Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 18:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Very scary.
How is the power window switch on Scorpio? It should never be a 'press' button for rolling the window up. Most cars have a 'lift' type button for rolling up and you press the same button for rolling it down (which is less dangerous even if someone presses by accident). Since this is more intuitive, people also tend to do less mistakes.
Old 15th June 2010, 18:13   #17
BHPian

That was a scary eyeopener mooza.
Guess now manufacturers can advertise manual windows at the rear as safety features (like ford figo).
Old 15th June 2010, 18:29   #18
BHPian

Thank god nothing happened. I really got shocked reading through.

Is't that more of a design fault ?

In swifts, fiesta's, city's and the like you have to pull the switch up to roll up the window right ? That is an inherently safe design.

Santro on the other hand has a dangerous design, guess its the same with Scorpio.
Old 15th June 2010, 18:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
My vehicle has the "horizontally mounted press down" type switches, which are riskier since they get easily pressed down by accident. Lever type switches are better, which need to be pulled up for the window to roll up. This is nicely illustrated in the link below :

Power-window safety: Car safety, child safety

SX4 has lever type switches. If you press them down the glass goes down. You have to lift the switch up for closing the window. I never thought it makes so much difference.

Glad to know that the child is safe.

Murthy
Old 15th June 2010, 18:46   #20
BHPian

Scary! - glad your daughter is safe.

Bless the Figo for not having rear power windows.
Old 15th June 2010, 19:54   #21
BHPian

Similar issue happened for one of my friend's car which had Auto-Rollup. He had parked his car to fill petrol. His kid just popped her head out. He by mistake pressed the the lock button on remote. The windows were rolling up with kid's head about to get stuck. With nick of time, he somehow managed to push the kid's head into the car. After the incident, the kid has few bruises near neck area but minor ones.
Kid was just 2yr old.

Very scary indeed!!
Old 15th June 2010, 21:16   #22
BHPian

A very scary incident indeed. Glad to learn that your child is safe @mooza.
Usually, there is a feature in vehicles with power windows, wherein the glass stops its upward motion incase it encounters an obstacle in its path of travel.
However, this feature is available only when the auto up function is activated and is only available in the driver side window.
I am not sure whether this feature is available in the other three windows. Will confirm and let know.
I generally lock the master switch available in the driver side panel whenever I drive. I unlock it whenever it is required to lower or raise the other glasses and lock it back again.

Regards.
Old 19th June 2010, 10:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Very scary. How is the power window switch on Scorpio? It should never be a 'press' button for rolling the window up. Most cars have a 'lift' type button for rolling up and you press the same button for rolling it down (which is less dangerous even if someone presses by accident). Since this is more intuitive, people also tend to do less mistakes.
Sorry for the delayed response. I was out of town, on vacation !

In my 2004 Scorpio, as in my 2002 Ikon, it is a "press down to roll up" type of arrangement. This is very risky, as I just discovered from my experience. I want to get this modified.

@all fellow members, thanks a ton for the support. My daughter seems to have forgotten the incident, and is back to her cheerful self now, after the vacation
Old 13th February 2011, 00:54   #24
BHPian

Re: Power windows safety: Honda City ANHC 2009

A few wekks back I experimented to check if the ANHC power windows had any safety mechanism. I tried to stop an upward moving glass (on driver side window) with my hand and it would not stop even when a significant force was applied. I had to take off my hand just in time to avoid it getting crushed. So ANHC does not have any safety roll down system on its power windows.

Which of the other makes/models have this safety system?
Old 13th February 2011, 02:52   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Close call with power windows

^^ I believe, ANHC has the option of locking the power window switch of the passengers. I keep it locked all the while in my IKON. Only on request, I unlock it.

It should prove useful and safe, as the car doesnt have the auto roll down function.

If I remember it correct, Opel Astra has this function. Also, most cars with one-touch-up feature.
Old 13th February 2011, 08:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

It was not a kid in my case who got caught in power window glass.
It was YOURS TRULY.

How it happened?
I was learning to drive. I have this thing that after parking the front tyres should be straight. So I used to poke my head out and see if they are straight.

One day I decided to multitask and started the window roll up as I was withdrawing my head. Punto has a one touch roll up window on driver side.
I thought that I will be be able to pull my head in by the time the glass moves up. Mistake. Glass came up rather fast and caught my head around the temple area. I remember the glass pushing against on on my ears. It was embarrassing and painful. Thankfully no one saw me in that stupid position.

I am surprised at the force with which these windows come up.
Old 14th February 2011, 10:11   #27
BHPian

Re: Power windows safety: Honda City ANHC 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
A few wekks back I experimented to check if the ANHC power windows had any safety mechanism. I tried to stop an upward moving glass (on driver side window) with my hand and it would not stop even when a significant force was applied. I had to take off my hand just in time to avoid it getting crushed. So ANHC does not have any safety roll down system on its power windows.

Which of the other makes/models have this safety system?
If I were you, I'd test it with something else (maybe a thermocol block or a plastic bottle) instead of a hand.
Old 14th February 2011, 10:52   #28
BHPian

This is why I dislike power windows. When none of my cars had power windows, I always wanted them, but now, I don't. Primarily because:
1)My driver was winding up the windows in our Fiesta from the driver's side while I was getting out, and my hand was in the space between the glass and the door frame. My fingers were crushed for a good 10 secs, with me howling, before anyone could realize what was happening.
2)When the driver is not around it is impossible to put the windows up/down.

These are damn irritating, so I dont see the logic behind power windows.
Old 15th February 2011, 11:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

When I had long hair, I ended up getting a few strands stuck in the window, after I rolled up the glass.

Look at the brighter side. If you are involved in a brawl on the road and you roll your window down to talk to the guy outside the car and he tries to hit you with his fist, you can get his hand trapped until help/police arrives. You also have a proof that he tried to hit you!
Old 15th February 2011, 12:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Look at the brighter side. If you are involved in a brawl on the road and you roll your window down to talk to the guy outside the car and he tries to hit you with his fist,!
Can't you do that with the manually operated windows too?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks