Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2010, 04:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Off late, I have started enjoying slow driving on good roads! Not sure if this is related to quick aging.
vasoo you got that spot on
So now the next time there is someone trundling along in the right lane of the expressway, I know who is responsible for spreading the malice.

Confession time : There are times when I do that too but no food or talking, music etc. just the hum of the motor under the hood, that is bliss.
Having a significant other for company necessitates music and/or conversation that is nice too but the drives alone are nirvana
Old 7th August 2010, 06:49   #17
BHPian

For me its speeding up the car to above 100 on a good smooth highway, and as soon as i see a slight slope downwards approaching, i just put it in neutral, relax all my limbs, take a deep breath and let it roll, just let it roll until it stops on its own. It is sooooo relaxing!

You guys should try this sometime! But be careful!
Old 7th August 2010, 13:23   #18
BHPian

Slow being relative to what one usually drives at - right? I don't drive slow if there is a destination that I want to reach. Doesn't matter if I reach a little earlier. Add to the fact do road conditions allow you to drive slow?

When the entire family goes out for a drive, no aim, just a random direction and a 100 km jouney in mind, I take smaller roads which force me to drive slowly. I enjoy those rides.
Old 7th August 2010, 15:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

I enjoy driving slow (80-100kmph) during long distance trips. Makes for a safer journey and gives me awesome fuel economy.

Shan2nu
Old 7th August 2010, 15:57   #20
MX6
Senior - BHPian

+1 Shan2nu.
I do the same. And what's more, I hate quick accelerations or decelerations. It has to be gradual. And I also hate too many gear changes. I just love the gentle wafting on the roads.
Old 7th August 2010, 18:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
vasoo you got that spot on
So now the next time there is someone trundling along in the right lane of the expressway, I know who is responsible for spreading the malice.

I never mentioned that I will be on the right lane at 50kmph! It is not very easy to ignore the urge from iVtec though..
Old 7th August 2010, 19:23   #22
BHPian

Even I realized quite recently that I do the same. Enjoy the slow drive and not give in to the urge to drive fast.
I am usually between 50 - 60 within the city and between 80 - 90 on the highways.
Old 7th August 2010, 19:56   #23
BHPian

I drive slow (literally you can race me if you a sunny or a scooty) if I have to reach to a destination that I hate going to. Well then while returning back I drive fast to get far away from it
Old 7th August 2010, 20:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Slow for me would be < 3000 rpm, i rarely take my car > 3000 rpm, infact my tacho's shift light is set at 3k . At top gear with a straight surface,with the tacho needle around 3000 rpm translates to around 70kmph for my carbed 800.
Old 7th August 2010, 20:20   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Off late, I have started enjoying slow driving on good roads! Not sure if this is related to quick aging. I just love cruising at about 50 kmph on GQ type roads. I love the relaxed, non-rushed feeling, peace of mind, silence, outside weather etc.
Does anyone enjoy slow driving here?
YES!, after age 42+ I too am a converter to slow driving.
Primary advantage is safety, then it is stress-free, no road-rage, saving on fuel bills, less wear & tear on the car, etc.

I regularly get 15+ to 16+ on my Civic-AT on our new 4-lane roads.
I keep steady speeds of 70 to 85 kmph.
Old 7th August 2010, 20:29   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Yes, but not as slow as 50 kmph! I like to keep the engine rpm in the comfort cruise range.
+1. Thats what I always do. Never liked the engine to get worked up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
I enjoy driving slow (80-100kmph) during long distance trips. Makes for a safer journey and gives me awesome fuel economy.
Shan2nu
Thats my speed limit all the time. Never went beyond.

The rpm of 2K-2.2K with speeds hovering about 80-90 is real cruise and pleasure on GQ.
Old 7th August 2010, 20:53   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

My wife tells me that there are times when my driving is bit too much like that of a Chennai taxi driver. On the other hand, I can do whole journeys barely exceeding 40, including stretches of road where 60-80 would be possible, although not legal. It's relaxing!
Old 7th August 2010, 21:15   #28
Senior - BHPian

Need to try it out next time, when I was on a highway trip. Safety is more important than how many kms you cover per hour or how quick you reach your destination. Hope this turns out enjoyable to me as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post

Shan2nu
Have seen your track day videos..and u say your preferable speed range on highways citing safer and FE reasons. Lesson Taken
Old 7th August 2010, 21:18   #29
BHPian

While I really enjoy the feeling of lazily cruising at slow speeds ~ 50-60 with music in the background, I'm almost never able to do so because of lack of suitable roads as well as because of the inherent "rushed" nature of my lifestyle.
Old 7th August 2010, 21:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

50kmph is a little too slow for my liking especially if it is on the highways even though I am not a speed addict ! Depending on the vehicle I am using, 60 to 80kmph would be more like it !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks