month at the time of these checks. And I prove this by recent petrol bill, insurance and Toll tickets on the NH7, Service center bills etc
Thanks for your post and the detailed clarifications. I wont be driving up and down to Chennai because somehow Wagon R is more comfortable in city, I dont prefer it for long journeys, though have done quite a few long drives up and down the south india cities. So the bills option is ruled out for me.

Quote:
Rahul,

As MC rightly pointed out, road tax is pretty steep whatever state. And worse is it is most difficult to get a refund on the lifetime tax from the home state (in my case TN) when we reregister.

Dunno, maybe I should start getting in to the 'What Car' thread or classifieds maybe. Damn this relocation thing!!!!
Old 25th May 2010, 11:03   #14
BHPian

Similar Query

I also have a similar query with regards to relocation to Hyderabad.

I'll also be moving to Hyd soon, from Mumbai, for a new job. I'd recently bought a second hand car which I was yet to transfer it to my name when the Hyd thing came up. Since I was anyways struggling to transfer the car into my name (due to address proof issues in Mumbai RTO), I am now getting the NOC to Hyderabad (Attapur RTA, Ranga Reddy Dist) and will go for a reregistration there. Incidentally, I'll also be in the Hitec city (madhapur) area. Following are my queries:

1) Besides the NOC, PUC and Insurance, what other documents would be needed as part of the application for reregistration at the Hyd RTA?

2) How long (approx) does it take for the new number to arrive?

3) Can anyone of you (in Hyd) please help me with a reliable RTO Agent contact?!

4) Anything else which I might need to be careful about?

A sincere request to t-bhpians in Hyderabad to please help me out on this one!!

Thanks
Old 25th May 2010, 12:02   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
I also have a similar query with regards to relocation to Hyderabad.

I'll also be moving to Hyd soon, from Mumbai, for a new job. I'd recently bought a second hand car which I was yet to transfer it to my name when the Hyd thing came up. Since I was anyways struggling to transfer the car into my name (due to address proof issues in Mumbai RTO), I am now getting the NOC to Hyderabad (Attapur RTA, Ranga Reddy Dist) and will go for a reregistration there. Incidentally, I'll also be in the Hitec city (madhapur) area. Following are my queries:

1) Besides the NOC, PUC and Insurance, what other documents would be needed as part of the application for reregistration at the Hyd RTA?

2) How long (approx) does it take for the new number to arrive?

3) Can anyone of you (in Hyd) please help me with a reliable RTO Agent contact?!

4) Anything else which I might need to be careful about?

A sincere request to t-bhpians in Hyderabad to please help me out on this one!!

Thanks
Only 1 usefull suggestion.

Be careful you don't waste time. NOC is valid for 6 months, but when you will go to RTO they will start a new story. Fine for every month around 500 bucks. So be careful and better not give them a chance to cheat you on it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks