Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2010, 09:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Cops challaned me(MVA 158)

my little sister arrived from delhi and we went to various tourist places near Trivandrum. There is a place called Thennmala which has a thick forest cover and is very scenic, there are two routes to get there the first one is about 120 KM and is through normal city roads which are in great shape, we took these roads to go there. while returning we found there was another route which was just 76 Km to Trivandrum. I barely did 5-6 Kms and i saw a police jeep standing there, there was a transport bus ahead of me and i just saw one of the cop step forward and signaling me to stop, i stopped. and the whole drama began there.

Cops: 100 Rs
Me: why
Cops:you were driving fast (they had no speed guns)
Me: how fast
Cops: get your docs

After checking every doc

Cop: Who is in the car
Me:my younger sis

Cop: Her name, Her father's name etc...
Me: gave all the details
Cop: did you wear the seat belts
Me: yes, and my sister is still wearing
Cop: Turn on your head lights, honk etc(felt lot like ragging in college )

Finally he says pay 100, i just had enough, so i paid. later when i checked the challan it said 100 Rs fine under sec 158 .This was the most hideous display of power by cops and this is one time when i wanted call some one big to teach them a lesson. But i took it with a pinch of salt, its not about the money, its about how these people feel they are superior to every one and literally turn into goons in uniform

Cops challaned me(MVA 158)-dsc01917.jpg

I think there should be stringent law to take care of the harassment part.

Pramod
Old 16th July 2010, 09:33   #2
BHPian

The bill looks duplicate! The original copy needs to be retained by the customer and duplicate by the cops! but why on earth does the cop give you the duplicate bill! OMG! Please do file a complaint.

Btw Sec 158 says you need to have insurance & RC (or pollution certificate), did you have all these docus with you? If yes, why did he challan you? was there any speed limits mentioned in the NH Road?
Old 16th July 2010, 09:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
The bill looks duplicate! The original copy needs to be retained by the customer and duplicate by the cops! but why on earth does the cop give you the duplicate bill! OMG! Please do file a complaint.

Btw Sec 158 says you need to have insurance & RC (or pollution certificate), did you have all these docus with you? If yes, why did he challan you? was there any speed limits mentioned in the NH Road?

All the docs were in order, this is not NH, these are ghat roads and i was at 40km/h

Pramod
Old 16th July 2010, 09:51   #4
Team-BHP Support

Pramod, how about sending this to some news channel? They would have fun with this.

Also, the other questions comes about how you would prove you were in the right?
Old 16th July 2010, 09:59   #5
BHPian

Do you have the badge number of the cop?
Or the bike/car number?

In case you need to take the complaint further. . .
Old 16th July 2010, 10:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think your car number attracted the cops.
Looking at the number, cops came to know that the car owner is maaldar person and can get some chai-paani.
Old 16th July 2010, 10:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

I didnt want to create a scene and i am sorry but cannot standup and fight for this cause i have a lot of better things to do in life than to fight for this. I know some people high up and could have made his life miserable if he took it further than charging 100 Rs, and if i call someone to help me cause i dont wanna pay this amount people will think i am crazy. I was just shocked at the way he was fault finding to extract money.

yes wife also suggested i send it to the news guys

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 16th July 2010 at 10:25.
Old 16th July 2010, 10:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
I think your car number attracted the cops.
Looking at the number, cops came to know that the car owner is maaldar person and can get some chai-paani.
Seems true

On a second thought, I feel that the car is from AP, riding in Kerala. That may be other reason. He must have thought that since you are from other state, may not use local powers on him, so he can milk as much money as possible.

Or, may be he has some old rivalry from people from that state.
Old 16th July 2010, 11:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Since he gave you a receipt (provided that the receipt is original) Me thinks that this is just a case of meeting the target of challans made during the week/ month. Very stupid thing imposed by the senior cops, this puts the junior cops under pressure to cut challans and take money by hook or by crook.
Old 16th July 2010, 11:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

You could have always reasoned with them if your papers were in order. I mean they simply cant fine you for no reason. Since its an AP registered car I am assuming all papers were in place ?

The famous mallu saying " Idenna Vellarika pattanam aano " ?
Old 16th July 2010, 11:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I didnt want to create a scene and i am sorry but cannot standup and fight for this cause i have a lot of better things to do in life than to fight for this. I know some people high up and could have made his life miserable if he took it further than charging 100 Rs, and if i call someone to help me cause i dont wanna pay this amount people will think i am crazy. I was just shocked at the way he was fault finding to extract money.

yes wife also suggested i send it to the news guys

Pramod
Next time, tell them that you are only harassing me. If you will not let me go, I will call 100 and report that you are harassing my sister.

Works like a charm everytime. From the haryana police, to chandigarh police it never fails.
Old 16th July 2010, 12:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

@Phamilyman: I second that one. I have tried that & it works even with Mumbai cops & they chicken out. Usually the cops will simply hand you over your docs & proceed to stop another car. Thats the signal that you are FREE to leave.
Condition apply: You must a female companion.
Old 16th July 2010, 14:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Next time, tell them that you are only harassing me. If you will not let me go, I will call 100 and report that you are harassing my sister.

Works like a charm everytime. From the haryana police, to chandigarh police it never fails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
@Phamilyman: I second that one. I have tried that & it works even with Mumbai cops & they chicken out. Usually the cops will simply hand you over your docs & proceed to stop another car. Thats the signal that you are FREE to leave.
By doing this, don't you think you are stooping down to the cop's level, or even lower? He is charging you with a crime you never committed & you are falsely alleging(lying) that he is harassing the lady accompanying you.
Instead, why not take the correct action like mentioned by members in the above posts.
Old 16th July 2010, 16:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Guys trust me no one wants to get into a situation like that, especially in a remote Ghat section, there can be 1000s of things these guys might wanna put on your head, I remember once one of my friend and his girlfriend were picked up from a park along with other couples. even though they said they are in love and will be getting married the Cops got couple of local media channel and paraded them infront of the media saying they caught them doing immoral activities in a park, trust me i dont wanna know how dirty these blood suckers can get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
By doing this, don't you think you are stooping down to the cop's level, or even lower? He is charging you with a crime you never committed & you are falsely alleging(lying) that he is harassing the lady accompanying you.
Instead, why not take the correct action like mentioned by members in the above posts.
Well that's the whole point, Couldn't agree more

Pramod
Old 16th July 2010, 17:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

@Pramod - Just forget it; I know its easy to say than experiencing. Who knows, f I were at your place, probably I would've lost my day fighting over 100 bucks. Anyway, these are unavoidable when you've a car running out of state registration.

Probably, if you would've challenged further, he could've asked you for CT clearances etc. Having your sister besides you, I think you did a right thing to move on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks