Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2010, 15:34   #1
BHPian

God and Fiat saved us 22.05.2010

It was just another trip after the many hundreds of them we have gone for. It was the fate full day of May 22nd 2010 3:30 a.m. Karur Salem by pass on our way to Munaar. We were four in the car and were driving a multijet palio which was just 2 months old. All four friends going to attend the opening of another friends resort.
We left Bangalore very late had dinner at a road side shack and were just enjoying the drive; we were alternating between drivers as each one was enjoying the car and the drive. We were in no hurry to reach our destination. But the whole journey started with a negative vibe, because when we questioned the lady at the shack while paying the bill why is that police are harassing you guys to close the place soon. She reveals that a month ago fours guys like us came and ate at the shack and left. After about 2 km they met with an accident and all of them died on the spot. Now this was spooky. But the jolly fellows we were, we did not take it much to heart and continued on our journey. As we had heard umpteen such stories on all our trips.
We continued on our journey wide awake having our cigs stopping for chai and going along happily. Finally after passing Salem we decided we would stop after or near Namakal for some tea again. As decided we stopped took a long break, drivers changed and we continued. It was around 3:15a.m. Music was loud and all of us wide awake. I spotted an Indicab and just voiced WATCH OUT WATCH OUT!! And BANG…
After a couple of seconds I realized that were upside down, immediately I moved my hands and legs to understand if I was alright, and I was. I was stuck right at the bottom in the front passenger seat but actually I was sitting just behind him. The remaining three of them were on top of me and I could see their heads. Immediately I screamed out their names but none answered, and blood was dripping on my face. I feared the worst and many things ran through my mind.
But I just kept my cool and tried to break of the shattered front windshield with my elbow but to no avail. Then I tried to kick and break the driver’s side window, nothing happened. Then suddenly I realized the passenger window to my side was broke and open. I managed to crawl out as soon, as I got out I pulled my buddies out. Checked whether they were safe they were fine with minor cuts and bruises.
I could hear screams like the car is going to blast, “all spot out” and what not. Then I peered to see what were the causalities, in the distance I could see people falling out of the indica to the ground and it was like they were struggling for life. Just after about 5 mins of the accident the ambulance arrived and we packed off all the people from the indicab into the ambulance. Then a second ambulance arrived and my other two friends who were not feeling to good and they too were sent off.
Now I start investigating as to what happened, but as we were trying to do the same the crowd started becoming unruly. The guys from the 800 come over to ask for compensation they were young guys in their early twenties frist car and all the sentiments were attached. I asked them where they were from? And they said Bangalore. I told them not to worry everything will be sorted out. I looked out for the rest of the people none could be found.
Now I start questioning why the indicab and 800 were parallel parked in the middle of the highway? Then I start getting answers… Apparently 5 or 10 mins before we could meet with an accident there was a swift that had run into the divider, seeing this the 800 guys pulled over to the side and ran to help them. Now seeing what was going on the indicab just stopped in the middle of now where. And we the unlucky lot crashed into both.
As per the pictorial after we crashed into the indicab it landed on the divider as where it is in the picture. Then we hit the 800 which toppled and went into the service road. Nobody was in the 800 they were very lucky. The indicab had passengers. In the same motion our left rear tire hit the service road pavement and became air borne and we toppled thrice and landed in the middle of the highway.
By the grace of god nice people involved with just very minor causalities, only on passenger from the indicab had stitches on his head, my friend sitting the front passenger seat has a hair line crack in his pelvis and I had some ligaments torn on my right feet with some internal bleeding in my feet.
Then the story is as usual my uncle came, contacted the local lawyer finished off all the paper work put our car the same day on a truck and brought it back to Bangalore. Now between all this trauma, the hospital looted us for their lousy service, put us through more pain and trauma. Public at the scene created a huge mess. And the other car guys at time did not co-operate. It has been a very difficult time thus far. But we all thank god that nothing major happened.
The funny irony of the whole incident was that we were in the middle of Tamilnadu but all the four cars involved were from Bangalore in series of KA01 to KA 04.
Thanks to FIAT for making such strong and safe cars, the cabin is completely intact even after toppling thrice on the thar mac. Three doors including the hatch still open. Now I am a complete fan of European cars for their build and safety.
I am not sure whether it is in the right section please move if not.
Attached Thumbnails
God and Fiat saved us 22.05.2010-1.jpg  

God and Fiat saved us 22.05.2010-2.jpg  

God and Fiat saved us 22.05.2010-3.jpg  

God and Fiat saved us 22.05.2010-4.jpg  

God and Fiat saved us 22.05.2010-5.jpg  

God and Fiat saved us 22.05.2010-6.jpg  

God and Fiat saved us 22.05.2010-7.jpg  

God and Fiat saved us 22.05.2010-8.jpg  

God and Fiat saved us 22.05.2010-9.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by bblost : 10th June 2010 at 15:38. Reason: Font Tags removed
Old 10th June 2010, 15:37   #2
BHPian

Trivia question - can you identify which car. This was not a part of the accident but a car found in the yard
Attached Thumbnails
God and Fiat saved us 22.05.2010-11.jpg  

Old 10th June 2010, 15:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

You and your friends were really lucky!

Quote:
Now seeing what was going on the indicab just stopped in the middle of now where. And we the unlucky lot crashed into both.
Didn't the Indica or the 800 have working tail lamps / brake lights?
Old 10th June 2010, 15:44   #4
BHPian

That was a nasty one.. Thank God everyone is safe.
It's a common practice - stop for 'sightseeing' in the middle of the highway. When will we learn?
Old 10th June 2010, 15:45   #5
BHPian

No hazard no brake lamps on, not even the parking light.
Old 10th June 2010, 15:46   #6
kkg
BHPian

Its very sad to see your FIAT in this state. But you and your friends are very lucky to escape with minor injuries.

You mentioned the time was around 3 am and the ambulance arrived within 5 minutes?? Is this true?. If yes, you sure are lucky. God and FIAT saved you all indeed.
Old 10th June 2010, 15:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Oh my my bad accident. You are very lucky that nothing serious happened. I have to give it to the Palio, that decade old car is built like a vault. Even after the huge crash and toppling over, the passenger compartment is almost unaffected.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 10th June 2010 at 15:47.
Old 10th June 2010, 15:48   #8
BHPian

Another day, another accident. Another accident that could have been avoided just by following the rules and parking the car off the road. But seems like the government and most of the people hardly care. It's just another accident, just another statistic in the millions of accidents that take place on our road annually :( .
Old 10th June 2010, 15:50   #9
BHPian

Thank God you all are safe.

It takes just a fraction of second and by the time we realize, the damage has been done.

It also emphasize on the build quality of Fiat Cars. The same was evident in another post where one of the T-BHP member's new Linea met with an accident with a dumper carrying stones and all passengers were saved with minor bruises.
Old 10th June 2010, 15:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Glad you guys had a narrow escape but where is the Swift that caused all this?
Old 10th June 2010, 15:53   #11
BHPian

That's a nasty one,

Glad to hear that everyone involved are safe.
Old 10th June 2010, 16:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

You guys were really lucky to get away with no major injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.das View Post
Trivia question - can you identify which car. This was not a part of the accident but a car found in the yard
I think its Tata Indica.
Old 10th June 2010, 16:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.das View Post
Its an Indi(ca)/go for sure. Check the ORVMs.

Didn't you have enough response time to slam the brakes? (Even if their tail lamps were not glowing, you should seen the cars unless your head lamps were also turned off)
Old 10th June 2010, 16:20   #14
BANNED

Many people have such horror but happy ending stories because of a FIAT, believe me. I am one of them too. Kudos to FIAT. Good that all are safe!
Old 10th June 2010, 16:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Oh Guys, god safeguarded you. Its more then enough for a catastrophe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
You guys were really lucky to get away with no major injuries.
I think its Tata Indica.
Yes i think so, it has the black ORVM of the new indica.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks