Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2010, 13:15   #16
BHPian

I feel that this is because for most of the folks in emergency services/quick response/police services this is just another job. These are not people who chose to do it because they want to do it. They do it because they don't have a choice and they have to make a living. There is unfortunately no pride. This attitude is a lot different from what i have seen in the US during my stay there. I used to work in Rockerfeller center in NY for BOFA(This is one of the most expensive office spaces there) and atleast once every quarter we would have some kind of function celebrating NYPD or the New York Fire Service in the rockerfeller center. This would be a real celebration where the families of these folks would be invited and sometimes people like mike bloomberg would drop in to thank these people. Even a non citizen of that country like me couldn't help but appreciate the system that they have of appreciating these critical pillars of the society and making these guys feel valued and all.

I think we should have that kind of culture even in india. The other issue is that a lot of our lower level government servants/police still have a mindset that they are ruling over the masses. The idea that they are government servants whose job is to serve the tax paying public don't get into their heads at all. Most folks see accidents as a way to make some quick money.

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 1st June 2010 at 13:22. Reason: Had to add some more information
Old 2nd June 2010, 07:54   #17
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Move over Delhi! Here comes Pune.

Hit-and-run victim run over, again and again , News - City - Pune Mirror,Pune Mirror

I intend to take a sabbathical from all kinds of news media for a few days in search of inner peace.

Last edited by MX6 : 2nd June 2010 at 07:55.
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:22   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
But you know the sad thing in this case is that, the last person who stops and reports to the police gets treated as though he is the criminal and they could probably take them in for questioning and to file a report. .
This is not the case anymore. There is a new rule which is set wherein anyone who is reporting an accident to police will NOT be harassed and questioned unless he himself wishes to help the police in catching the victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Forget helping a victim. I swerve out in order not to run over a dead animal, even if it's a dog on the highway. And here as per news we have drivers gloriously running over a dead female literally smashing her to pulp.
There's no respect in life. There's no respect beyond it either.
Had someone put 2 huge stones near the cadaver, every moron would have swerved, to save his car from being hit and damaged.
I think we are over-reacting now. NOONE will run over even a dead animal's body by his wish, it would have just happened by mistake since there is heavy traffic reported. Moreover, the media is in such bad state in India, they have to make a news to blame someone.

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 2nd June 2010 at 10:33.
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:27   #19
BHPian

Hi All,
I had posted the below in some other thread. Didn't get any response.
Maybe it was too boring to read.
My intention is just to know if any fello BHP-ians had this "blanked out" feeling which I think I had when the accident happened
"
yeah, it was a serious accident. I banged on to a car which had slowed down at a speed breaker.
I saw the car had slowed down.
I have no clue what happened after that. My wife, parents, sister and her kid were all there.
All of them said I didn't slow down.
At the same time I know that I wasn't a break-neck speed. 60,max 80 kmph.
But the sad part is I am still not able to figure out what happened to me at that point of time whether
(1) I accelerated instead of braking?
(2) I got blanked out for a moment.(No I was not under alcohol ;-)) The previous day we all had been to Mysore, slept quite late, was really tired, but not tired enough to doze off.

After giving lots of thoughts, I end up concluding that I got blanked out for a few seconds.
Have any of you friends felt this getting "blanked out" while driving? (What a stupid question to ask?)
Please understand, it's just that I am trying to find out reason.

Now when I drive Zen Estilo, my wife gets so tense, she literally doesn't breathe till we reach destination.
When I was using SX4 also, she used to be tense when I drive (I learned driving only 3 years ago).But at that time, I would (could) shut her up saying "please don't tell me how to drive"
Now,after the accident, I can't do that even :-(

One more query.
Maruti guys said, since airbags have to be replaced, the whole dash will need to be replaced including the instrument controls and other control units
The initial estimate say I will have to shell out anywhere between 90K-1.2 lacs. :-( (Mainly because 50% on airbags, dash etc).
Then bonnet, AC condenser liquid etc etc needs to be replaced.
The estimates runs up to 10 pages.

Service advisor said some work was to be carried out in chassis also. That jitters me a bit.
Could team bhp friends please advise on what all things I should verify when I go for getting my car?
Especially what all should I look in for since there was chassis work done.

Thanks in advance and apologies for such a long post
"

[COLOR=#777777]"Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." [/COLOR]
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Move over Delhi! Here comes Pune.

Hit-and-run victim run over, again and again , News - City - Pune Mirror,Pune Mirror

I intend to take a sabbathical from all kinds of news media for a few days in search of inner peace.

I just read this as one of the first things today morning, and was deeply disgusted too.

Whats more, the poor guy's body parts were splattered all over the place, and yet no one bothered to stop. And this was not even at night or in darkness of any sort.
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:38   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
This is not the case anymore. There is a new rule which is set wherein anyone who is reporting an accident to police will NOT be harassed and questioned unless he himself wishes to help the police in catching the victim.
You are talking about the rule, he was talking about reality. Even if the police follow the rule, the victim's side will harass the good Samaritan.
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:50   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You are talking about the rule, he was talking about reality. Even if the police follow the rule, the victim's side will harass the good Samaritan.
That could be true but only in few cases, which you obviously read in news papers!

I still know people who have saved lives. Once when I was hit by a car(I don't even know which car it was) badly when riding my bike, all auto and taxies refused to take me to the hospital but an Indica agreed. They were worried if I will file a case against him, but still, they helped me.

It is always better to save a life if you can even if you know you will be in trouble after doing that. After all you are saving a life. Again, it's all about inner conscience and how bold are you at handling it.

God Forbid, I have never come to a situation like this, but this is my thinking now. I don't know how I will react if I happen to come to such situation. Maybe, I will do the same everyone does, but I wonder how would I see myself in the mirror after I reach home.

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 2nd June 2010 at 10:52.
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Me and my friend helped a lady who was knocked off her scooter on the KR Market flyover by auto guy who fled away. We got her into another auto to reach the hospital. She was conscious and the auto driver was also helpful. We did not face any harassment.

I have seen cases on the highway (NH4) where people help the accident victims. Not sure what I would have done in this case, perhaps use my mobile to call the police?
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

I am not least surprised, especially at the part that it happened in Delhi. This happened in Bangalore also sometime ago. The police literally had to scrape the body off the surface of the road. But saving grace was that it happened in the night. Regarding Delhi, its a city where I spent 8 months and after that I vowed that I will never go back. The value of life is nil all over India. But Delhi people have somehow managed to push it down the negative scale. Remember the case when a woman intervened in a traffic squabble and the guys promptly pulled out a gun and shot her dead?

When you are in Delhi you can hear the RJ's on FM chanting "Dilli hai Dilwalon ki". Thats a shameful irony.
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:10   #25
BHPian

2 similar incidents. What is the world coming to? Have the people become so indifferent to others? Can't they even swerve? I still cant imagine running over a body..
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:35   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I am not least surprised, especially at the part that it happened in Delhi. This happened in Bangalore also sometime ago. The police literally had to scrape the body off the surface of the road. But saving grace was that it happened in the night. Regarding Delhi, its a city where I spent 8 months and after that I vowed that I will never go back. The value of life is nil all over India. But Delhi people have somehow managed to push it down the negative scale. Remember the case when a woman intervened in a traffic squabble and the guys promptly pulled out a gun and shot her dead?

When you are in Delhi you can hear the RJ's on FM chanting "Dilli hai Dilwalon ki". Thats a shameful irony.
Completely agree with every word of your post. My fiancée told me about this incident and I m still shaken, to the core.

RIP to the departed soul.
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:40   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Regarding Delhi, its a city where I spent 8 months and after that I vowed that I will never go back. The value of life is nil all over India. But Delhi people have somehow managed to push it down the negative scale. .
Guys. lets not get back to the same old stuff of blaming and mocking about other states.

Lets discuss on "what to do" if anyone from us face such situation and serve some purpose to the thread.
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

That is indeed shocking, May her soul rest in peace.

Pramod
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:10   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I think many of us would be open to help in such situation, provided we are not in our cars. If we stop our car and try to help out, we will be suspect #1. The police and even the victim will hold us responsible for the accident. We have Team-BHP members who helped out a victim and were eventually asked to cough up money by the victim's party.
Very true. My friends and I have faced this situation. Couple of months ago, on our way from Chennai to Bangalore, saw a motorbike driver hit by car. Took a U-turn and came back to check if they had called the Ambulance and informed the police. As we were doing it, we were questioned by the locals if we were the guys in the car that met with the accident ! The only thing I could think of at that time was to get out of that place asap.
Old 2nd June 2010, 18:59   #30
BHPian

Even i read that today in Pune mirror.... I was like

we humans need to show more empathy and sympathy on these kind of situations. Otherwise doesn’t make any difference between a four legged animal and two legged human.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks